Picked up my 09 today....my inital thoughts....

sporti

Reaction score
I put 130k's on the bike today, between picking it up & going for a spin this evening, there are a few things that I think will definitely need attention.

The seat has to go, would be useless for country riding, it's probably just being broken in, but the order of the gel seat was a great idea.
As reported, the suspension is soft, good for taking a passenger, though this will be addressed before I take the bike out again. I'll be interested to see just how firm I can set the stock gear. It'll be replaced eventually, but I need to see how good it can be made as it was delivered.
The snatchy throttle at low revs definitely exists on my bike. Some people don't see to have it as much & I mentioned in another thread, there are 3 or 4 things that can be done to address this, without having to ride around the problem. I'm sure you'd get used to it in no time though.

The good;

Clearly the motor is very good. Very good. B mode for poking around the slow stuff, STD I haven't really used & a play with A mode, winding it on in 3rd from 60kph points the wheel skyward with ease.
The box needs firm, positive shifts. I am sure this will smooth out with a bit of use.
The headlight is extremely bright. I was spotting low flying aircraft when I flicked high beam on, though my pillion & soft suspension would account for this.
Brakes are awesome, when I apply the front though, there is a faint "ticking" sound. I have no fkn idea what this is, I'll get my google-fu on shortly, still exceptional stopping power.

That's about it for my 1st impression.
Am I glad I bought this bike?

Hell yes! I knew going into it there would be some work to do to make some improvements. I do this with all my bikes regardless.

Reaction score
Cant believe how many of these are already in Perth!

Thats a pretty good sized review on it. I like that you have to do a few modifications to make it just right, because 'just right' is different for everyone and everyones will be slightly different.

Next week if you can we should go for a ride Sporti

sporti

Reaction score
I'm keen, I need to clock up the 1000k's before Saturday week.

I'll update the post in the Perth section.

Reaction score
I read a lot of contradictory reports on soft suspension, not just between different regions like EU and NA, but also within OZ. One of the first reports I read by Boris in MCN didn't raise any issues and he is not a slim lad. I realise that his bike would have been carefully adjusted by Yamahaha for the test, but what have real people found?

Reaction score
Personally I think it's way to soft...needs adjusting as soon as usual can...

But is there sufficient adjustment there already or does it need changing of springs etc.? I don't have problems if its just adjustment, but changes mean that it has to be budgeted as part of the purchase.

The reason I say contradictory is that I have read magazine/e-zine reports and whilst some have said about soft suspension, one talked about harsh suspension and another, written by a chunky lad around my weight, made no comment at all.

Reaction score
It is possible to sort it with just the stock suspension but I guess it depends on how u ride and if ur gonna do track says on it etc. I left mine stock but set it up for my requirements and it's fantastic now..!

Reaction score
It is possible to sort it with just the stock suspension but I guess it depends on how u ride and if ur gonna do track says on it etc. I left mine stock but set it up for my requirements and it's fantastic now..!

Thanks. I'm wondering if there are regional variations in spring rates etc., but haven't found anything definitive on that so far.

Reaction score
Not that I knw of. I'm lead to believe it is set up for an 11 stone person and as I'm 13 stone it had to be changed...!

sporti

Reaction score
I think that weight would be fine for the stock suspension. I'm now under 80kgs & have workable suspension for the usual poking around. I'm still to get out & wring its neck...