Post your suspension settings here.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've bought the akrapoviç race...
Flogging the Two Brothers system with the power commander (including the dyno tech map)...the PCV will come free for anyone who buys the zorst before I split them up and stick them on eBay for more

l34chy

Reaction score
Anything other than flat mine just can't hack Derbyshires B roads which are rough and rural. As soon as I get back into Notts it copes. Not brilliant but copes. Throw £1500 at the suspension to make it work and I would have been better off buying another GS BMW.
But the engine is good, no faulting the torque of the MT.
Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah that's my thoughts on the mt i have acquired zx10 rear shock and spoke to richard at maxton not sure which way to go yet

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Saved myself the trouble of sorting the front and rear of the MT. I sold it and bought the BMW and didn't spend anything like the £1500. The ESC is awesome, press a button and it alters the suspension.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Kinjane

Reaction score
You don't have to spend anything on the '09suspension (except maybe the cost of a longer screwdriver) if you fit its design parameters ;)

Another GS was on my shortlist but didn't make it because of the weight and problems getting on the thing.

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Already started diet to shift some of my 17stone. Seems to be cheaper option than full suspension upgrade ;-)

marcusfordus

Reaction score
You don't have to spend anything on the '09suspension (except maybe the cost of a longer screwdriver) if you fit its design parameters ;)

Another GS was on my shortlist but didn't make it because of the weight and problems getting on the thing.
So you can't have anything more than a 32" inside leg measurement, weigh less than 13&half stone and have billiard table smooth roads where you live.

The 800GS sure is a tall bike, it's higher than the 1200's but much lighter. The MT is seriously light but hard to manhandle around because of the lack of contact points to grab hold of.

I also like getting 75mpg a lot :eek:

Roll on Yamaha getting their adventure frame ready for the 09's engine. That will be a belter of a bike.

Last edited:

tomamoto

Reaction score
I've bought the akrapoviç race...
Flogging the Two Brothers system with the power commander (including the dyno tech map)...the PCV will come free for anyone who buys the zorst before I split them up and stick them on eBay for more
which one is this race akropovic do you mean a carbon one?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
which one is this race akropovic do you mean a carbon one?
Yes this little beauty lol. The carbon one is called the Akrapovič race

Ordered it middle of last week from the good old US of A and it is due or delivery tomorrow...! Lol

Kinjane

Reaction score
So you can't have anything more than a 32" inside leg measurement, weigh less than 13&half stone and have billiard table smooth roads where you live.

The 800GS sure is a tall bike, it's higher than the 1200's but much lighter. The MT is seriously light but hard to manhandle around because of the lack of contact points to grab hold of.

I also like getting 75mpg a lot :eek:

Roll on Yamaha getting their adventure frame ready for the 09's engine. That will be a belter of a bike.

Well the leg and weight bit are right, but weight loss due to life saving medication and a recent unwanted increase in metabolism means I'm currently hovering under 70Kgs and worried. I'm carrying some extra weight in a pack to maintain the status quo.
However being within what seems to be a very small design parameter for the '09 rider weight means I can get away with keeping the stock suspension - Sure it's not as good as an aftermarket unit but it's adequate.
Unfortuantely the stock unit is not really suitable for the heavier rider. The OEM spring weight is matched to a damping rate which is not particularly good to begin with, but swapping out the spring to compensate for extra rider weight means that the damping will end up totally useless at best.

However after a lot of mileage up and down a number of local roads and having finally discovered a damping/preload combo that works for me which keeps the bike steady yet comfortable enough that the uneven road surfaces do not unduly upset the throttle position at lower speeds seems close to miraculous considering what has been given to work with.

I'd have liked another new Beemer and it was certainly up near the top of my shortlist but the MT ticked more of the important boxes. Purchase cost and MPG weren't even on the list :)

Kinjane

Reaction score
Now that Akrapovič race is a nice looking system !
The higher flow rate through the tubeing loop instead of being fed into the OEM back box will be very beneficial :) :) :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that Akrapovič race is a nice looking system !
The higher flow rate through the tubeing loop instead of being fed into the OEM back box will be very beneficial :) :) :)
Yes it will. Beneficial to the tune of 132.6bhp...lol

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Well the leg and weight bit are right, but weight loss due to life saving medication and a recent unwanted increase in metabolism means I'm currently hovering under 70Kgs and worried. I'm carrying some extra weight in a pack to maintain the status quo.
However being within what seems to be a very small design parameter for the '09 rider weight means I can get away with keeping the stock suspension - Sure it's not as good as an aftermarket unit but it's adequate.
Unfortuantely the stock unit is not really suitable for the heavier rider. The OEM spring weight is matched to a damping rate which is not particularly good to begin with, but swapping out the spring to compensate for extra rider weight means that the damping will end up totally useless at best.

However after a lot of mileage up and down a number of local roads and having finally discovered a damping/preload combo that works for me which keeps the bike steady yet comfortable enough that the uneven road surfaces do not unduly upset the throttle position at lower speeds seems close to miraculous considering what has been given to work with.

I'd have liked another new Beemer and it was certainly up near the top of my shortlist but the MT ticked more of the important boxes. Purchase cost and MPG weren't even on the list :)

Or a centre stand ? I've got one and it makes the bike a mountainous structure when it's deployed.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Centre stand was on the list but I knew I could get a Hepko&Becker from Motobins which ticked that particular box. Fitted shortly after getting the bike :)

boro

Reaction score
Hi All

Just managed to blag a ZX10R (08,09,10) from fleabay. So looking for anyone who has a video or advice on fitting? I know I'll have to drill the bottom bolt hole to 12mm but that is about as far as I've worked out. Also anyone got any base settings I'm about 210 all up and like to do late apex and push it on its side before I gradually wind on the juice.
Cheers

stunva

Reaction score
This morning I took the forks off again and replaced the oil with 15W, I've used 10W for the last few months and it was better than stock.

This time around I also increased the volume by 20ml in each leg, so roughly 480ml in the RH and 500ml in the LH.

I had the rebound at full hard with the 10W and 5 rings up of pre load. Now I have reset the pre load to 3 rings up ( I don't know what I doing at 5 before :confused:) and the the rebound is 1.5 out from full hard.

I also lifted the forks through 6mm.

I weigh 70kgs, or 155lbs to you heathens.

It made a remarkable difference, best $20 mod I've done in ages. Approximatley 20km/hr quicker through the same corner as before.
No head shake at all anymore but maybe a slight drift wide on apex which I think I can tune out with the shock.

Being short and light I thought I'd persists with the stock forks and it looks like it may have paid off. There is still a little popping up as the brakes are release but maybe 50% or 40% of what there was prior, so very easy to live with now.

This bike also has a four way Elka shock of a Hayabusa fitted.

I have a set of braided lines to buy and put on it now and then off to the twisties for more tuning and then a track day in Dec.:D

My Toy

Reaction score
15w oil has been a favourite mod for all my Hondas, I think I'll give this a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soapy

Reaction score
Bike Magazine

Just been reading the Bike Magazine. The tester seems to be going against the general feeling of most of the Forum for the Front Suspension settings. He has set the Front Preload at 6 1/2 rings and rebound at 1 turn from fully out. He took it round Snetterton like that and was pretty happy. Has anybody tried anything similar. I've scanned the page but you will have to zoom in to read it. Apologies if somebody has already cited it.

the voices

Reaction score
Just been reading the Bike Magazine. The tester seems to be going against the general feeling of most of the Forum for the Front Suspension settings. He has set the Front Preload at 6 1/2 rings and rebound at 1 turn from fully out. He took it round Snetterton like that and was pretty happy. Has anybody tried anything similar. I've scanned the page but you will have to zoom in to read it. Apologies if somebody has already cited it.
just noticed this on the challenge nine bikes in france, they also all have around 6 rings showing on the front preload, i am still trying to find out what they are allowed to do with there forks, cant see that they are running standard, im on one ring ohlins springs and 10 oil with 10mm more each to there own on feel i suppose.