Riding experience - MT-09 vs ZX-6R & Shiva 750

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some info on the MT-09. Been reading tons of reviews and infos online, in the forum and youtube..... etc.. Really wants some more users' personally opinion. I've been riding sports bikes all my life, currently riding a ZX-6R. Thing is, I love the high revs and the speed but really want some more grunt down below, so naturally I'm looking at the MT.

Recently borrowed a friend's Shiva 750 just to try out to see if I like a more straight up riding position. Love the torque but in traffic, at low rev, below say 3500rpm, the bike is very jerky, I have to ride in 1st gear and constantly engaging and disengaging the clutch so the bike is always "on and off" which gets a bit frustrating after a while. It's like the bike is always shackled and always on the leash. With my ZX-6R the throttle is always silky smooth, even if I ride with a higher gear at a lower rev, the bike still feels great and no vibration what so ever. So I'm not sure if it's the V twin or the ride-by-wire problem. I'd imagine it's the ride-by-wire, but I haven't had too many experience with V twins either. I've read so much about the ride-by-wire problem with the MT, wonder if anyone has any experience with both bikes. How both bikes compare in that department. Although with the Shiva, I have been riding in sports mode, maybe that's one of the problem. Still testing and getting used to the bike. I can definitely push my ZX a lot harder and a lot faster. The steering just feels so much more assure and stable. Another reason might be I have a Ohlins damper on my ZX and no damper on the Shiva. Anyway, the Shiva is quite a nice bike but to me the engine just feels a bit lazy, the throttle isn't quite as sharp as I'd like, there always seems to be a small delay.

I'm hoping to get a bike that's light and nimble, at the same time, powerful. Basically a sports bike with more low end torque. The perfect bike for me would be my ZX-6R with MT's grunt, obviously that's not gonna happen, but I'd gladly take the next best thing. From my understanding the MT is more a cross over of sports / street & a bit of off road. I know the suspension is a bit soft to be a sports bike but that can be fixed with some hard earned cash. My question is if the suspension is fixed, would it perform close to a sports bike? The handling, sharpness..... etc.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Get R1 big bang in that case. If u like speed than naked bike is not an option. I cant ride above 90mph for longer than 10 minutes. But thats why i changed my big bang for mt.

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still a bit back and forth on what to get. A MT or the good old sports bike. I like speed, but it isn't the only thing I'm looking for in a bike. Bottom line is, it has to give a huge grin on my face. Can't afford a brand new R1, so I'm pretty much looking at whatever is available. MT-09, GSx-R750, R1 are all possible options. Just wanted to try something different but being a bit cautious. Didn't want to jump into something I might regret.

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Test ride will answer your doubts. I had 2010 big bang and it pulls hard from.the bottom. Realy does. When.I rode my wife's MV F4 which is more powerfull than yamie, I used to say that the bike is boring up to 8k revs. When r1 was a bullet straight from the bottom. Pretty much same as mt

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Thanks, that's great to know. I wish, I could go on a test ride, unfortunately, I don't think any brand offers test ride out here! Freaking ridiculous considering the price of the bikes nowadays!

Speed Freak

Reaction score
So how does the MT compares on handling and throttle response? I know it's nowhere close at the top range but then again I rarely go above 160-170km nowadays, so I have no problems with the MT's top speed.

flydnb

Reaction score
Ok mate just to put a few things straight for you, the MT is all about fun at more sensible speeds although doesn't mean it cant go well above sensible ask Richie who has had his ecu flashed and it has the limiter on 5th and 6th gear removed so it revs out like the other gears so 150 mph+ is no problem for the bike at all , its definitely not an off road bike at all contrary to what a couple of videos floating around seem to suggest, it has a supermoto riding position but its a lot lower in height , I would class the bike as a naked roadster motard crossover, the best thing about the bike is the engine and the weight , as for the throttle some people have had theres flashed by Yamaha to stop jerkiness but I haven't had a problem at all and after 5k miles it seems smoother than ever now I ride everywhere in A mode which is the most aggressive setting for power delivery , personally I love the bike and it makes a lot of sense to me and the lack of fairing is like a personal checker for me, I love the acceleration and I have looked at figures against litre bikes all over the net in the states and Europe and the 1/4 mile times are almost the same hardly anything in it and 0-60 its actually quicker than a few probably down to gearing, its a bargain bike but with another 1000gbp can be a fantastic bike.

marksim

Reaction score
I went from the 1000cc sportbikes a couple of years ago after a 6 month speeding ban and got a KTM SDR.
The idea was to slow me down but afraid the KTM was more of a Hooligan bike than any other id ridden.
Anyway after a car hit me and was recovering from 2 broken wrists and fingers i started to look aropund and came across the MT.
After riding i fell in love and couldnt remember having so much fun on a bike.
Anyway i bought one and certainly have no regrets,it never fails to put a smile on my face.
Yes ive upgraded the suspensionj and puts loads of bits on it but ive no intension of getting rid.
I used to race bikes and still do plenty of trackdays but for the road i dont think you need anything else.
I have a ex BSS R6 for the track,RD400e,RGV 250 and the MT for road.
Best thing you can do as mentioned above is take a test ride.
The triple for me is the best of both worlds as a road bike and sounds mint with the Carbon Akra on.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I had a 2005 ZX636 a few years ago, the C model with the underseat exhaust. This is the best 600 sportsbike I have ridden, mainly due to being 36cc bigger than the competition, and tuned more for real world riding than chasing massively bhp figures at the expense of low and mid range power.
If you like big power from low revs, you will love the MT.
Its hard to directly compare a sports bike to a naked, motard style of bike. The ZXR handles better, brakes better and is quicker, and round a track or going mental on roads you know, you will be quicker on the ZXR.
That said, I find the MT more fun, and a better bike which is more enjoyable to ride is your planning to ride sensibily (ish)

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Cheers for all the feebacks. Mine is a 03 ZX636, it was at the begining of time, when Kawasaki kick started their "revolution". Brilliant bike, Not much ellectronic stuff just pure, good old mechanical piece of machine! Saw a speed triple on the market in great condition, pratically new, but the owner wants too much for it. With the money he wants, I could get a MT + full exhaust system. Always wanted to try an in-line 3 engine. I always fine the in-line 4 to be a bit too heavy and wide. I was sure my next bike will be a MT but after riding my friend's shiva, I'm having a bit of a doubt. I understand the engine charateristic is completely different, that's why I just wanted to make sure.
I'm not bothered about the top speed of the bike at all, the fastest I did on mine was just above 120 mph, which the MT has no problem with, and I rarely go that fast anyway. I'm more concern about cornering, Fun is definitely the essence of riding for me. That's why I'm really really looking into the MT.
I think I'll give my friend's shiva a good thrashing for now and probably end up ordering a racing blue MT in a few months time! Unless something unbelievable pops up the market.

flipper

Reaction score
Have you not read all the posts about the crap suspension? It handles ok for what it is but needs money spending to make it good.

Speed Freak

Reaction score
Of cause I have, and read many have upgraded their suspension with ohlins or hyperpro streetbox for example. That's why I'm asking, IF I get the suspension sorted, would it handle well. Would it handle close to a sports bike.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
If you are a light weight rider (less than 75kg) then you find that suspension is OK for everyday commuting.
The mt-09 has "super-engine",its torquey and smooth from 1000rpm till 10000rpm.
A best value-for-money bike that makes you a sharp-rider.
When you mention Shiva 750, do you mean the Aprilia Shiver 750 or what ??

flipper

Reaction score
Of cause I have, and read many have upgraded their suspension with ohlins or hyperpro streetbox for example. That's why I'm asking, IF I get the suspension sorted, would it handle well. Would it handle close to a sports bike.
mmmmmmmmm........... yes but no. It's very light and powerful, of course, but I have to say it doesn't handle as well as a CBR600 say. It's a different animal. Much higher up seating and viewing position allows you to make very rapid progress.

It handles no worse than a Shiver, but the front end of that is pretty poor too. It wouldn't hold a light to your ZX-6R on the track.

Last edited: