servicing and warranty question...

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
do I have to take the bike to a Yamaha dealer for servicing to keep the warranty or, unlike with those robbing feckers at Triumph, can I have it serviced at any garage/dealer ?

thanks

flipper

Reaction score
it does not have to be serviced by a Yamaha dealer to maintain the warranty.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
thanks flipper...

on the same note, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the service schedule/checklist ?

thanks again

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
thanks all, much appreciated... gonna save a fortune on servicing then, spent nearly a grand servicing my street triple in 7 months :(

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Nearly a £1000, what the hell was up with the thing, did you absolutely wear it all out ???
15,800 miles is what I did to it, oil/filter change every 3k in between the Triumph $ervice$, that's not including the 6 rear and 3 front tyres + originals

alan_manic

Reaction score
So is the MT09 service interval 600 miles then 6000 miles? What if you only do say 2000 miles per year? I was thinking to change the oil and filter myself yearly and keep the receipts for the service history. What's everyone else's thoughts?

Locksmith

Reaction score
Got a feeling it 6000/1 year (what ever comes first) intervals. Once out of warranty do it yourself remembering to clean/check brakes check head and wheel bearings and chain and sprockets. Write it in the service book as you do it.

flipper

Reaction score
I'll service it myself at 6k intervals and record it in the service book. I have a stack of Silkolene semi synthetic to get through but usually I'll use any semi syn that I can get cheap.

If you do end up changing your oil after 2k please bottle it and send it to me cos it'll still be like new.

alan_manic

Reaction score
So is it 6000k miles or a year if before? Can anybody clear this up for me please. TT you are the man with all the info. Thanks in advance.

flipper

Reaction score
the annual check in the handbook is similar to but smaller than the 6000 mile service. handbook says an annual check unless a mileage based service is done. I've never bothered. Jap stuff doesn't tend to break and Yamaha can't refuse a warranty claim on the reg/rec for example just because you didn't change the oil.

do you have a handbook? if not you can download a pdf from Yamaha or I can email it to you.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So is it 6000k miles or a year if before? Can anybody clear this up for me please. TT you are the man with all the info. Thanks in advance.
If ur in the UK its mileage based inspections/servicing.

• The annual checks must be performed every year, except if a kilometer-based maintenance, or for the UK, a mileage-based maintenance, is performed instead.
• From 50000 km (30000 mi), repeat the maintenance intervals starting from 10000 km (6000 mi).

Last edited:

alan_manic

Reaction score