Sheffield Motorcycle Center - the best service ever experienced

Stripy

Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I went online to smcbikes.co.uk and found the MT-09 pages.
On there, was also a link to request a Part/ex valuation.
Completed the form and went to bed. Didn't know what to expect.
Next morning, went to work and had forgotten everything already.

At 10 past 9, I received a call on the mobile. It was Nigel from SMC. We had a good chat about my "old" bike and he said he would try to find out of a good price.
30 mins later, he called back, gave me an offer, and after a bit of negotiation I was matured, ready to go for the question of how to finance it. "Alright", Nigel said "I'll get some numbers put together for you and call you back, if that's OK with you?" Oh yeah sure, I thought and expected to hear an expecive finance deal.
Nigel called back not long after, and gave first price, on a PCP to keep the price low. It was a higher interest agreement through Black Horse. Not for my cup of tea, and what I had been offered from another dealer.
"Not a problem. We do have other lenders we can ask, so I will go ahead and plough through the market for you - we want you to be happy with both bike AND deal!"
20 mins later, Nigel was on the phone again, "Morten, it's Nigel again. We've got you a CRACKING deal. Am I ok to disturb you a bit more?" Oh yeah, let me hear
Well, short story long, much less monthly payment, interest only 2,3%, no deposit! and it's my bike.
Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe it. It was a Cracking deal, Nigel had got for me. Dollar signs in my eyes, and I hope there was as many for Nigel, when I told him we had a deal.
Bike was promised ready for Friday afternoon, as long I could arrange insurance and they could accept my bike.

Friday went really fast, and all of a sudden, it was 15:00; time to leave and get the last ride on the Ducati.
Weather wasn't looking too great, I had brought my rain gear, just to be sure, you know..
Up through the Peak District, right towards Sheffield, and I was both excited and nervous. New bike - but... What if they wouldn't accept my bike?
Arrived in Sheffield, grey and dull, rain clouds gone though.
Just sorting the bag and rain gear, and out of the shop came Nigel and Jan, greeted and presented them self, and looked straight for my bike.
What a nice first impression.
Jan was handed the key, Nigel and I went inside to start looking on papers together with James.
Very thorough explanation, and not at any time, I felt pressured or limping service from any of the staff. Always a good open smile, a little laugh there was room for as well. I felt so much welcome, and could feel they really cared about their customer. Not a single time they had forgotten my name or any detail. All people involved knew exactly what they where dealing with - and knew all details.
Also, by splitting the process up, it was pretty organized.

Time went fast, and after the finance was through (there is a lot of the legal stuff, you need to run through), it was finally time to do the "real" handover of the MT-09.
A bit over an hour after arriving, we where outside and started my beautiful badboy-bike for the very first time.
ARHH WHAT A JOY, and such a big smile. I love this sound. I love this bike.
Quickly through the breaking in period, "Just behave a little bit, I know you've ridden for many years so you're already sensible enough to know what it's all about, don't wreck it, take it easy and quick up through the gears without labouring, and you'll be good to go. I'm looking forward to see you here for the first service, and hear your story about this bike. In fact, I'd love you to just pop in whenever you can, it would be so nice" and Nigel reached his hand out to say goodbye with a firm Yorkshire handshake, that confirmed we both where very happy with the deal and situation.

And then, at 17:50, I was on the bike, towards Manchester, over Snake Pass.
Oh my glorious goodness, what a trip home. Thinking back it makes me a bit soft, it was such a pleasure!
Filled up for the first time in Glossop, and then got home.

A few ride outs during Saturday and Sunday, totally fun. After about 80 miles, my chicken strips where all gone!! This IS a badboy. Me likes :D

Anyway, this long post is more about the excellent service from SMC.

So, Monday came, back to work, showing of the new wonder to my colleagues, and just waiting for 16:00, so I could get out to play on the new toy.
Suddenly, Nigel was on the phone again. What now, something wrong, I remember I thought. No no, Nigel just wanted to make sure, that everything was alright with me and the bike, just pure service and interest.
Wauw.

Never have I ever experienced such a great service from anywhere during the time, I've lived in UK (a bit over 4 years).

Also, it turns out, that the bike will be data tagged for free, and Nigel have arranged it now to be completed on the first service.

Yesterday I called the service dept to arrange the MT's first service.
When I mentioned the bike, they knew exactly who I was and the data tags where to be fitted, I want to wait during service etc.
THAT is Customer care.
THAT is what SMC Bikes are all about.
I'm looking forward to go see Nigel and all the other nice people at Sheffield Motorcycle Center again.

Big enough to cope - small enough to care, as some other Yorkshire man once said on telly.

rob5006

Reaction score
Thats pretty much how it happened to me. Quality service. Quality staff.
Having my bitch delivered next week all being well.
(Talking about the MT09 not the girlfriend ) lol.

rob5006

Reaction score
can you believe that i am on the verge of collecting a new mt09 from Sheffield motorcycle centre wich is a 140 round trip (via mway)
yet my local dealer-ROBINSONS of Rochdale' still havent contacted me regarding a test ride which i booked nearly a month ago!
(only 2 miles from my house-what an easy sale/commission that would have been!)
Yet there is an article in this months ride magazine about supporting your local dealer!
In my book, the service is part and parcel of buying a bike. Local dealer or not, I like my custom and loyalty to be VALUED!.
sheffield motorcycle centre gives me that so worth the trip out.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
What a beautiful story! I'm glad for you. ;-)
People usually write to express their anger about something or someone. I think it's also very important to highlight things that are going well.

In my book, the service is part and parcel of buying a bike. Local dealer or not, I like my custom and loyalty to be VALUED!
I do totally agree with that. I did more or less 65 miles (round trip) to buy my MT-09 despite the fact that there are two other Yamaha dealers in my neighborhood. But both of them couldn't be contacted or didn't reply to my emails. The other one ("ZoneRouge", in Andenne, BE) replied immediately and took a lot of time to answer all my questions and to offer me the best possible price for my bike.
I really don't care about supporting my local dealer if he's an asshole! To be happy with your purchase is one thing. But pre-sales and post-sales service is at least as much important, isn't it? Unfortunately, more and more dealers seem to neglect this aspect nowadays. I can only encourage you to do a few more miles to find satisfaction.

Stripy

Reaction score
can you believe that i am on the verge of... *snip*.. a 140 round trip (via mway)
:eek: NO! Don't tell me you are going the Motorway when we have the wonderful Peak District to go through - it would be a shame to go on the Motorway for such a long ride on your new bike.

ROBINSONS of Rochdale' still havent ...
Narh... they aren't interested in business. Heard and seen before with them. They are pretty good at throwing out lies though.
The shop is a part of KJM group, which reputation is not to be commented further........ ;)

rob5006

Reaction score
Having the bike delivered. Will allow my hard-on to cool down, have a brew, then see what she's got over familiar home ground to fully assess.
Might ride it to MCN Mr neeves and show him how to turn a throttle smoothly. (Snatchy ? I call it 'responsive ! )Muppet !
Might even catch Triumph handing mcn staff 'brown envelopes!'.
(For a favourite charity of course!) LOL