Strange noise

Cypher

Reaction score
Today my bike developed a strange noise. I think I've had it once before but only for a short while and then it disappeared.

I'm not quite sure how to explain it but it sounds like air (or liquid) snorting through a small hole. The more revs I add the louder it becomes.

I can't tell where exactly it's coming from but it sounds like it's somewhere below where the exhaust pipes are.

I shot a short video trying to catch the noise. It's not perfect but better than nothing.
You can hear it especially well at the very start. There's the base engine noise and then there's the snorting on top:
[video=youtube_share;kXfzuALs4HM]http://youtu.be/kXfzuALs4HM[/video]

Has anyone of you had anything similar on your bikes? Is it something I should check in a service?
Got me a bit worried as I don't like strange noises coming from my things :)

P.S.
It's not the induction noise. It's very "dirty" sounding, like a dry leaf stuck in a vacuum cleaner tube.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I cant hear anything unusual, apart from a clickong, is that from your camera? Does the bike run ok, and could something have been slipped into the exhaust pipe?

Cypher

Reaction score
I cant hear anything unusual, apart from a clickong, is that from your camera? Does the bike run ok, and could something have been slipped into the exhaust pipe?
The clicking is probably my fingers banging against the camera.

Regarding the exhaust - I suppose it could but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the exhaust pipe. It's almost in front of the bike, where the 3 pipes consolidate into one.

I'll keep monitoring and if it persists, might pop into a service on Saturday. I'll try making another video so that you can hear it. Maybe I should rev it so that it becomes more obvious.

Thanks for trying though! :)

Cypher

Reaction score
I uploaded a new video from tonight. You should be able to hear the noise in this one:
[video=youtube_share;fwIamVJO_kY]http://youtu.be/fwIamVJO_kY[/video]
(try turning the volume up a bit if you don't)

Chris West

Reaction score
I can't hear anything unusual either Cypher.
But you would be wise to drop by your dealership and get their opinion. Just to put your mind at rest.
And its another chance chance to buy more go faster goodies :)

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Cypher,
Don't want to piss on your chips but having also read your thread regarding very low MPG and now this strange noise, think you definitely need to take the bike back to the dealers asap.

Stripy

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't hear anything - but take it to the dealer and let them listen

Cypher

Reaction score
Cypher,
Don't want to piss on your chips but having also read your thread regarding very low MPG and now this strange noise, think you definitely need to take the bike back to the dealers asap.
I actually thought about the same. I wonder if it's related. I still have 300 miles to go till my first service so not sure if I should go now or wait 2-3 more weeks.
Tempted to do it ASAP and in fact I need to go to the one in South Woodford to cancel an order so might as well ask about the noise while I'm there.

Stosh

Reaction score
Hi Cypher,
Like the rest of the guys I can't hear anything on the video, you say the noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine area?
You sure the exhaust isn't blowing (leaking)? Start the bike and run your hands close to exhaust and see if you can feel any gases escaping (be careful not to touch it though as it'll be hot obviously! You could check the header bolts are tight too. I'm just hoping you haven't cracked a downpipe or something when you dropped it mate, like KatanaAl and SuperMotoBoy I'd get it back to the dealer if you've any doubts though

misscrabstick

Reaction score
A loose oxygen sensor would make a noise and increase fuel consumption due to making the system think lean mixture.

Cypher

Reaction score
Just a quick update.

Had my first sevice done yesterday and I obviously complained to the mechanic about the noise. He instantly said "That's camchain!". As he said as it's a new bike and a new model, Yamaha are a bit afraid to overtighten screws and bolts. The thing that was generating the noise is something with teeth which eventually got misaligned with the thing that connects to it and the teeth were rubbing against the other teeth instead of falling into the grooves.

I know it's a lame explanation but I'm not a technical person and that's all I remember from what he said :)

So, all he needed to do was reposition the "thing" and tighten the bolts and now the noise is gone!
Thankfully it wasn't anything serious. He said it's quite normal especially with Yamahas, which is a bit wrong if you ask me.

Last edited:

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Its quite interesting that its turned out to be the camchain because a dealer I was taking to recently said that his demo bike was making a strange noise and that also turned out to be the camchain.
Apparently there have been a few cases.

Cheers daps.:cool:

Cypher

Reaction score
Its quite interesting that its turned out to be the camchain because a dealer I was taking to recently said that his demo bike was making a strange noise and that also turned out to be the camchain.
Apparently there have been a few cases.

Cheers daps.:cool:
The guy didn't seem to be surprised at all. I almost didn't manage to finish my sentence when he already exclaimed "Camchain!". Sounds like it's a usual issue for them. Weird :)

Stripy

Reaction score
Hopefully just an easy, one-time fix, so you don't need to book an appointment..

Cypher

Reaction score
Hopefully just an easy, one-time fix, so you don't need to book an appointment..
Sounded like it. The way I understand is something wasn't tightened enough and moved a bit resulting in the teeth not falling into the opposite grooves. He said they needed to pull it back to its original position and tighten the screw that Yamaha didn't in the first place.

So is it a manual camchain tensioner on the bike?
Sounds like it. It could actually be the tensioner that he was talking about. Sorry guys for not being able to give you more details apart from my lame explanations :)