Tappet noise ????

Basil

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question. At about 4500-5500 rpm, accelerating, i can hear a tapping/clacking noise coming from the engine. I have only done 850km so far, and only noticed the noise last weekend, where i went for a 350 km ride. my first service is comming up soon. Anything i should be worried about??

Stripy

Reaction score
It's a new bike, so you might not be fully familiar yet with all the sounds it can/should/shouldn't make.

I'd ride it as one should, and then mention at first service in 150 km.
I wouldn't worry, unless it is a scary noise, and then you wouldn't be in doubt, something isn't right... :)

Chris West

Reaction score
I would just check the oil level through the wee view window (bike upright), it can't hurt.
But agree with SMB re getting used to new characteristics of the bike.

Basil

Reaction score
Thanks guys, on my way to work this morning, the noise stopped. Suspect cam chain tensioner clicked over to the next notch. All good:D

psychoattractor

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question. At about 4500-5500 rpm, accelerating, i can hear a tapping/clacking noise coming from the engine. I have only done 850km so far, and only noticed the noise last weekend, where i went for a 350 km ride. my first service is comming up soon. Anything i should be worried about??
I had the same noise at about 200-300 miles, it went away, first service is tomorrow (Finally!) so i'll mention it.

Fariel

Reaction score
need help here :(
started the bike and while waiting for it to warm up, saw smoke coming out but not sure from where and then this weird smell..damm. but after checking around, found out the birds just poop on my bikes right engine area. so, thought it could be due to this cause the smell does smell like shit. wash the bike up and the smoke & smell gone but after a day, the smells coming back but not that strong as per previously. the scary part is, an additional thing happened, now theres this rattling sound, as if somethings loose inside the engine. anyone have that weird smell or rattling sound?

cant go to dealer till weekend cause works been a bitch lately ~

Last edited:

Birdy

Reaction score
You lads should try riding a 1979 T140 Bonneville ! The noises mine used to make , especially before it went BANG ! Seriously tho , you will know when something not right , the bike has a whisper quiet standard pipe, i hear tinkles and rattles all the time , theres a lot of metal thrashing about down there ! If you are worried , get your dealer to have a look or for you lucky rich swines [not jealous] bolt on an akra ! Problem gone !:)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You lads should try riding a 1979 T140 Bonneville ! The noises mine used to make , especially before it went BANG ! Seriously tho , you will know when something not right , the bike has a whisper quiet standard pipe, i hear tinkles and rattles all the time , theres a lot of metal thrashing about down there ! If you are worried , get your dealer to have a look or for you lucky rich swines [not jealous] bolt on an akra ! Problem gone !:)
How old were u when I bought the Bonneville new Birdy lol. Seriously tho, ur rite on the sounds it makes... although with my incredibly expensive AND loud akra I don't hear a dam thing lol. Thank God for earplugs hahahahhaa

Birdy

Reaction score
The bonnie was just one of the many nails i have had the misfortune to call mine over the years TT ! For the record . i did not buy it new , im not that old or stupid..... it was 6 months old :) Plus one of the few [only] bikes i ever made money on !

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bonnie was just one of the many nails i have had the misfortune to call mine over the years TT ! For the record . i did not buy it new , im not that old or stupid..... it was 6 months old :) Plus one of the few [only] bikes i ever made money on !
Just kidding...ur only 10yrs older than me lol. I bet it sounded amazing tho didn't it...?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well it did till it went BANG ! lol The valve guides fell to bits , now THAT was some tappet noise ! You young whipper snappers dont know your born .... ;)
My dad always says that to me...lol. I say it to my boys as well lol. Must b a dad thing...
Actually....thinking about it....My old troop sergeant used to say it to us ALL the time as well...hahaha

flydnb

Reaction score
Well it did till it went BANG ! lol The valve guides fell to bits , now THAT was some tappet noise ! You young whipper snappers dont know your born .... ;)
rolf harris said this to me when I wrote to jiml fixit and jim granted my wish, rolf said "you young'uns don't know your born" as he very kindly painted my picture, he was great because he said I didn't even need clothes on, ahhh the good old days.

TT.IAN

Reaction score
I had an occasional clicking noise and nailed it down to stones flying up from the front wheel and hitting the stainless steel radiator guard.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I had the same noise at about 200-300 miles, it went away, first service is tomorrow (Finally!) so i'll mention it.
Okay, so i mentioned that the original fitted MT-09Cam Chain Tensioner had been superceded to the dealer just before the 600 mile service today. When i went to collect the bike they said that the were going to replace it under warranty as soon as the part is in. Turns out it was noisy, not that i noticed!

If anybody's interested they have a horrible looking Orange, and an equally unappealing Purple MT-09 ABS in stock. :p

Last edited: