Tires and suspension

Dzjiepie

I am still waiting for my MT09 to be delivered.
I wonder wich tyres the MT comes with.

Does anybody have experimented with the suspension?
In some tests I read that the suspension is not as it should be.

Can it be adjusted or do we have to look for other springs in the front and an other shock in the rear?

By the way .......... tyres are very important.
Who loves what brand and type? Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli or ..............

Stripy

Dzjiepie,

First of all, a big Belgian/Dutch welcome :)

My MT is equipped with Dunlop's - not the best, but still able to keep rubber side down :)
Once the rear is worn out, I'll go back to Michelin PR3's, which I had a terrific and great experience with on the taller and more powerful Ducati Multistrada 1200.
I'm not in to race track style (I say, and don't look at my signature now ;) ) - on the other hand, I can easily have fun on the road, as long there is room for the other road users, or more important, those who live where I go.
Okay, that was a detour from what you where asking about; now to the suspension.
Yes, rear suspension is best for a Japanese guy on 60kg, fully leathered. I'm slightly more than that....ahem!
Anyhow, I've not bottomed it out - on the other hand, I'm not sure, I'd get a pillion on yet.
I've adjusted the rear one notch harder, but think I can go one or two more - which then will be max.
I've noticed, that the spring is flat and linear, which just reflects the cheaper build quality.

I've looked on Hyperpro before, as one of my friends from Denmark is the distributor over there, and know they have pretty good quality for reasonable price.
A new rear spring, which is made special for you, should cost £89, or just a tad more than €100. Though, they are not available yet.
They do do full spring sets for £212, or €250, though still not available, but likely to come soon.
I'm not sure, if you actually will be able to change the spring on the rear shock - but if you are, I'm happy to invest in that upgrade.
I'm so far pleased with the performance of the front forks; though still not set up the sag, as I haven't had any problem with the front suspension (or at least not aware of it).

That should also answer your last question, if we can adjust the suspension on the MT - we can, but not a full adjustment in every single way is possible though, but you can. It's all described in the manual.

Last edited:

SlanGlad

I wonder wich tyres the MT comes with.
Either BRIDGESTONE S20 or DUNLOP D214. It's random.

I'm happy with the Bridgestone S20 but will next opt for the Michelin Pilot Road 3 as advised by SuperMotoBoy. ;-)

stevecbr

Mine came with the Bridgestone S20's. I will change to Bridgestones BT023's or the new T30's when I need to replace.
The suspension is basic, and only has preload on the rear, and preload and rebound on the front.
I have increased my rear preload from notch 4 to 5, and decreased the front to 6 rings showing.
This basically puts more weight over the front, which gives me more confidence and suits my riding style better

trevorleigh

Mine came with the S20's which seem pretty good even in the wet, however I am a big fan of BT023's having fun them on Fazers for years, so depending on what mileage I get out of the S20's I may switch.

Being slightly heavier than the average Japanese test rider (14st) I spent a day and 200 miles playing with suspension. I have gone up 2 on both rear pre-load and rebound. One full turn of pre-load on the front and 2 turns of rebound. Much better for me, and still not to harsh.