Two Traceys and a Tractor do Europe

Spook99

Reaction score
So 6th May saw the beginning of the longest road trip for me so far. Myself and two mates, one on another Tracey and the other on his GS12000 Tractor.

Absolutely amazing trip, bikes didn't skip a beat. Ferry to St Malo, across France and up and over the Vosges Mountains, breathtaking, not the biggest mountains in the world, but great roads and the French seem to love bikers. Dropped down into Bavaria and through the Black Forest, lunch on Lake Constance (stunning lake with the Alps in view on the other side, but really crappy traffic anywhere near the lake) and stopped going east after day 3 in southern Germany in a town called Shwangau (home to the chitty-chitty-bang -bang castle, made for good GS jokes), right on the Austrian border.
Day 4 - 10th May!! We'd thought about doing the Stelvio pass, we knew it was closed but thought we'd head that way anyway and see what the day brought. We'd had dry weather all the way and this was no different. Out of Germany, got our Austrian motorway vignettes, through the absolutely breathtaking scenery of Austria with great roads, one 6.5 km tunnel, didn't know whether to look at the roads or the mountains. Popped out the bottom of Austria into Italy, if you missed the border it wasn't a problem, it was obvious as the roads conditions went from pretty good to pretty crappy, but nothing could take the grin of my face. We started up the Stelvio, past the road closed sign until the road was actually closed, all took a piss to mark the fact we'd got that far, went back down and 20 mins later took a left into Switzerland. It was as if God had created the most beautiful country in the world, and then laid down the highest quality ribbon of tarmac to weave through it, then kept the road closed until we turned up! It was like the biggest playground in the world (well Europe)!! Over the Fuorn pass which has to rate as one of the best roads you could ever ride on. Then we jumped back into Austria and back to Shwangau in Germany. A good day on the bikes doesn't begin to explain it.
We had a good run home, day and half of rain, but didn't cause a problem.

Beforehand I'd heard that Switzerland is expensive and its pain with their francs, but put it on your biking bucket list.

Attachments

Unfazed

Reaction score
I've been to the Vosges and Black Forest the last 3 years on the bounce, going back in September this year as it's epic! No traffic and no straight roads.

Try Luxembourg round Vianden, also amazing