well , you was right

razz

Reaction score
after 3 n a bit years commuting on the fz8 , and then picking up the mt09 last year , the suspension bounce didn`t bother me much cos the fz8 was always super soft , so following a 600 mile week commute on the fz1 , i used the mt09 on the same roads , and bugger me , you lot were right , the rear shock is horrendous on the mt , bounced along like a goodun , can`t wait to get that changed now , the fz1 is sooooooooo planted compared to the mt , i luuurrrvvvvvvvv my toys :cool: had an easter egg today too ;)

Bon

Reaction score
Nitron shocks start around the 350 mark. [thats the one i have] Ohlins around the 500. Adriani fork upgrade around the 350 ish. Matris springs and cartridge set up was around 700 fitted.
There are more makers coming along now than when i had mine done.
Have a look around and you wull find them, Rear shock should be easy enough to diy. Forks depends on confidance and abillity with spanners. There are plenty on here that will offer useful advice on how to do it and what to watch out for.
I cheated/took the easy route and went to PDQ where i sat and drank coffee for a couple of hours and visited the local cafe for a full English while they did all the work for me.
Enjoyed the ride home though !

flipper

Reaction score
Rear shock is simple - 3 bolts, half an hour. Forks take half a day.

I fitted the GP Suspension revalve kit myself. It's not difficult but you need tools and confidence. A cartridge kit like Bon has is less fiddly.

To do either end you need to support the bike with the wheel off the ground.

Fluke

Reaction score
You could also fit a ZX10r shock (from the 08 or 09 model) if you want to save a few pennies.
About £100 delivered off ebay. Easy enough to fit but you do need to drill one hole out from 10mm to 12mm.
Made a massive difference!:D
More info elsewhere on the forum.
You can get Ohlins springs for the front, also about £100. Waiting to get mine fitted.
Have fun:)

Coopie

Reaction score
Or you could go for the ZX6RR shock . Mine is from 2007 bike . Yes you need to open up the lower mounting from 10 to 12 mm but that is easy .
I was really lucky to get hold of a Maxton GP10 that is only 6 months old for less than half price . There was a bit of fiddling about to get it in there
but God was it worth the effort . :D . I rode it yesterday for the first time since fitting it and was blown away .
The shock came in at 5mm longer after modding the lower mounting . Rather than take the easy route of just drilling out the hole with a 12mm
drill bit , I decided to offset the hole which saved it being 7mm longer overall .
I wish that I had measured the ride height before I started just to see how much change the longer shock has made to the ride height , but I didn't .
It is noticeably taller when I sit on the bike with my legs being straighter when I am at a standstill
Either way the steeper stance of the bike along with the quality of the shock has transformed the handling . I really hate the over use of the word
awesome , but on this occasion it is the real deal .
I think I will now go the whole hog and buy a set of the Andreani cartridges for the front . :)

Shock 3 - Copy.jpg

Locksmith

Reaction score
The thing is, buying a shock off an 07/08/09 bike, good chance they are past their sell by date anyway.

flipper

Reaction score
The thing is, buying a shock off an 07/08/09 bike, good chance they are past their sell by date anyway.
eggzackerly. The Maxton is worth it because you can have it serviced and revolved to suit, but an OE shock is unlikely to be as good as a proper built unit. Better than stock, but still room for improvement.

Coopie

Reaction score
Yup good point , if buying OE from a breaker or ebay . I was sooo lucky to get hold of this Maxton that was built last September 2014
I have the original receipt and I phoned Maxton as well to check , so it's like brand new

flipper

Reaction score
Ideally the MT09 Maxton................. give Maxton a call, they'll tell you all you need to know.

flipper

Reaction score
about £450 I think for the non remote reservoir version. Maxton have a pdf data sheet with all their options for the bike. I think you can request it online.

Nitron are a little bit cheaper starting at £400. Both are made in the UK and sprung to your weight.