What Made You Buy Your Current Bike?

windywildwendy

Reaction score
I was happy with my previous bike, after owning it for a couple of years I really got used to it. My boyfriend got me into bikes in the first place.
I just like how convenient they are and straight to the point. And I feel really sexy riding a bike compared to driving a car.
Anyways, my boyfriend then took me to a showroom that had the MT-09 and I fell in love with it.
So, we made a pact to persuade a parents to get us that bike so we could ride around the city like bike partners :)
And now I'm a proud owner of an MT-09.
What convinced you to purchase the bike that you currently own?

Brock Kickass

Reaction score
My current bike is an FZ1. I started out on an FZ6R. I had lots of dirt bikes and snowmobiles before that, but my 6R was the first bike I owned with smooth tires. I rode it for 2 full seasons. (In Canada, motorcycling is mostly a seasonal activity.) At the end I the first season I found myself wanting a bit more juice, and by the time I was back in the groove the next season I knew it was time to think about moving on.

I saw an FZ8 and fell in love with it. I knew it was the bike for me. I liked the specs of the FZ1, but I didn't like the look of it at all. I was Googling the FZ8 all the time at work dreaming about riding one when I stumbled on a picture of an FZ1N, which isn't available in North America. I liked the look of the headlight better and started trying I find out if I could convert an FZ8. That's how I learned I could convert an FZ1, and from then on there was no stopping me.

I looked at a CB10000F, and I looked at an MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, but I kept coming back to the FZ1N. It had more power than the Honda and it was better looking and more reliable than the Agusta. I was bent on owning one.

That winter, I took a parts list to my local Yamaha dealer and started laying the groundwork to have a (very rare for North America) dealer delivered brand new FZ1N. We got the parts and the bone in over the winter and started the build. I took the opportunity to have the tank and fender painted while the bike was apart and we got it put together just in time to ride. My profile pic is the first time I was on it. Notice the odometer reading.

I like my FZ1 a lot. So far, I have not seen a bone that makes me think it's time to think about trading. This Yamaha triple is dangerous, though. The FZ-09 is a great looking package, and I like the "diet" the bike has gone on. If Yamaha shows me a bike as powerful and as comfortable as my FZ1 that looks like an FZ-09 and is 50-75 pounds lighter than my bike I might have to do some serious soul searching. No matter what, I'm going to hit up a Yamaha demo day and try this thing out. It looks awesome.

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Wanted to jump to a bigger bike. I didn't like the look of the FZ8, and I didn't want to go super sport, so I decided to go to the FZ1. I always loved the look of it, so when I had the chance to get one, I took it!!

And now I'm a proud owner of an MT-09.
How is it that you have one before they are out?

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Financial reasons for me... Last 3 bikes were Yamaha, FZ6R, R6, FZ8 and loved them all. Money got tight and needed to trim back so sold the FZ8 and snagged up the Bandit for cheapo. Turned out to be an awesome bike, but in a year or so when my wife finishes school and starts working again, I will be looking for another bike most likely.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
I wasn't even planning on buying my motorcycle.I already had an active account with Yamaha from buying atv's.I went to the dealer one day after parts and they offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on the Fz6r.

LERecords

Reaction score
It was October of 05.. I had completed with rider course and had been looking at bikes for 10 years at least. had my heart set on an R6. The sales kid was 22 and I was 25 and he said "you don't want that. let me show you something you will love alot more". I decided to take a chance on my first bike due to not researching the actual bike, but i new alot about how good the engine was. 8 years and 23k miles later, I still absolutely love my bike!! i just think its time to get it a friend!!

Nelly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went to get a Suzuki SV650 and saw the FZ6, until then I had been away from bike for 5 years and didn't know it existed. Love at first sight lol, I want to get the MT-09 as my next bike. I have never been comfortable with the weight of the litre bikes and I'm very short.

Nelly

robodene

Reaction score
I have an MT-03. This replaced my TDM 900. The change was required because I needed a lower C of G and lighter bike (wrong side of 70years, me!). I only wanted a Yamaha because I need maximum reliablilty. The TDM is much missed but I grown to love my MT and it suits me very well. Clearly, the MT-09 is related to the '03' but it has the much-needed extra power over the single which while very torquey lacks BHP. I always thought the fine TDM engine in the '03' would have been fun. MT-09 looks to be a perfect spec. for me (might be too powerful tho?). I also have a Kymco Venox 250 which got me back into biking after a near lifetime away, and is a keeper.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
I currently own a Honda NC700S. I was looking for an easy-to-ride bike because that's my very first motorcycle. I have some regrets now because after a few months riding it, I have the impression that I've already reached its limits. It sorely lacks of raw power. My opinion...
But I have to admit that it's very practical and easy to ride.