What petrol do you use? injector cleaner additives?

Val

Reaction score
Hello all,

What petrol do you use with your MT09?

Usually I do Premium Unleaded (95 RON). I do have noticed that when the bike sits few days in the garage and the tank is say half full when I start the bike and go there are sputters, judders and all kinds of unpleasantries.

Than when I fill the tank full the bike runs very smooth.

Do I need to use Super Unleaded (97/98 RON) or some Premium Fuels – e.g. Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate 99RON ?

Or I may need to buy some injector cleaner?

Ideas?

Reaction score
I've used both normal 95 and super (usually 97) and it does run a little nicer on super.

It's not a case of 'extra BHP' or it being any faster, and it's not to say it runs badly on normal, it just seems to pick up a bit nicer, tick over a bit nicer and generally be a bit smoother on super. I'm sure people will say it's the placebo effect but i know my bike and did experience the difference a few weeks ago; in normal riding/overtaking it felt a bit sluggish, I initially thought it might need a swap to A mode but then remembered running low on fuel and having to put some normal unleaded in a few days before, rode the normal stuff right down and have filled it with only super since and it does feel better with it.

I'm not fastidious with it and if i run low will use normal fuel rather than ride extra miles for super, but given the option, i'm happy spending the extra pence per litre.

the cueball

Reaction score
I use super unleaded in all my cars/bikes.... not so much for any power gains, but more for the additives contained in them.

Shell V power or Tesco momentum are the best IMO...

stevecbr

Reaction score
Ive now done over 25000 miles on my 2013 MT09, I usually use normal unleaded, but occassionally the premium Shell Vmax.
I use the fuelly app to track my mpg, and what I have found is I get worse mpg using the premium fuel.
I still use the more expensive fuel once a tank every month or so, in case there is any truth in its cleaning properties

El Bandito

Reaction score
stevecbr,

What kind of mileage do you get with both types of fuel? I use normal unleaded and over the 2000 miles I’ve done, Fuelly tells me I’ve averaged 49.6mpg.

stevecbr

Reaction score
stevecbr,

What kind of mileage do you get with both types of fuel? I use normal unleaded and over the 2000 miles I’ve done, Fuelly tells me I’ve averaged 49.6mpg.
according to fuelly my average is 48mpg. The best was 60mpg on a slow ride out, the worst is, the worst is 41mpg but that was a track day, every tank of the high octane fuel is 42-45mpg, never any more. I have tracked 194 fill ups, and it clearly shows the more expensive fuel does not give more mpg

Littlebruv

Reaction score
The cheaper fuel as an higher ethanol content which apparently could rot the injectors...

wakers

Reaction score
I have a mate that works in the petroleum industry and he said that shell premium fuel is the best one in the uk because of the additives they add, and supermarket fuel is the worst (as in no additives) and I'm sure he said you should get better MPG from the premium fuel but only marginally, and the higher tuned your vehicle the more performance benefit you'll see with higher octane fuel.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I run regular in my mt-09 and premium in my subaru forester because of the 11,1:1 compression ratio.
I agree that mt's engine runs sweater in premium but the avg mpg is about the same or worst sometimes (when you don't use the bike for some days the high-octane fuel seems like evaporating...
The 2.0 liter N/A engine of the 2007 forester runs smoother, quicker and with less effort on gas pedal when use premium.