Which rack/top box?

ljkenny

Reaction score
Need to get one to put bike chain (and g/f's make-up) in etc.

What did you guys end up going for?

Are there lots of MT-09 compatible racks available, or does one particular one come out on top?

boro

Reaction score
Need to get one to put bike chain (and g/f's make-up) in etc.

What did you guys end up going for?

Are there lots of MT-09 compatible racks available, or does one particular one come out on top?
I found the OEM Yam one to fit really well, plus it has grab handles built in the underside for the pillion (main reason for getting it).

IMG_20140307_165900470_HDR.jpg

Not tried a top box I use a Kriega US20 on the racks and works a treat

ljkenny

Reaction score
The OEM one looks pretty neat.

I like the idea of a top box for 2 reasons;

Firstly, many of them have a backrest for pillion (the main reason I chopped in my R6 for this is to take the long haired General out).
Secondly, I like the thought of locking the helmet(s) away and not have to carry them about on day trips and the like.

KJCOX

Reaction score
I also installed the OEM rack and bought the 39L Yammie Topbox. The rack fits well, was easy to install and eliminates the need for a tail tidy. My wife likes having the topbox behind when pillioning and was desperate for the grab rails which was one of the motivating factors in getting the Yamaha one.

ljkenny

Reaction score
I went with the OEM rear carrier and OEM 50l top box in the end.

How difficult is it to find out where to make the holes for 4 bolts? I'm assuming this is something you can do yourself pretty trivially?

trevorleigh

Reaction score
It is simple to find where to drill the holes as the plastic panel are marked for them, you do need a pretty big drill though, 25 or 27mm I think, something like that.

KJCOX

Reaction score
Yes, the hole should be 27mm which is an odd size. No-one makes a holesaw that size. I drilled it out to 25mm using one of those conical step drills and filed out the rest until it fitted nicely. As Trevor said, the holes are marked with a cross where you need to drill.

boro

Reaction score
The holes they are marked on the inside of the cowls. I also used a 25mm hole bore and a half moon file to get the right size.