Carbon Fibre - Extended Front Mudguard and Extended Rear Hugger

RipGroove

Reaction score

Bel

Reaction score
Sorry for being away for so long, been a bit busy with some other projects and changing things around a little.

I'm about to ship some parts to get moulded. The chain guard, sprocket cover, front tank cover will be going but I don't think I'll do the OEM seat cowl even though I have one ready to go. I think it's needs to be increased in size while keeping to the lines of the OEM piece. I just don't have a MT-09 owner near me to do this (if you in near Edinburgh and willing to help out with new MT-09 parts projects then please drop me a line). I hope to get my 1st MT-09 carbon parts in 2-3 week's time. It's the ones you can already get from a few places, they all get it from the same factories as it's catalogue pieces. They are the fender, hugger, lower seat panels, rear seat panels, sprocket crash protection, tank infills and air intake covers. The ones I'm sending away will be only made for me and not be available for other carbon suppliers, mould costs hurt but you get a better range of parts in the long run while restricting access to the moulds. If you want I can post some photos when it arrives.

But all that is beside the point. I want to know from the community if it's worth extending the fender to the length of the attached fenda extenda and then making it as one piece. Like the photo below we did of the Street Triple a few years ago. And then in the same breath the same goes for the hugger extended to the length of the pyramid extension. I know you guys think the hugger needs to be bigger so this is also something to think about or even bigger while keeping to the lines of the OEM piece.

Here's some photos to show what I mean. I'll do it if you guys think it's something you would like. It's a lengthy process (excuse the pun). The Street Triple front fender took a year to complete from prototype to production but things are a little bit faster now. It all comes down to how much money you can throw at the project.

It's always easier if you have a bike to work with when you do prototypes. I bought the 2013 Street Triple swingarm to do the extended hugger project. I own the older Street Triple so doing the projects for that was easier. For the Street we did a extended hugger, extended fender, extended chainguard, undertray/tail light surround/tail tidy, engine protection kit, frame covers, swingarm covers, etc.

I'm busy completing the current Street Triple 2013- extended hugger. I hope to have my prototype to test fit this week. It's been 6 months and a lot of money but I'm now happy with the outcome.
The OEM one is of course the smaller carbon one and the white one is the extended prototype which has now been moulded and just needs to be test fitted.

The extended fender, this was done in 2010-2011
Left is the OEM plus the extended fender added and smoothed back to make one beautiful piece and you can't see where it has been extended.

Anyway, please post some feedback. I am interested in doing more MT-09 projects now that the other projects are coming to completion.

PS: I'm not here to cause any problems if you guys have current vendors on here. Admins/Mods if you don't want me posting anything carbon related then please just let me know. I read a posts on here and FZ09.org to keep up to date on the bike but don't tend to post.

Bel

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted up those photos. I tried to manufacture it in the UK but have to give up on that after the factory messed me around.

I am busy looking into your extended hugger and fender and I have some ideas I will start on soon. I have a fender and hugger sitting here and ready to work on as soon as I have finished my engine protection kits in the next few weeks. I'll update you once I have more info. It's a slow process these projects.

Here's how the above part came out. Give me feedback.

And also doing a fibreglass version, this one is unpainted as I'm test fitting the part this week.

lee1980

Reaction score
Looks good what sort of prices are you thinking for each one?
Do you need the stock part to make or do you mean you used it to mould over the new?

EDIT, I see now what you mean, saw the stock sized carbon on your site, the above is an extended version which I sooooo need lol. Deff be interested in one.

Last edited:

Bel

Reaction score
I'm not sure. That'll be worked out at the time the moulds are made.

I'll be modding the OEM parts to suit and then that will be moulded for production.

Last edited:

Bel

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the compliment. I have the fender and hugger for MT09 here. I just have to start on the extention when I have finished my current projects.

lee1980

Reaction score
Thanks I understand, The new extended hugger is to be complete one piece part to replace the stock part? if it looks like last 4 pics above will be great!

Bel

Reaction score
Yes. It should end up being the size of the OEM at the base plus a extended bit added. I'm still deciding about the sides. Only issue I have is I need someone local who can help when it comes to testing the piece on the bike to make sure all dimensions are right and is not touching anywhere. It must looks seamless though or lines flow correctly.

I have PMed a local forum member so fingers crossed he might be willing to help out.

Last edited:

lee1980

Reaction score
I see, yea sounds great be good if it can be as big as possible to cover tyre with out looking to silly I guess, as the stock piece is just far to small overall to do much at all and a bigger one would not of detracted from the looks really. Or maybe even one for the winter rider that covers and is big, plus a smaller one for those fair weather riders lol.

Shame I am just a bit to far away lol

Bel

Reaction score
Yeah but if all else fails and you're willing I can post it for you to test fit it. Only issue I have is the last time my prototype was shipped the courier played football with my box and it ended being cracked down the one side.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Please be patient though these projects take a bit of time if your a small company. It should be worth it in the end though. , I hope lol.

lee1980

Reaction score
I sure would, willing to test fit etc if need be. Yeah thats worry with things like this being delivered.

I will hold off getting anything now until winter starts later in year hopefully have something to buy by then.

Bel

Reaction score
I'll do my best but these things can takes months to get right. Luckily I have a factory that I can trust. That was why I have lost a year with these parts. I had a UK I was using for parts but after the last delay I gave up on them and now using a foreign factory that make my Triumph parts.

I'll take you up on that if I can get help locally.

boro

Reaction score
As no-one yet seems to be making a decent extended front mudguard or rear hugger I wondered how difficult it would be to have one manufactured in carbon fibre.
Rather than doing "real work" i've been having a bit of a google-fest this morning and there do seem to be a number of local companies who are prepared to do small runs of stuff like this.
But.... It seems there is a substantial initial CAD design and mould cost of around £750 for each item (yikes!) which is a bit of a show stopper for a one off.
So I wondered how many of you would also be interested in a carbon fibre extended front mudguard and hugger?
If enough people are interested i'll pursue this further. It's just an idea at the moment so obviously I don't have any costs, etc but just wondered how popular such items would be?
same as everyone,,,cost...

Bel

Reaction score
Sorry fungly is the word I would use
Did they get the length right is the more important bit at the moment?

What is main issue with the OEM higger?
Is it dirty shock, wet legs, spray, etc?

What is the biggest gripe for you?

boro

Reaction score
Did they get the length right is the more important bit at the moment?

What is main issue with the OEM higger?
Is it dirty shock, wet legs, spray, etc?

What is the biggest gripe for you?

I think the OEM looks good but could be inch or two longer, I don't mind getting the underside of the bike covered in muck, but having it spray up my back is a PITA.
The kick at the end of the R&G just looks wrong, and the whole thing has a look of bulk about it, too much function over form for me.
If I was into that I'd have a Honda VFR and be done with it.

Bel

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be starting on this shortly. I've decided to either put the engine protection kit for the 2013- Street Triple on hold or ship the engine casings to the factory for them to do the work.

This frees me up to get onto the MT09 extention project. I also have a bunch of new parts coming soon which need to test fit.

I'll get started soon and keep you updated with photos and progress as it gets done.

Bel

Reaction score
Well Lee, I'm desperate to try and find some MT-09 owner local to me that's willing to help. I tried to contact the forum members close to me but haven't heard anything back from them. If it fails I'll be in touch, are you alright with spannering?

New MT-09/FZ-09 sprocket cover metal mould is ready for it's 1st test. Hopefully 1st pull will arrive shortly for a test.

If you have a MT-09 and in the area north England/Scotland and willing to help with test fitting please get in touch.

If you would like to keep a eye on what I'm up to then come Like the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber

flipper

Reaction score
I'd be happy to try the extended hugger too, but not interested in the sprocket cover I'm afraid.