Experiences and thoughts on crash protection?

RMWL

Reaction score
Not having my MT-09 just yet but making sure I get sorted with some of the 'essentials' beforehand, I've been scouring the forums for threads on crash protection (bungs/sliders etc). Hasn't been any recent ones but guess you guys have been living with one or other of the products for a while now. As I've previously dropped at least two bikes at 0mph with no-one else to blame but myself, you may understand why I consider them one of my 'essentials' :eek:

Ignoring forks/swingarms etc for now, I think I'm right in saying that you really need a minimum of two each side to fully protect the main part of the bike (engine/frame/tank) - lower ones (like the Yamaha OEM) for the engine and higher ones (like the SW Motech / Evotech ones) to protect the frame and tank, these preferably using the two mounting points?

That being the case it looks like its a choice between the 'door handle' shaped ones (Yamaha, SW Motech) and 'bung' shaped ones (Evotech, R&G) ?

Any experiences out there good or bad? Any get in the way of legs / boots ?

Thanks

RipGroove

Reaction score
I don't tend to bother, myself - probably will drop the bike tomorrow now, but the Yamaha ones seem to pretty poor, not really offering a great deal of protection. If I were to buy anything it would be something like this:

Yamaha MT-09 / Tracer 2013-2015 Engine Crash Protector Set Sliders Black | eBay

I think RipGroove found some crash bungs at a very good price on ebay.
I did, I bought these. The reason I went for them was because they are made from a decent material and the bolts are designed to bend and not snap. I'm a CNC machinist myself and originally was going to make my own set of bungs but the more I looked at it the more I realised that if I made a set they'd end up almost identical to these ones below, so for the price I just bought them instead.

eBay link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262474620486

Quality and fitment are spot on, I've not had the pleasure of crashing with them so can't comment on performance.

Another big plus point though, if you crash with these fitted they'll replace them for free!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 

bobh

Reaction score
Like you I've always considered that crash bungs are one of the first mods to make to a bike, to protect it from those silly low-speed drops.

For previous bikes I've used R&G, but because it seems that you need two each side on the MT-09, it works out quite expensive. So I went for a set from crashbobbinprotectors on ebay, at £50.

They seem OK, the only comment is that where the R&Gs have an aluminium sleeve inside the plastic bobbin, these don't. So the plastic does creep a bit and needs re-torquing occasionally. Whether they will eventually settle down I don't know, but for now I'm happy to get out the torque wrench occasionally and check them out.

RMWL

Reaction score
More 'research' done....

certainly doesn't seem much on the market to protect the lower part of the engine, i.e. the bit the Yamaha OEM ones cover. Apart from the 'jellymould' cover type from R&G, GB Racing etc. which I'm not particularly keen on Can't understand why seemingly all the others use the higher mounting points but don't make any for the lower ones :confused:

You'd think someone would come up with a cheaper or better alternative to the Yamaha ones, which although don't appear to withstand the weight of a Porsche on top of the bike have saved damage on other occasions (two other threads I can't find right now!).

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
SW MOTECH do some pretty decent ones. They span the frame from top to bottom so won't bend the twin spar frame...!
(Thanks to a Porsche driver I got to test them)..!

RipGroove

Reaction score
So, to protect the frame and forks etc, these (or similar) are required: YAMAHA MT-09 / TRACER CRASH MUSHROOMS PROTECTORS SLIDERS FULL SET OF 10 S10i | eBay

...and to protect the engine, these (or similar) are required: http://www.gbracing.eu/MT-09,-FZ-09,-Tracer-%2526-Scrambler--Engine-Cover-Set-2014>.1650.html

Is that right?
That's pretty much the way I see it. On this bike no amount of frame protectors will protect the engine cases themselves so IMO engine covers are required also.

Sent from my iPhone 

Sven

Reaction score
I don't think crash bars even look good on the tracer! I had crash bars on my last 2 v-stroms & looked at the Givi ones when i got the tracer. But just didn't think they suited the bike, so went for a set of bungs instead. Just personal choice really. But they are handy for mounting spots on - although i've seen so many mounted so that if the bike is dropped, they are the first thing that gets smashed!!

flydnb

Reaction score
I use no crash protection because that's what insurance is for and to be honest if you do even a low speed drop you can write it off very easy so id rather get the money minus my 50 quid excess than spend £100's on putting sliders and bars all over the bike .

RipGroove

Reaction score
I use no crash protection because that's what insurance is for and to be honest if you do even a low speed drop you can write it off very easy so id rather get the money minus my 50 quid excess than spend £100's on putting sliders and bars all over the bike .
Only problem with that is the fact that generally insurance companies won't give you enough money to actually go out and buy another bike like for like. It sucks but that's generally how it seems to be.

Sent from my iPhone 

RMWL

Reaction score
It is all personal choice of course but I think most people... well, me at least.... are thinking more of protection from the stupid drops e.g. maneuvering the bike at very low speed.

I see your point but what if the low speed drop doesn't write it off? You're left with a battered bike that (although no guarantees I'll admit) may have been saved to a large extent by a replaceable crash bung or two.

RipGroove

Reaction score
It is all personal choice of course but I think most people... well, me at least.... are thinking more of protection from the stupid drops e.g. maneuvering the bike at very low speed.

I see your point but what if the low speed drop doesn't write it off? You're left with a battered bike that (although no guarantees I'll admit) may have been saved to a large extent by a replaceable crash bung or two.
Before I fitted bungs I very almost dropped mine in my garage, luckily I caught it and slowed it's decent right down to a stop, and even luckier my garage is carpeted so there was not a single mark on the bike after I led it down. Now at that point it had no bungs and if I'd either not caught it in time or not had the strength to slow it right down and my garage had been concrete then I'd have probably had a fucked frame and fuel tank.

My bungs give me peace of mind for if I or anyone else drops or knocks my bike off its stand. If God forbid I do fall off on the road any protection they offer is a bonus. I can see them helping in small slow low side situation and in the event of any crash bigger than that then a scratched frame and tank would be the least of my worries anyway so if they fail at higher speeds it's not the end of the world as it won't really matter anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 

RMWL

Reaction score
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Been there and done almost exactly that (and more than once :eek:) - definitely bungs for me.