Experiences and thoughts on crash protection?

flydnb

Reaction score
It is all personal choice of course but I think most people... well, me at least.... are thinking more of protection from the stupid drops e.g. maneuvering the bike at very low speed.

I see your point but what if the low speed drop doesn't write it off? You're left with a battered bike that (although no guarantees I'll admit) may have been saved to a large extent by a replaceable crash bung or two.
If I just drop it on a slow speed and it doesn't look like a write off then I will get back on and fall off again till it does .

flydnb

Reaction score
In my experience falling off on a public road will almost nearly always write a bike off and with or without protection you will get damage, if your excess is over 500 quid then it might be worth some sliders and bobbins but there is an argument that these can sometimes increase the damage because they can catch and bend or filp the bike , that's why now I just get good insurance and a very low excess full comp protected no claims etc etc .

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score

boro

Reaction score
Had the pleasure of low speed drop on roght hand side...Had the R&G Areas fitted and did a good job for the frame but bar end and levers still scuffed. Also the end of the Akro Carbon cone scratched and small hole.
R&G stood up great in fact the biggest giveaway was the cracked R&G badge that was crazed.
So levers replaced with some Ebay specials as Mad Hornet don't do spares or singles, for bar end went OEM.
As luck would have it when I took it into the shop they fitted the bar end and they guy had a spare R&G badge that he stuck on for me, great..
End can I bought a clearcoat two part kit and layered it up to fill in the dent myself.
Looks okay if anything it is now too buffed so will have to think about 2000 grit or something to de-buff it.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Be interested to see those installed, no pics of them actually on an mt09 that I could find anywhere ??
These GSG Mototechnik engine sliders arrived today. They look very capable and substantial. You can see where they'll go by the below Google image:

GSG-Sliders-Yamaha-MT09-StreetLine-a.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

RMWL

Reaction score
These GSG Mototechnik engine sliders arrived today. They look very capable and substantial. You can see where they'll go by the below Google image:
Thanks for the pic, look good - I'd say they're similar in concept & design to the SW-Motech ones I now have but the slider is a bit longer on them. If I'd seen these first, I'd have gone for them too.

Why is it only Yamaha who do the lower ones is this sort of 'bridge' design ? I know they're relatively expensive and not considered vfm but I'd have thought someone else would have based a design on them by now...?

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
...Why is it only Yamaha who do the lower ones is this sort of 'bridge' design ? I know they're relatively expensive and not considered vfm but I'd have thought someone else would have based a design on them by now...?
Tell me about it. It's nuts. Besides these for clutch and other side: Yamaha MT-09 2013- Engine Crash Protector Sliders Black , Yamaha's offering at circa £165 (cheapest I've found) are the only options.

chump

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic, look good - I'd say they're similar in concept & design to the SW-Motech ones I now have but the slider is a bit longer on them. If I'd seen these first, I'd have gone for them too.

Why is it only Yamaha who do the lower ones is this sort of 'bridge' design ? I know they're relatively expensive and not considered vfm but I'd have thought someone else would have based a design on them by now...?
because they don't work very well on their own?

RMWL

Reaction score
because they don't work very well on their own?
Possibly, but then the same could be said for any of the crash bungs.

And it wouldn't normally stop a manufacturer from churning out something that may be more style than substance, so still surprised to not see someone copy the Yamaha design.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Truth be known, I don't really want to bother about sliders, bungs etc. I've only bought the GSG sliders for a few days on track next month, and am toying with the idea of the M&P engine sliders, but really can't be arsed in reality. No one plans to bin their bikes, but it's the thought of 'what if' that's keeping me on this protection route.