Hello new MT09 owner from an MT07

MTom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just jumping over after owning my MT07 ABS in deep armor for 11 months. At 6'2" and 100kg i made that thing look like a 125 not being very wide. Went into my dealer with a friend who wanted a sub 3k bike and i ended up buying the MT09 and my mate didnt buy anything ;)

Went in thursday got chatting, test ride friday and picked it up saturday. Managed to squeeze around 300 miles in since yesterday! I must say those 300 miles are so much better than any of the 4k miles i put on the MT07.

A mode for the win! still keeping revs a bit down though. Went for a non ABS version in deep armor (again) with the free akrapovic exhaust deal thats currently on.

Cheers

Tom

boro

Reaction score
Welcome, it would be good to hear your views of the 07 to the 09, as a lot of reviews say the 07 is a better package but for me the torque of the 09 just makes me grin and actually enjoy every ride like I was a kid again.

lee1980

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just jumping over after owning my MT07 ABS in deep armor for 11 months. At 6'2" and 100kg i made that thing look like a 125 not being very wide. Went into my dealer with a friend who wanted a sub 3k bike and i ended up buying the MT09 and my mate didnt buy anything ;)

Went in thursday got chatting, test ride friday and picked it up saturday. Managed to squeeze around 300 miles in since yesterday! I must say those 300 miles are so much better than any of the 4k miles i put on the MT07.

A mode for the win! still keeping revs a bit down though. Went for a non ABS version in deep armor (again) with the free akrapovic exhaust deal thats currently on.

Cheers

Tom
Welcome they are small the 07's even me at 5'9 feels very slim and small!

Is this a Yamaha promotion on exhaust or just your dealer?

lee1980

Reaction score
Yea just saw it on Yamaha site, I got arrow system with mine but that was just dealer doing that, so I'm happy, I like both luckily, be gutting if not long bought one and not got it as its not cheap, need full system really.

MTom

Reaction score
Welcome, it would be good to hear your views of the 07 to the 09, as a lot of reviews say the 07 is a better package but for me the torque of the 09 just makes me grin and actually enjoy every ride like I was a kid again.
Cheers all :eek:

To be honest apart from the size i quite liked the MT07 as its great for getting about town. I would say its like a go-kart as you just point and go. It wasnt until i rode the MT09 i realised there is a hell of a lot more than just having a commuting machine with a potential to get the front end up a bit.

Definately a new riders bike so im not going to knock it and was sad to see it go. Im still breaking mine in but im only getting 100 miles to a tank hehe

Fortunately my Rizoma screen has brackets for the 07 & 09 so i salvaged that in before swapping it. Just going to sort a tail tidy and maybe a comfort seat as i broke my nutts on a 170+ mile trip yesterday.

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
Welcome mate I believe Deep Armor is not
only the best colour but the fastest too how
luck is that

Deadhead

Reaction score
I've just had a part exchange price for my MT-07 against the MT-09 and to be honest it was bloody insulting so am wonder what you was offered if you don't mind me asking.

MTom

Reaction score
I've just had a part exchange price for my MT-07 against the MT-09 and to be honest it was bloody insulting so am wonder what you was offered if you don't mind me asking.
I owed 4.3k on finance and they did a p/x price of 4k so i paid £500 altogether to cover the negative equity and a small deposit back in. To be fair considering i was going to buy an Akrapovic for the MT07 it was a no brainer paying 7k for the MT09 with a free Akra.

So 500 and 30 extra month on the payments altogether to move over.

Deadhead

Reaction score
I owed 4.3k on finance and they did a p/x price of 4k so i paid £500 altogether to cover the negative equity and a small deposit back in. To be fair considering i was going to buy an Akrapovic for the MT07 it was a no brainer paying 7k for the MT09 with a free Akra.

So 500 and 30 extra month on the payments altogether to move over.
I've just been offered less than that for a 6month old bike with 3k on the clock.

Update:
Seems the dealer didn't make it clear that he quoted the ABS version of the mt09 so that means i have been offered £4200 in PX for a bike that's 6 months old with nearly 3500 miles on the clock. There is no finance on the mt07, so he would give me £1000 back , leaving £3200 as a deposit @ £55pcm on PCP or I could upgrade the suspension to Ohlins for an additional £600 which I could either increase the deposit to leave the monthly payments at £55 or leave it and up the payment to £74. input please....

Last edited:

Andyc1511

Reaction score
Yea just saw it on Yamaha site, I got arrow system with mine but that was just dealer doing that, so I'm happy, I like both luckily, be gutting if not long bought one and not got it as its not cheap, need full system really.
I'll take a look at the Arrow system as the Akro's well expensive. Almost makes me wish I'd hung on a bit longer but I guess non-one can predict what offers are coming up. And needed to chop in my Aprilia Mille before its MOT and service!

lee1980

Reaction score
Yea I think it's about 580 on eBay for arrow from Italian suppliers, dealer said it was 750 like, but expect they bought a job lot to.
If I was going akra think I'd carbon but not sure it's road legal.
I think there is options to butcher stock systems and have a slip on to if you want cheaper.

I love how the full systems looks full bigger bore and no big box behind engine!

MTom

Reaction score
I've just been offered less than that for a 6month old bike with 3k on the clock.

Update:
Seems the dealer didn't make it clear that he quoted the ABS version of the mt09 so that means i have been offered £4200 in PX for a bike that's 6 months old with nearly 3500 miles on the clock. There is no finance on the mt07, so he would give me £1000 back , leaving £3200 as a deposit @ £55pcm on PCP or I could upgrade the suspension to Ohlins for an additional £600 which I could either increase the deposit to leave the monthly payments at £55 or leave it and up the payment to £74. input please....

well thats sounds a lot better. I would ride around a bit before deciding on whether you want the suspension changed (although i know a lot of people do). I take it you get the akra exhaust in that deal too?

Deadhead

Reaction score
well thats sounds a lot better. I would ride around a bit before deciding on whether you want the suspension changed (although i know a lot of people do). I take it you get the akra exhaust in that deal too?
Looking on ebay that price does seem very fair with the mileage mine has.

It does come with the full Akrapovic system in the price.

Suspension wise this is where I'm not sure. See, the one it tried last week had Ohlins fitted, and it was excellent. I have no idea how the stock suspension rides. Looking at the build quality of the stock rear shock alone it looks pretty crappy. I'm going to pop back over in a couple of days and they are either going to swap the stock shock back in the demo MT-09 or I can take a Tracer out that has the same suspension.

He'll need to sweeten the deal a bit more If he wants me to bite..Levers, rad guard, tail tidy etc.

They are going to completely treat with bike with ACF50 before delivery because the MT-07 of mine is rotting away and he know I've not been impressed. They have already changed the entire lock system because of corrosion. I'm assuming because the MT-09 has been on the market a bit longer most issues has been resolved.

loneranger

Reaction score
MT07 sold Hello 09

Getting my Deep Armour 09 in two weeks. It came with a free Akra full system with Cat. Good value. I test rode it today and is way better than a 07. Suspension far superior. I had my 07 for a year and love sit but felt time for some more power. Cant wait.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Looking on ebay that price does seem very fair with the mileage mine has.

It does come with the full Akrapovic system in the price.

Suspension wise this is where I'm not sure. See, the one it tried last week had Ohlins fitted, and it was excellent. I have no idea how the stock suspension rides. Looking at the build quality of the stock rear shock alone it looks pretty crappy. I'm going to pop back over in a couple of days and they are either going to swap the stock shock back in the demo MT-09 or I can take a Tracer out that has the same suspension.

He'll need to sweeten the deal a bit more If he wants me to bite..Levers, rad guard, tail tidy etc.

They are going to completely treat with bike with ACF50 before delivery because the MT-07 of mine is rotting away and he know I've not been impressed. They have already changed the entire lock system because of corrosion. I'm assuming because the MT-09 has been on the market a bit longer most issues has been resolved.
The tracer suspension is nothing like the mt09 so don't compare it otherwise you will be disappointed.
I'd say ohlins all the way.