sounds rough in neatral

paulrab

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how rough the MT sounds when ticking over in neutral (clutch disengaged) Dealer assures me its normal and most bikes are the same.Cant say iv'e ever noticed it on any of my previous bikes!

paulrab

Reaction score
If you pull the clutch in does the "bag of spanners" noise go??

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Yes it does. I even checked the Yamaha spec to see if it was a dry clutch!

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Mines the same, but at least I can select 1st gear unlike the last two Sprint ST triples I had. They were real bag of spanners sounding gearboxes so I'll forgive Yamaha on this occasion.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

misscrabstick

Reaction score
yes, mine too, and my Thunderace does it and my zx6R and my Pan Euro too and I think even the old cx 500 a bit, its loads of cogs and shafts wizzing round.

paulrab

Reaction score
Ok, cheers guys, it's put my mind at rest. Guess i must have been lucky with my previous bikes. Then again this is my first new bike, maybe the noise reduces with age/wear?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Although I can't speak for the MT09 as its injected and I have no clue if you can, I always found having nicely and carefully balanced carbs makes all the difference to a bike running in Neutral, the rougher it runs the more bits and bobs rattle about.

flydnb

Reaction score
my last wr 250r sounded very clanky, my mates 55k zx9r still sounds silky smooth .

Birdy

Reaction score
The band i used to play with had a shite drummer, sounded like he been pushed down a flight of stairs with his kit . My bike sounds similar. So did my guitar playing.

Spot

Reaction score
The band i used to play with had a shite drummer, sounded like he been pushed down a flight of stairs with his kit . My bike sounds similar. So did my guitar playing.
Funny you should say that, I think my bike sounds like a band too.... Even before I saw this post I thought my bike sounded like the bass intro to the Skids "Into the Valley".
Check out the first 4 seconds, that's the rhythm of my engine! :)

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
im a drummer, used to be a professional but got into music prod and now I just drum on my electronic kit.