Breaking in period.

anthony1979

Reaction score
I have been reading so much contradictory stuff about the breaking in period on a new motorcycle engine recently.
I heard that Yamaha say to keep it under 5600rpm and to not keep it at a steady rate for long periods of time for the first 1000km,
I was just wondering on the opinions of all you MT09 owners out there, did all of you follow the Yamaha break in method? Or did you do something different? Personally I think it will be very difficult to keep under 5600rpm !

Last edited:

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I have been reading so much contradictory stuff about the breaking in period on a new motorcycle engine recently.
I heard that Yamaha say to keep it under 5600rpm and to not keep it at a steady rate for long periods of time for the first 1000km,
I was just wondering on the opinions of all you MT09 owners out there, did all of you follow the Yamaha break in method? Or did you do something different? Personally I think it will be very difficult to keep under 5600rpm !
I have avoided the steady rates for long periods of time, other than that i've been riding it normally (without red lining it) with the odd foray up the rpm's. I certainly haven't kept it below 5600rpm!

Stripy

Reaction score
I've tried to keep mine under 6k rpm's, i do commute on motorway (6 miles each way), but still taken it easy.
Yes, i have been on +8k rpm as well.
Personally, i wouldn't race the pants off until first service.
Too many times i've seen people thinking a quick blast to set all things inside, then we can go riding the track..... and then it bursts after a few laps.
I know it is exciting with new toy, but it's only 600 miles.... so come on - just get out and do the milage on the twisties and a bit of commute, then it's over fast.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Just ran mine normally. Obviously let it warm up, but didnt keep an eye on the revs, most of my running in was on 2 sunny days on coastal roads, Occasionally the revs would creep above 8000rpm, but I didnt labour the engine, didnt keep it at a steady rev limit, and also didnt thrash it. Running fine.
My dealer who sold it to me runs a race team, and uses an R6. He doesnt run them in, just uses them straight on the track. He says he has never had a problem with them, and they never burn any oil. He recommended I just use my normally, and avoid labouring the engine at low revs

Gazrx12

Reaction score
Right then I'm going to stick my experience on running in both 4 stroke road bikes and 2 stroke road bikes and about 12 RD430 Drag bike engines in.

First Heat cycle the engine two or three times, this involves stat the bike up get warm EG: some heat at the back of the intakes so you can touch it

Next if Yamaha say 1000miles do that but DO NOT strain the engine EG: not 6th at 30mph You must make sure that you do all gears at the rev's recommended "Ok don't first and second so much but think about running in the gear box as well as the cylinders

With a new Engine your running in the clutch, cylinders, piston & rings, all the oil ways, gear box, cooling system as well as the bearings.

There are some people that will say thrash the motor from day one YEA RIGHT!! FECK that for a road bike just NO!! race motor may be but I have never done that and the motor stayed to gather.

if you go on line there is lots of stuff on the best way to run a motor in but how much did Yamaha invest in the MT 09?

Right School over make up you own mind up!

Stripy

Reaction score
Do you mean for how long time the running in period lasts?

According to the manual, it is 600 miles below 5600rpm, then oil change - or after 6 weeks.
Then ride up to 8000rpm until you have done 1000 miles. after that, you're done with the running in period.

See you next time at 6k miles :)

anthony1979

Reaction score
Luckily, Living in Korea I have a load of twisty mountain roads right on my doorstep to play on. Perfect for breaking in then..Just got to try not to give it too much of the right wrist on the straight sections !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stripy

Reaction score
As I remember it, going at 6000rpm will take you up to just below 90mph, so there should be plenty of room to get some speed on - that's why I do nth think the running in period is hard :)

Fish1216

Reaction score
Ive found it hard to run in personally, as the last engines I broke in was my 1216 road/drag bike and that just had heat cycles and dyno runs before It went to the track to be abused in every gear with nitrous. On the mt i did 400 miles before my first service (6 weeks) kept it in b mode and short shifted when I gave it some stick, kept it at around 6k most of the time but not continuously, I did let it creap up to 8/9k, a few times but changed up twice quite quick and got them back down to around 5k, I also didnt open it up untill it had done 2-3 heat cycles where the fan came on in town and parked up to let it cool down back to a reasonable tempature, since the first service I vary my riding, short blasts using the whole rev range to free it up a bit and let the engine breaking bring me back down before pottering along in 5th, had a hooligan moment for the first time earlier, rode a mates bandit 6/750 round the block then jumped on the MT and rode it the same way in std and A mode, couldnt keep the front wheel down in the first 3 gears and touched the limiter in 2nd as the front wheel was just coming down, so gave it lots of abuse and then parked it up before I lost my license and let the bike cool down but didnt let it get to hot, the next 500 miles I will be mainly commuting so its going through varied range of riding. I must admit since the first service it does not run as hot and the revs are building up a lot easier, you can physically feel the engine loosening up, I thing I have avoided is letting the engine labour, always kept it happy in its sweet spot.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you mean for how long time the running in period lasts?

According to the manual, it is 600 miles below 5600rpm, then oil change - or after 6 weeks.
Then ride up to 8000rpm until you have done 1000 miles. after that, you're done with the running in period.

See you next time at 6k miles :)
My manual says 5600rpm till 600 miles or 6 weeks, then 6800rpm till 1000 miles then ride as normal....strange lol