Crash protection

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys. i have yet to get my mt09 its due to arrive in may but i want to make sure i have the essential kit organised. ans crash protection is high on the list. so in your own opinion whats the best thing out there i quite like the look of yamahas own as it can also be added to my finance which isnt going to hurt my wallet
cheers in advance

Hi Chris. Firstly congrats on buying a quality bike.

In my opinion (and this really IS my own opinion so don't take this as the be all and end all)! I wud go for something that spans across to the front and mid engine mounts as I'm led to believe that if u only have bungs in one of the mounts u run the risk of bending the frame in the event of a spill.

If u look at the way the frame is designed, the front mount especially is shaped like a rib that comes down from the top of the frame and doesn't connect to anything and that's the part that will bend. I bought these sliders

3apasu8e.jpg

as I believe they offer very good stability on impact. They retail for £117.49 but if u want them I can get u a set for £100 + p&p.

I coupled those sliders with the Yamaha engine case sliders as they offer really good protection as well.

I think crash protection is always a personal preference thing so go with wot U feel is the best for u and the bike.

I hope this helps a little.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

My experiance with crash protection is, they only work with very slow crashes or just dropping it while standing still.
If you, say crash with 50 km, no crash protecting will safe you frame, engine or tank. They will get damaged.
The crash protection will bent or brake off.

That's why I went for the cheaper options, they will protect the bike when I drop it standing still or at very low speed.
With higher speeds, my only concern is my own protection.
The insurance will cover the rest.

This is just my 2 cents.

IMAG0373.jpg
IMAG0374.jpg

Last edited:
My experiance with crash protection is, they only work with very slow crashes or just dropping it while standing still.
If you, say crash with 50 km, no crash protecting will safe you frame, engine or tank. They will get damaged.
The crash protection will bent or brake off.

That's why I went for the cheaper options, they will protect the bike when I drop it standing still or at very low speed.
With higher speeds, my only concern is my own protection.
The insurance will cover the rest.

I agree with above, however I would add fork and swingarm protection, as they are both easy to damage in slow speed spills. There are lots of manufacturers making them, but myself and others have used skateboard wheels/stoppers and made our own. This way tou can get whatever size,shape or colour that you prefer
MT09 crash bungs  & radiator.jpgMT09 crash bungs (1).jpg

Ill always have decent crash protection and anything to do with protecting my bike I wont go cheap given its my main form of transport. Ive heard way too many stories of cheap sliders failing - whether thats just urban myth or not who knows but Im not willing to risk it for a couple hundred dollars.

Insurance can look after the high speed stuff as there will be bigger problems than a few scuffs and bent forks - its the low speed incidents that Ill always kit my bike out for as even the smallest marks will annoy the cr@p out of me.

It really is personal choice - Ive got Oggy's on mine and some Evotech Fork/Swing arm sliders.

Hi Chris. Firstly congrats on buying a quality bike.

In my opinion (and this really IS my own opinion so don't take this as the be all and end all)! I wud go for something that spans across to the front and mid engine mounts as I'm led to believe that if u only have bungs in one of the mounts u run the risk of bending the frame in the event of a spill.

If u look at the way the frame is designed, the front mount especially is shaped like a rib that comes down from the top of the frame and doesn't connect to anything and that's the part that will bend. I bought these sliders

3apasu8e.jpg

as I believe they offer very good stability on impact. They retail for £117.49 but if u want them I can get u a set for £100 + p&p.

I coupled those sliders with the Yamaha engine case sliders as they offer really good protection as well.

I think crash protection is always a personal preference thing so go with wot U feel is the best for u and the bike.

I hope this helps a little.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees
im with TT on the sliders. normally i wouldnt like sliders that cover the side view of the engine but the motech style ones look ok. ones that stick out are great as cruising pegs but in a spill they dont do much.
this one bent right round on a dogs head. saved my foot tho, didnt do a lot for the dog......:rolleyes:
108 (2).jpg

Back