Engine break in?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm sure when I pick mine up the dealer will give me some info but what do you guys think about breaking the engine in? How many miles and what rpm etc?

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Its all covered in the owners manual. I can't remember the rpms etc, but its basically, gentle for the first 500 miles, then avoid prolonged high RPM for the next 500 miles then thrash the nuts off it :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Cool, as long as its in the manual then I'll be fine.

Spot

Reaction score
Yeah it's in the manual. If I remember rightly it's don't exceed 5,600 rpm for the first 600 miles and then don't go above 6,800 for a further 400. Then thrash :)
However, I do it slightly different.....
I once read that the first 50 miles are the most important in an engines life and that just jumping on the motorway at a steady speed to run it in can result in bore glazing and you won't get the best performance.
So for the first 50 miles I ignore the running in rules and give it a bit of thrash and most importantly make sure i'm varying the engine speed and i've done this with every new bike i've ever owned and when they've been dyno'd the dyno guys have always say it's the most powerful stock bike they've ever seen so I believe it's beneficial.
And i've done this with my MT-09 that I picked up on Saturday. Chose an nice route home from the dealers through countryside that gave me the opportunity to go at the pace I wanted.
Of course i'm just some anonymous twat on an an internet forum so do your own research :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Yeah it's in the manual. If I remember rightly it's don't exceed 5,600 rpm for the first 600 miles and then don't go above 6,800 for a further 400. Then thrash :)
I once read that the first 50 miles are the most important in an engines life and that just jumping on the motorway at a steady speed to run it in can result in bore glazing and you won't get the best performance.
So for the first 50 miles I ignore the running in rules and give it a bit of thrash and most importantly make sure i'm varying the engine speed and i've done this with every new bike i've ever owned and when they've been dyno'd the dyno guys have always say it's the most powerful stock bike they've ever seen so I believe it's beneficial.
And i've done this with my MT-09 that I picked up on Saturday. Chose an nice route home from the dealers through countryside that gave me the opportunity to go at the pace I wanted.
Of course i'm just some anonymous twat on an an internet forum so do your own research :)
lol thanks, this kind of is my research :)

Twozup

Reaction score
I read an article about this in one of the bike mags a few yrs ago possibly fastbikes they did it on two similar gixer 750's and as spot said power on bike thrashed from new was up by a fair enough margin as to be deemed not just down to factory tolerances

I guess it's a case if if you wanna keep bike long term do as Yamaha say

If only looking to keep for 2 or 3 years then thrash it and sell it

I just hope I'm not the one who buys it haha!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

crotchrocket

Reaction score
See…….there are advantages of buying a demo bike. Thrashed from day 1 :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well I think i'll do as Yamaha say as I never know how long I'll have it for. Its a pretty fast bike anyway so don't think I need to try to gain a few more bhp just yet.

Spot

Reaction score
I read an article about this in one of the bike mags a few yrs ago possibly fastbikes they did it on two similar gixer 750's and as spot said power on bike thrashed from new was up by a fair enough margin as to be deemed not just down to factory tolerances

I guess it's a case if if you wanna keep bike long term do as Yamaha say

If only looking to keep for 2 or 3 years then thrash it and sell it

I just hope I'm not the one who buys it haha!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
For what it's worth, my plan is to hang onto the bike for a long time.....

MT-Pete

Reaction score
You're absolutely right Spot. The only thing I would add is to make sure it's up to operating temperature first.

j4ybee

Reaction score

Exactly how ive done mine, well still doing it. Currently upto 450 miles. Just ridden it properly without thrashing the nuts off it. :)

FZ Speed Triple

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the manual says to avoid "prolonged operation above 5,600 RPM", there's no way you can own this bike and not "exceed 5,600" in the first 1,000 miles. I think the point is not to have your engine sit at the same RPM for 30 min above 5,600 (and below that prob isn't good either) and not to let it get too hot - that's when your engine gets bad muscle memory ....of course, I'm probably a bigger twat than the last guy so....