MT 09 worht it?

guidow

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I am just about ready to join the darkside. My current motrcycle is a KTM SMT which is absolutely awesome in every way. Due to the kilometers stacking up quite fast I am looking to get a new bike. With 2 main criteria, low maintenance and the fun factor. I road the MT09 and it was awesome just a bit low (I'm a tall guy).

Now I know I am lazy but I would like to post the following questions:

1. Does the bike have easy maintenance?
2. When the suspension is adjusted to sport is it not so wobbly?
3. Does it rip through tires?
4. Are there screens and luggage options for longer touring?
5. The bike is the same price as a Triumph Street Triple here in the Netherlands.. Opt for the triumph..
6. Is it worth to wait for the mythical TDM-09

.. ..

That is it :) Sorry for the question but it is a lot of money for me and I just want some easy straight answers :D

Thank you!

flydnb

Reaction score
welcome mate.
answers .
1. on maintenance its easy yeah because new bikes are covered on warranty so whats there to do apart from chain and cleaning etc.
2.the suspension is the weak spot for sure and is probably best to invest in a better rear shock and new springs for the forks 600 quid should do it.
3. it seems to be a bit heavy on tires especially the dunlops but it has quite a bit of torque so what do we expect, the pr3s and 4s should give good miles.
4.yeah there are screens and luggage available but to be honest if your looking into a lot of touring I would be looking at a different bike but that's me.
5. its a different bike to the street trip, apart from the fact they both have 3 cylinders they are different type of machines.
6.if your thinking of touring then maybe wait for the tdm that is rumoured to be coming along.

guidow

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! If you adjust the suspension to "sport" is it any better? Also is it possible to raise the seat height? I saw on the street rally that the seat is higher. I am 6'2.

Cheers

stevecbr

Reaction score
Dont know what you mean re sport suspension? There is no rebound front or rear, only compression and preload. The suspension is a weak point, I personally dont find it to bad, but really the best way to go is fit a new rear shock (decent, fully adjustable one), and get the forks revalved by a proper suspension company. The seat cannot be raised, maybe you could fit extra padding in

guidow

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got a good deal for a trade in of my KTM SMT for a MT-09 street rally. Going to be fitting R&G engine guards, Puig Sliders (cheap), Skateboard wheels, Hyper pro streetbox suspension, and maybe at one point the akrapovic exhaust but it is way too expensive for now.

I will wrap the engine guards with carbon fiber because I do not like the branding of R&G all over the engine :). You think the wrapping would hold with engine heat?