Newbie arrival!

ashe2cool

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm João, age 31, I'm Portuguese!
I'm maddly in looooove with the MT-09, but i'm a a newbie... Do you guys think this is a good bike for a newbie!?

Best regards to you all

flydnb

Reaction score
hi mate, well to be honest if you just ride in b mode to start you should be fine as its actually very easy to ride, just be careful to and make sure you are in b mode till you get used to the feel of the throttle and handling, if you have ever ridden an off road type of bike that will be a big help as the power curve is similar to a 4 stroke motocross bike .

Snelle Snip

Reaction score
its actually very easy to ride, just be careful to and make sure you are in b mode
Completely agree with that.
Personally I think the MT-07 will be a better choice for a newbie - less power and more important less torque and also just a little bit lighter I believe. Think about those facts.

ashe2cool

Reaction score
Thanks, guys|
But what is your personal experience with the throttle? Is it hard to handle?
And in B mode? Does it decreases the torque or does it still urges to wheelie all the time?
Personaly, I love the look of the MT-09 more than the MT-07! It's even more gorgeous when you are next to it! I've sat on the Deep Armor and immediately my heart was set on that.. but i'm a bit afraid of the throttle...

Thanks a lot guys

Last edited:

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi Ashe,

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully soon welcome on the bike as well! :)

Have you been riding any motorised 2-wheeler before?
What bike did you take your license on?

These questions might help to give a better advise with regards to selection of first-time bike.

Personally I don't have a problem with the throttle. I'm not denying others might have - but I reckon it is to some extend, down to the rider as well - we are afterall different :)

For the MT-09 as a first bike. Yeah, it will be a good one for some, if you know the respect of speed and being sensible - you have the age to be so at least, which is in your favour.
The bike will only lift the front wheel, if you ask it to do so - B-mode will definitely help here - just be aware, that you will need to put into B-mode, every time you start the bike.

After the running in-period, you can choose to ride in a higher gear - specially in heavy traffic through town, it will also keep the economy good, but will give you a better feeling with the bike, and because you're riding in the higher gear, the said "issue" with a sensitive throttle will be nearly nothing to feel.
Within a few months you have learned the bike to know much better, and you can try more.
The price taken into consideration, the weight and its flexibility, I would say it can be a good one for a first time starter.
There can be an issue with insurance for some - I am not familiar with the insurance market in Portugal, but if it was here in Britain, you'd probably pay a Ferrari a month..... ;) But this is greedy Blighty!

Maybe the bike is also available with a restriction kit (25kw) available from your dealer - usually it is very simple to add, and maybe Yamaha even give it for free, as it can be done electronically - check with your dealer. Just make sure it can be removed very easily, with out big costs or swap of bike for your expense.

rob5006

Reaction score
The B mode is excellent for commuting, rain, town, cruising and chilling out-and for a good old blast.
It essentially makes the bike a good 750cc
The standard- an 850cc. (Which is essentially what the bike is, and A mode transforms the bike into a 1000cc.
The standard and A mode are aggressive modes more suited (i find) to an open road where you really want to open it up.
I find for a civilised ride-B mode. For a blast/hooligan ride-use Standard or A mode.
That's just my take on things.
I'm grateful for having the choice of 3 modes. If the bike only came with the B mode i would be happy!
B mode can, at the drop of a hat,and if you want, turn from a civilised commuter, into a screaming banshee!
This bike is just soooo much fun !
There's something for everybody-and looks great. Lot's of heads nodding at you from an adoring biking community...and motorists.

Last edited:

ashe2cool

Reaction score
Hi Ashe,

Have you been riding any motorised 2-wheeler before?
What bike did you take your license on?
Thanks SMB!

I've been riding a 50cc motorcycle since i was 14... Not so much in the last years..
I have the license for motorcycles till 125cc and just starded the damn theorical lessons for bikes over 35kW. Still didn't ask wich bike i'll be riding in the practical lessons.
In my early 20's I rode a lot on a Virago 250cc ( without proper licence..upsss).

Regarding what you said about the respect of speed and being sensible, i can say that my speed urges are not that crazy and i can control myself in that regard.

Thanks again guys! You rock!

flydnb

Reaction score
Thanks SMB!

I've been riding a 50cc motorcycle since i was 14... Not so much in the last years..
I have the license for motorcycles till 125cc and just starded the damn theorical lessons for bikes over 35kW. Still didn't ask wich bike i'll be riding in the practical lessons.
In my early 20's I rode a lot on a Virago 250cc ( without proper licence..upsss).

Regarding what you said about the respect of speed and being sensible, i can say that my speed urges are not that crazy and i can control myself in that regard.

Thanks again guys! You rock!
ok ashe as you have only ridden a 250 before I think it will be a huge difference and I would take one out on a test as chris said, even in b mode you will see a massive difference in power delivery especially as it was a virago 250 which is not even a sporty 250.

ashe2cool

Reaction score
just waiting on the upgrade of my driving licence so i can test drive one! there's a Deep Armor in the nearest yamaha dealer