Quick report from the London Motorcycle Show

Cypher

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was quite eager to go not having been to a bike show yet. Was expecting roomy areas for each company with loads of shops, discounts, models and freebies. What I found was a small-ish area packed full of small shops, some dealers and almost no pretty girls.

There are loads of classic bikes for those who like them (not too fussed personally), loads of choppers and custom bikes plus a few dealers (Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, Kawasaki, Harley, KTM), however, e.g. Suzuki wasn't there which I was a bit surprised about.
Dealerships did not really seem to have any sales but were rather like showrooms. I went to Yamaha to ask if they had any accessories for my MT-09 and they told me to visit their website :D Duh...

Still, with all that, I'm not disappointed per se as I got to sit on a few bikes that I'm interested in (Fireblade, 899) but after being there for less than 2 hours I felt like I had visited all areas and not found anything particularly interesting.
At least now I know that the new Fireblade is comfy and 899 and ZX10 aren't (for me) :)

Here are a few pics for those who are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oc1n5c7efyqcebx/ANoS0UKqAa
I was trying to snap everything I could get to but with the amount of people constantly jumping on and off the bikes it proved to be quite difficult.

I did get a few freebies. Some from wemoto.com and some from Bike Safe. Signed up for a day for free (normally £45) so not all is that bad.

Last edited:

Chris West

Reaction score
Thanks fro the update Cypher.

I was gonna go tomorrow but not sure if I'll bother.

Cypher

Reaction score
If you're coming from Basingstoke (judging by your profile then it's definitely not worth the time and money. I live not too far from Stratford so for me it was a 20 minute ride on the DLR.

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah I was going to go but I went to nec to motorcycle live and after your review I will give it a miss, also cypher what are the toilets like in the excel did the cubicles have holes drilled though from one to the other, just curious.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah I was going to go but I went to nec to motorcycle live and after your review I will give it a miss, also cypher what are the toilets like in the excel did the cubicles have holes drilled though from one to the other, just curious.
Lol oh dear..! I can c a cottaging trip coming on for someone haha

MT-09.... Wheelie wheelie awesome..!

Cypher

Reaction score
what are the toilets like in the excel did the cubicles have holes drilled though from one to the other, just curious.
Lucky enough I wasn't there long enough to need them but the number of people queueing for them was, to say the least, large. Sorry, you'll have to find another toilet expert :D

crotchrocket

Reaction score
It was quite expensive for what was there and very busy when i went on Saturday. had a sit on the street rally and the seat is much, much better than the stock MT-09. It eliminates the slope at the front and feels more 'plush'. The bike isn't out until July though, so the seat won't be available until then either. Wonder how much it would cost? I can't believe how much wider the stance of it looked, with that massive front failing. It actually looks alright in real life, the colour combo isn't as bad as it looks in pictures. I also picked up an airbag vest for £250, so quite chuffed with that, as they are £400 usually.

Birdy

Reaction score
Hmmmm ,,, does look a bit battlestar gallactica.... cant decide if i like it or hate it !! That front end end looks pedestrian slashing tastic tho,, what tyres are they ? look semi dual sport

Birdy

Reaction score
AHA !!! looking at the pics closer its obvious! At a certain wheelie angle , that fairing will act as a wing , prolonging any ham fisted wheelies ! Genius yam, just bloody genius.... i have a swelling in my trouser area....

flydnb

Reaction score
im not convinced by the plastic on the sr , the seat as crotch said does look good will definitely save on anusol .

RichardPB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was quite eager to go not having been to a bike show yet. Was expecting roomy areas for each company with loads of shops, discounts, models and freebies. What I found was a small-ish area packed full of small shops, some dealers and almost no pretty girls.

There are loads of classic bikes for those who like them (not too fussed personally), loads of choppers and custom bikes plus a few dealers (Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, Kawasaki, Harley, KTM), however, e.g. Suzuki wasn't there which I was a bit surprised about.
Dealerships did not really seem to have any sales but were rather like showrooms. I went to Yamaha to ask if they had any accessories for my MT-09 and they told me to visit their website :D Duh...

Still, with all that, I'm not disappointed per se as I got to sit on a few bikes that I'm interested in (Fireblade, 899) but after being there for less than 2 hours I felt like I had visited all areas and not found anything particularly interesting.
At least now I know that the new Fireblade is comfy and 899 and ZX10 aren't (for me) :)

Here are a few pics for those who are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oc1n5c7efyqcebx/ANoS0UKqAa
I was trying to snap everything I could get to but with the amount of people constantly jumping on and off the bikes it proved to be quite difficult.

I did get a few freebies. Some from wemoto.com and some from Bike Safe. Signed up for a day for free (normally £45) so not all is that bad.
Hi Cypher,

Nice to see that you went to the show and visited the Powerbronze stand.

Did you get any pictures of our MT-09 to show your fellow members ? You were stood right by it when you took the photo ? :)

Rich

Birdy

Reaction score
]im not convinced by the plastic on the sr , the seat as crotch said does look good will definitely save on anusol . Thought you were more of a yam lube man fly !:rolleyes:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yamalube will save the world Birdy u mark my words lol. Was speaking to the Yamaha rep for the south today and he said the SR seat is loads more comfy compared to the MT-09 standard seat. No bollox crushing dip near the front of the tank and lots more comfy on long rides. Only downside is that they are not available to buy until the SR is officially launched in a few months time...

flydnb

Reaction score
]im not convinced by the plastic on the sr , the seat as crotch said does look good will definitely save on anusol . Thought you were more of a yam lube man fly !:rolleyes:
I love yamalube always have a bottle on me.

Twozup

Reaction score
Cypher- From the pics you've taken I see what you mean about the lack of pretty girls. Or any girls at all for that matter :-(

Click [HERE] then {HERE} x2

Cypher

Reaction score
I love yamalube always have a bottle on me.
What flavour is it? Strawberry or banana?

Cypher- From the pics you've taken I see what you mean about the lack of pretty girls. Or any girls at all for that matter :-(
Indeed. There were a couple but probably in their 30's and not really the girls that make me excited.