Shameful dealer performance

pipski99

Reaction score
Ok, from the top:

20th November, I ordered my bike, plus fly screen, comfort seat and tank protector from the dealer and was told the accessories would be fitted when I picked it up.

25th November, spoke to the salesman when I went in to leave my p/x the day before I was due to pick up the bike. On 25th he told me that the accessories would not be fitted as they were not in stock. He told me then that they would be available and fitted during the first service after 6 weeks.

6th January the bike went in for the first service and they said NONE of the accessories had arrived yet. After the service finished they then found the fly screen and tank protector but said that the seat was still not in stock with Yamaha. The parts department took my details and mobile number again, which they already have on record, and said that they would chase up the seat with Yamaha and call me.

13th January, today, I went to the dealer, having not heard anything from them and was told the seat was still not available, so I demanded a refund and got it after a few attempts at excuses and blaming Yamaha for not producing / distributing the accessories quickly enough due to it being a new model. While I was there the parts people checked Yamaha's order system and told me that the seat would be with Yamaha Europe on 2nd February and with the dealers "A couple of weeks" after that. If they can check and find this information while I'm at the counter in their face then why did they not tell me this sooner or during the last week while I have been awaiting a call with news?

All I can say is "Shameful". This dealer took my money and lied to me numerous times then just ignored me and failed to keep me informed of any news or update at all, then tried to fob the blame off to Yamaha for their inability to supply the sales demand. As far as I'm concerned this dealer IS "Yamaha" and my money was paid to them and it is they who have given me terrible customer service.

Name and shame time: Colin Appleyard motorcycles, Keighley, West Yorkshire - you should hang your head in shame.

Rant over, and if anybody knows of a dealer in their area who have the seat physically in stock then please let me know and I may order one.

Stripy

Reaction score
Pipski,

Sorry to hear about your sad experience.

I have just mailed my MT-pusher and asked if he have got any news on subject, so I will be back shortly :)

Stripy

Reaction score
Sorry, not great news, but at least they're honest!

I've been in touch with Damien from SMC bikes in Sheffield.
As it turns out, they are in the same situation with both seat and a few other accessories from Yamaha.
There might be dates, but they are reluctant to give them, as they are likely to be pushed further out.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I will check with my dealer, Tinklers in Norwich. I was there last week and they have all their accessories fitted to a show bike, screen, rad gaurds,rear sets, but not sure about seat. As far as I am aware, they have most accessories in stock. You could always give them a call, Tel 01603 627786

Spot

Reaction score
Same story here with CMC at Cannock. Awaiting some extras and current estimate is 3-4 weeks but to be honest that suits me. Only becomes an issue for me if it drags on much longer than that.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Dont spend the £199 and have your current seat re modeled by the likes of Tony Archer for a fraction of that figure.

Also bear in mind that if your bike is Datatagged you could well have one of the transponders inserted into the foam somewhere.

I honestly think the "comfort" seat is one of the most overpriced pieces of sales tat.

Ok, from the top:

20th November, I ordered my bike, plus fly screen, comfort seat and tank protector from the dealer and was told the accessories would be fitted when I picked it up.

25th November, spoke to the salesman when I went in to leave my p/x the day before I was due to pick up the bike. On 25th he told me that the accessories would not be fitted as they were not in stock. He told me then that they would be available and fitted during the first service after 6 weeks.

6th January the bike went in for the first service and they said NONE of the accessories had arrived yet. After the service finished they then found the fly screen and tank protector but said that the seat was still not in stock with Yamaha. The parts department took my details and mobile number again, which they already have on record, and said that they would chase up the seat with Yamaha and call me.

13th January, today, I went to the dealer, having not heard anything from them and was told the seat was still not available, so I demanded a refund and got it after a few attempts at excuses and blaming Yamaha for not producing / distributing the accessories quickly enough due to it being a new model. While I was there the parts people checked Yamaha's order system and told me that the seat would be with Yamaha Europe on 2nd February and with the dealers "A couple of weeks" after that. If they can check and find this information while I'm at the counter in their face then why did they not tell me this sooner or during the last week while I have been awaiting a call with news?

All I can say is "Shameful". This dealer took my money and lied to me numerous times then just ignored me and failed to keep me informed of any news or update at all, then tried to fob the blame off to Yamaha for their inability to supply the sales demand. As far as I'm concerned this dealer IS "Yamaha" and my money was paid to them and it is they who have given me terrible customer service.

Name and shame time: Colin Appleyard motorcycles, Keighley, West Yorkshire - you should hang your head in shame.

Rant over, and if anybody knows of a dealer in their area who have the seat physically in stock then please let me know and I may order one.

Fish1216

Reaction score
The problem is the bikes are a 2014 model and only a handfull of bikes were available to dealers to see what the demand would be like, the demand has been a lot more than they expected, most of the parts havent been made in bulk yet so only a handfull of people have got these accessories, im still waiting on a screen, engine protectors and my full akra race system, been told February will be the month everything comes in, but the waiting list for the bikes is now may!! Just got to be patient, were lucky enough to have the bikes before there officially released just enjoy it as it is and it will benlike Christmas all over again when the extras arrive.

pipski99

Reaction score
I do understand there is a problem with Yamaha supplying the accessories, but this dealer have given terrible customer service and no information at all. The least they could have done is tell me when the part is due at the time I pay them my money, not keep me hanging on and make me chase them for news. I find it unacceptable to promise to chase up information and call the customer (me), then not do anything.

If they knew in November, December or January that the accessories will not be available until mid to late February then they should have said so at some point and given the customer (me) the option to place the order and wait or just wait until the accessories arrive and be able to shop around.

If I decide to buy an Akrapovic exhaust will I go back to Colin Appleyard? I think not.

jamesmvagusta

Reaction score
Same again

I think half the members are in the same boat, I am still awaiting seat / screen / Akrapovic.

Even so my local dealer (Road and Track, Isle of Man) did keep me informed and have not bulls...ed me.

Roll on summer.

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Hi there jamesmvagusta,

Yeh I'm waiting for my fly screen from R+T as well.

Will have to meet up when the weather gets a bit better for a blast an a cuppa mate.

Cheers daps