Steering damper ?

bill

Reaction score
I was riding in the weekend and I noticed how light the front end is. There was wind but at speed the front came a bit loose from the road and got a slight wobble on, is it damper time, has anyone else come across this ?

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
Hey Bill, wich part of the country you are from?
I'm in the south-west.

Birdy

Reaction score
Funny but under hard accelleration in the first 3 gears my front end loses contact with the road too !!! Come on yamaha this must be a fault !:rolleyes:

Stripy

Reaction score
ROFL :)
Enjoy it :p

HAve a look with your local HyperPro-pusher for some quality parts :)

bill

Reaction score
I was riding in the weekend and I noticed how light the front end is. There was wind but at speed the front came a bit loose from the road and got a slight wobble on, is it damper time, has anyone else come across this ?
Just re read my comment, I like the front wheel coming loose and up under hard gas i 1 2 3rd thats the spirit of the bike, but I was in 5th gave gas and it became loose and started wobbling, I had a head wind this may have helped in some way, but it took me of guard a bit.

flydnb

Reaction score
Just re read my comment, I like the front wheel coming loose and up under hard gas i 1 2 3rd thats the spirit of the bike, but I was in 5th gave gas and it became loose and started wobbling, I had a head wind this may have helped in some way, but it took me of guard a bit.
where were you sitting on the seat and how hard were you holding the bars, sometimes just adjusting where you sit on the bike can stop this or people sometimes hold to hard on the bars and this can cause a wobble , as you said headwinds can cause it.

bill

Reaction score
Hi Flydnb, yes I was siting a bit back holding on to hard I,m sure. I have always had heavy bikes so I guess I should just get used to a great amazin light bike. No regrets ;)

relz

Reaction score
I noticed the same issue for the first time this week.

I was driving up a good road, faster than usual (it was pretty fast, right up near the speed limiter), and at points the road was a bit uneven... at two of those points the handlebar wiggled. I too have been riding for years on a heavier bike, and have hardly ever felt such a thing.

It's not very pleasant...
Now i'm considering some kind of damper too. But since I don't have any spare money to waste, I'll just have to ride not so fast (on uneven roads)

flydnb

Reaction score
I noticed the same issue for the first time this week.

I was driving up a good road, faster than usual (it was pretty fast, right up near the speed limiter), and at points the road was a bit uneven... at two of those points the handlebar wiggled. I too have been riding for years on a heavier bike, and have hardly ever felt such a thing.

It's not very pleasant...
Now i'm considering some kind of damper too. But since I don't have any spare money to waste, I'll just have to ride not so fast (on uneven roads)
have you adjusted your suspension as this could cause issues for you on bumpy roads, its worth getting it set up if your going to be riding it hard, take into consideration where you sit on the bike as well as , also check your tyre pressures as well before worrying about steering dampers.

flydnb

Reaction score
I have had a lot of experience of riding bikes with off road/trail tyres and long bouncy suspension and at speeds over 70 where you sit is important also making the suspension stiffer especially on the rear shock, I rode from Bournemouth to Silverstone last year 260 mile round trip on my wr250r cruising at 80 mph and sometimes hitting 95mph but all very stable, I just set up ready. The trouble with a soft shock and slightly longer travel than a normal naked like the mt has is that under acceleration the back can sort of over compress and also transfers your weight back , this can cause a weaving feeling, the trick is to get that back harder, and don't hold the bars to tight as this can make it worse.

stevecbr

Reaction score
As flydnb has said, I have upped my rear preload, and dropped my front preload (more rings showing). I have not had a problem. I did find on my FZ6N my textile jacket would billow in the wind, making the bike weave a bit, but this I think was down to the jacket acting like a sail. It was worse with a rucksack as well, but improved with a tighter fitting leather jacket

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've wound the front shocks rite in so only 2 of the lines r showing on both forks and wound the screw on the right fork in all the way and wound it out half a turn. The rear shock has been cranked up to the 6th notch and the screw is the same as the one on the front forks. The bikes suspension is factory set or an 11 stone person. I'm 13 stone so it's been set up for my weight now and it handles like a dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

relz

Reaction score
have you adjusted your suspension as this could cause issues for you on bumpy roads, its worth getting it set up if your going to be riding it hard, take into consideration where you sit on the bike as well as , also check your tyre pressures as well before worrying about steering dampers.
My tyre pressure is OK, but I haven't touched the suspension much at that point besides softening the rear preload (all the way down, perhaps too soft...).
I'm starting to methodologically experiment with the suspension settings today. I started by hardening the rear rebound a bit (two turns in).
I plan to ride on each setting for a couple of days, until I get it right for me.

I have had a lot of experience of riding bikes with off road/trail tyres and long bouncy suspension and at speeds over 70 where you sit is important also making the suspension stiffer especially on the rear shock, I rode from Bournemouth to Silverstone last year 260 mile round trip on my wr250r cruising at 80 mph and sometimes hitting 95mph but all very stable, I just set up ready. The trouble with a soft shock and slightly longer travel than a normal naked like the mt has is that under acceleration the back can sort of over compress and also transfers your weight back , this can cause a weaving feeling, the trick is to get that back harder, and don't hold the bars to tight as this can make it worse.
Actually my bike was fine up to 100mph, it was when I was approaching 125mph that the trouble started (let's all assume it was on a legal racetrack, of course :rolleyes:)

I've wound the front shocks rite in so only 2 of the lines r showing on both forks and wound the screw on the right fork in all the way and wound it out half a turn. The rear shock has been cranked up to the 6th notch and the screw is the same as the one on the front forks. The bikes suspension is factory set or an 11 stone person. I'm 13 stone so it's been set up for my weight now and it handles like a dream
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems that you and stevecbr have done opposite adjustments on the front fork preload. Interesting that the setting varies so much between different riders.

psychoattractor

Reaction score

I'm just over 11 stone and i have my suspension set up exactly the same as this

Last edited: