Would You Buy A Demonstrator?

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Im interested in peoples thoughts on this. My first reaction is no. It's been thrashed in its break-in period and could have issues later down the line…..

But then i started thinking about 'hard break-ins' where people deliberately ride the bike hard from day 1. I did this in a new car once, and it had 5bhp over two other cars on a dyno day. Now that could be just down to the engine, and nothing to do with the way the engine was broken in but i have no way to really know.

The other thing is you can get a few nice accessories thrown in. There are a couple of MT-09's out there with less than 1000 miles and £600 off the price, but with £400 accessories fitted. I think if they offered a better discount, as technically its a second hand bike i'd go for one.

p.s Do dealers have to be registered as an owner to have a demonstrator? Would i be the second owner on the log book?

W8ENN

Reaction score
I had the chance while I'm waiting for mine. I decided to wait as you don't know if it's been run in properly. I was only offered a $400 discount

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Yeah, its the un-known thats the worry. Also, getting a new bike is a rare and fun experience. Having 500 miles on it kind of taints that experience a bit… Although, one just came up today actually, with a load of accessories and the Akrapovic exhaust for the same price as a new standard one, with 500 miles on it. VERY tempting. But i have sort of agreed (with myself lol ) that i'd get an ABS model.

tox

Reaction score
. That bike has been through the rev limiter every time it's been out. And also been ridden wrongly every time. Not saying most people can't ride. Hey I race bikes and I treated it like I stole it. If your going to sell it at about 40,000km you will probably not have any problem. At the end of the day you want the warranty.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
It depends if that bike has been used for test drives or if it has only been exposed in a showroom.
In the first case, I would never buy such a bike even with a hard discount on it. Too many riders. That sucks for the clutch. My opinion.
In the second case, I don't know. Maybe...

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Im pretty sure its the first one. It will be the bike that customers have used for test rides.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Pidcock Triumph in Nottingham just sold a 600 miles one owner bike that was traded in against one of their bikes.
It had a screen, rad covers and the tank pad. Race blue went for £5995 over the weekend. I went to see it as they opened last week after the Christmas holidays. I did think about it as mine hadn't been paid for, but I got the call that same day to say I could have the deep Armor early.
One owner, it would have been run in correctly, so why are Yam dealer demo bikes more than £5995 ?

stevecbr

Reaction score
You will be 2nd owner on log book, and if price was right I would buy it. There are always disagreements about running in, I think as long as the engine is warmed, thrashing it from new does no harm, the vast majority of bikes never get to 30000 miles before they are crashed or scrapped

marcusfordus

Reaction score
That'll be 3 miles like mine on Saturday :rolleyes:

You will be 2nd owner on log book, and if price was right I would buy it. There are always disagreements about running in, I think as long as the engine is warmed, thrashing it from new does no harm, the vast majority of bikes never get to 30000 miles before they are crashed or scrapped

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is an ex demo. Had 205 miles on the clock and wasn't ragged at all as the owner went out with the test rider every time. Got the akra, fly screen, MT-09 engine sliders and R&G tail tidy thrown in as they were all on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sporti

Reaction score
The demo I took out had already been dropped. I wasn't familiar with the area, but went out with someone who does & has an MT-09. He was equally as interested as I was in actually putting the bike through its paces....

.....no way known I'd buy a demo of one of these bikes.......

It might be different if we had snow & ice everywhere, but we don't.....

my 2c

relz

Reaction score
I bought mine, a two month old Racing Blu with 3000km on the clock, from a Yamaha salesman at the dealership. Apparently new ones are impossible to get at the moment in Israel...
He said that it was his private bike (and that's what was in the license), and only he'd ridden it. Taken good care of it, proper break-in etc. The used bike was about 2250$ cheaper than a new one would be.

After a few days I discovered (nice) photos of my bike all over the web (you might have some issues with the Hebrew fonts, but the pics should show OK):
fullgaz
doogri
auto
cars.walla

Apparently the central Yamaha dealership used it for their MT-09 launch day, to which local motorcycle magazine reporters were invited. Evidently the various reporters had a go on my bike :mad:

I'm currently in the midst of a dispute with Yamaha Israel, to get some kind of reimbursement for the deceit (as I call it). They are clinging on to the (strange) argument that it was the salesperson's personal bike, and he can do whatever he sees fit with it (e.g. giving rides out to lot's of reporters :confused:)

I do really like the bike, and don't want to cancel the whole deal... and considering that (as far as I know) only a handful of experienced motorcycle riders rode it hard (presumably during the break-in period), I don't think too much damage has been done. But I'm really pissed of at them for lying to me like that.

Anyway, seems that I've, unintentionally, got a demo bike too :rolleyes:
At least I've already got a photo book on the web, showing some nice turns and wheelies with my bike. And it was 2250$ cheaper than any other one that I could by in the country at the current time...

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I would have no issues buying an ex demo bike, they will still come with loads of warranty left and are usually decked out with some nice goodies.
My Honda Civic car was an ex demo when I bought it, four months old with 5,000 miles on the clock, saved £3,000 on the list price and still had 32 months warranty left.

Birdy

Reaction score
Thats a bit naughty of the dealer , relz !! Bike journos not exactly known for their mechanical sympathy , but like you say they know how to ride , and as long as no horrible noises or crash damage i wouldnt worry.Still try to get a better discount tho, or maybe ask them for the akrapovic ! Good luck