Yamaha and first year models

Ditch

Reaction score
What is their reputation? I know they had several early problems with the FJR, but that is a more complicated bike and also a long time ago. Thoughts?

Hellgate

Reaction score
I'd say overall very good. I've owned several first year bikes over the years and there is typically one or two recalls but nothing major.

I had an '82 Yamaha Vision that had a carb recall, an '06 FZ1 - no recalls but they updated software over the years, an '08 Buell 1125R that was a disaster, and a '12 Aprilia Tuono V4R - two recalls, a demand sensor, and a coolant manifold. Both were due to supplier errors and took the dealer 60 minutes to replace the parts. No big deal.

With this new bike, if I wanted a naked bike, I'd jump right in. This is going to be a hit, just like the Yamaha Bolt.

Ditch

Reaction score
So awesome! I used to be a Honda guy but they are geting waaaaay too conservative. This is so great that Yamaha had the balls to go in a new direction that is actually appealing to riders that have been at it for a while.

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
I agree, Yamaha has always had a solid reputation. I agree with Hellgate, I would totally jump in on this, if I am interested in one. Not sure if I want to switch away from my FZ1, but maybe for the wife, she would like the lighter weight, and it would be an upgrade from her last bike.