Yamaha FZ8 will continue its career at the sides of the MT-09 (FZ-09) WHEW!

T

tango

Yamaha_FZ8_yamaha_MT-09.jpg

Yamaha has just revealed its very new Yamaha MT-09, which causes already many reactions that for its line, its strategic positioning or its philosophy. One could in particular wonder whether its arrival would put an end to the career of the Yamaha FZ8… we know.

The arrival of an innovation such as Yamaha MT-09 raises many questions, in particular that of a replacement within the range, the manufacturers not being able to multiply the production lines (in particular that the engines) unbounded.

We asked to Alexandre Kowalski, marketing director, communication and competition of Yamaha Motor France, if the new Yamaha MT-09 were going to replace the Yamaha FZ8 and its answer is clear: “At all. The new MT-09 is able to form a new departure at Yamaha. It is a new starting point for the MT initials which indicate “Master degree of Torque”, and which means that the accent was related to the couple bring new feelings of control, a road approval of a new kind between the stall torque and a reduced weight, the line of the Yamaha FZ8/Fazer8 will continue its career on its side”.

Name FZ-09 reserved for the Yamaha MT-09 for the US market was dictated only by the fact that the American branch of Yamaha did not invest much on previous the MT family (MT-01 and MT-03) and the decision makers American preferred to exploit continuity name FZ.

Read more @ BikesDoctor

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They say it will but we know how that works... (FZ6, FZ6R). It wont last long. It is not financially smart to have both. FZ8 isnt selling that great as it is. Maybe a year, then it will be dumped. Just my opinion.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They say it will but we know how that works... (FZ6, FZ6R). It wont last long. It is not financially smart to have both. FZ8 isnt selling that great as it is. Maybe a year, then it will be dumped. Just my opinion.

OOOO We need an unlike button lol... JSP you are probably correct. I think the FZ8's days are numbered.

Brock Kickass

Reaction score
Pure speculation, but if there is a new FZ1 in the works the FZ8 will be a great way to use up a lot of FZ1 parts that Yamaha might have built ahead. I bet the FZ8 lasts as long as the parts do and then it will fade into the hall of classic Yamahas.

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OOOO We need an unlike button lol... JSP you are probably correct. I think the FZ8's days are numbered.
:) I love the FZ8! Just don't see it happening really. At least not in the US. Other markets may allow for it, but statistically speaking, Yamaha usually does not have more than 1 bike in a CC sport category in the US market at least. FZ6 lasted all but a year once the 6R came out. Heck, most other regions get tons of options, and faired vs. naked versions, etc. We get 1. :) Hopefully we can set a new trend and appreciate these bikes and start getting more options like other regions. Would be nice.

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
I was thinking the same thing as Jay. With the new and cheaper FZ-09, the already struggling sales of the FZ8 will be murdered. It would be silly for Yamaha to keep it around. But I agree, since the FZ8 is very similar to the FZ1, they could be trying to use up current parts. It would be pretty awesome to see a Gen 3 FZ1. They have had the R1 and R6 for quite a long while, along with the FZ1. With all the changes they have made over the years to the R1/R6, there has been minimal changes to the FZ1. I think it is time for a change. Maybe I should just call up Yamaha to tell them that.

yesovi91

Reaction score
The fz8 won't last much longer in my personal opinion. With the new and cheaper FZ-09, the already struggling sales of the FZ8 will be murdered. It would be silly for Yamaha to keep it around, like Rabbitman said. :)

Cobalt

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm also with Jay... I think the FZ8 will be put to pasture... I'm also wondering if the FZ1 will continue or will that be replaced with something newer.... or will this FZ-09 put both the 8 and the 1 out to pasture. The FZ1 is the same damned bike for 8 years running now.... granted it is a great bike though... ;)

BDazzler

Reaction score
I also believe the FZ8 will not survive. It's ashame, because it's a nice bike, especially with the 2013 adding adjustable forks and a nicer looking exhaust.

On a side note, there's a semi local dealership that carries all the Jap brands. They have a 'new' FZ6R and a 'new' FZ8. They are both OBVIOUSLY 2012 models (the FZ6R is white with a black frame, not a red frame as the 2013 has) and the FZ8 is the flat gray with the old exhaust and non-adjustable fork of the 2012. They have BOTH labeled as 2013 models. I even pointed out to a sales idiot (really young guy that didn't seem to know much about motorcycles) about the error on the FZ6R. I went back a few weeks to a month later and they are both still labeled as 2013 models. I can't imagine them getting away with the lie for a sale, but they are either dishonest (my guess) or stupid. Either one makes me mad and I won't buy a bike from "Thompson's Motorsports" in Terre Haute, IN. I just wanted to vent about that.

I was just wondering if the hold over FZ8 after they get canceled (assuming they do) will hold their value or get big discounts. A greatly discounted FZ8 hold over (especially a true 2013 or above) would be a great buy.

decooney

Reaction score
I sat on the new FZ-09 on display at MotoGP this year.

Definitely smaller than the FZ8 in size and scale. If you are over 5'10 and with a weight over 190lbs, it squats and just feels small to me. A girl next to me at 5'5" tall sat on it and even she made the bike look small.

When I spoke to the Yamaha regional rep, he said they will continue to make the FZ8 worldwide, and might stop importing it to the US for a while and they will see how the market goes.

IMO the FZ-09 is going to attract a whole new market of buyers. There are those who will continue with the FZ8 due to its size, feel, R1 based I4 engine platform and more. I was super excited when reading about the FZ09 for the first time. After sitting on the FZ-09, I really like my FZ8 that much more. Two very different type motorcycles and its great that Yamaha is making such incredible motorcycles to choose from in this price range.

goonanc

Reaction score
i just picked up the '12 fz8 from motomadness, here in clt. $7k all in!! i like the gold forks. don't need all the adjustable as i aint tracking it. love it! coming from H919 (mrs rides 599) this is a great bike. they do have the '13 for $8k. i am sure there is a deal to be had once the fz9 hits. i too, see the fz8 resigned to the parts bin. there aint enough room for both. shame. wish it would stop raining!!