Maxton prices

marthy

Reaction score
Many of us in the other house did swap rear damper. ZX-10, ZX6RR and I ordered a ZX-14 just to try. I upgrade my fork spring to .85kg/mm with 10W oil. Bike is a totally different beast.

Those shocks are all over ebay for pennies in the dollar. I bough my zx-10 for $65 and zx-14 for $56... free shipping. Light years better than the oem.

Im 185 lbs in gears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mikeyboy1966

Reaction score
will be getting my bike back from Maxton on Monday (had to wait for the courier company - no biggie). The bike won't be registered till 1st March for the '14 reg plate but hoping to get up to Ian Bell's in Feb to have a little play and will keep you posted
Cheers
Mikeyboy1966

mikeyboy1966

Reaction score
will be getting my bike back from Maxton on Monday (had to wait for the courier company - no biggie). The bike won't be registered till 1st March for the '14 reg plate but hoping to get up to Ian Bell's in Feb to have a little play and will keep you posted
Cheers
Mikeyboy1966

P.S. just noticed I'm a 'Junior Member' of this forum. I like that - it's been a while since someone called me young

GCRYDER

Reaction score
For anyone on a budget i have fitted an 06 ZX6R shock which i believe has a 9.7kg spring , the shock is also 8mm longer , with set spring height of 178 mm the bike sits 18mm higher than the original shock at full preload , bike sag is now 12mm , rider sag at 35mm , rider weight 76 - 78 kgs no gear , i have 10wt motul fork oil in the damper fork , the bike is now more compliant and confidence inspiring than my current R1 with Ohlins and RSV4 Tuono , cheers .

Last edited:

sporti

Reaction score
For anyone on a budget i have fitted an 06 ZX6R shock which has a 9.7kg spring , the shock is also 8mm longer , with set spring height of 178 mm the bike sits 18mm higher than the original shock at full preload , bike sag is now 12mm , rider sag at 35mm , rider weight 76 - 78 kgs no gear , i have 10wt motul fork oil in the damper fork , the bike is now more compliant and confidence inspiring than my current R1 with Ohlins and RSV4 Tuono , cheers .
How much stuffing around was it to fit the ZX6 shock?

GCRYDER

Reaction score
How much stuffing around was it to fit the ZX6 shock?
Got the info and pics from the FZ site , gotta love the Americans when it comes to modifications , trying new things and making the effort the share it :) i have turned the shock so the canister facing down so i can adjust the compression , no cutting of the undertray although the side of the canister needs to be filed down a few mm for more clearance to the rhs of the engine , cant adjust the preload in the bike , but once you set the preload right you dont have to set again , the shock only takes about 10mins to remove and refit anyway , once the you know the right angles to move the canister around to fit it in , for $150 for the shock it was worth a try , the 10mm mounting hole at linkage end has to be drilled out to suit the original 12mm bolt , although i bought a longer bolt as the new shock clevis is aluminium so a few mm thicker , i read a Suzuki 10mm sleeve can be fitted to suit the 10mm linkage hole although i prefer the thicker mounting bolt .

To be honest after about 200kms on my usual mountain and sometimes rough roads it puts a smile on my face feeling how good the shock suits the bike , where i used to scrape the pegs before i can now crank the bike over to within 6-7mm of the edge of the tyre , not easy when the very edge line of the original dunlop looks about 70 deg , midcorner stutters or corrugated bends dont bother it now , inc the cranked over 100kph + bends , in fact im that surprised with the result and the bike right now i might have to buy another helmet one size larger just to fit the constant smile :)

PS : there are a few shock length pdfs around to check which shock length to choose , the MT shock is 330mm , and the racetech site to check what weight spring comes with which shock .

Last edited:

marthy

Reaction score
ah ah... I'm Canadian but living in the USA for the past 13 years... close enough! LOL I was the first one to come up with the idea (08 ZX-10) and few other members joint the band waggon with different options. Glad it all work out for you. If you leave the jam nut loose (spring won't move around while riding) you can turn the whole spring by hand to adjust the preload, no need to remove the shock. When all set you can use a long screw driver and a hammer and gently tap on the nut to lock it up.

I should be getting the ZX-14 shock today to test it. 9.7 kg/mm spring with 330mm c/c (same as FZ09) The ZX-10 shock feel fine to me but I want to test a stiffer spring with less preload (ZX-10 has a 9.1kg/mm spring with 338mm c/c)

GCRYDER

Reaction score
Ok thanks Marthy , i did read yr post first and a triple clicker would have been nice although i couldnt find one anywhere here in OZ , i always felt the MT09 needed a bit more height in the rear , not only for more peg clearance but also to put more weight on the front tyre for a better feel and grip when pushing it , the longer shock and close to the right weight spring has exceeded my expectations , thanks again for the R & D :)
Although i am wondering if there will be any side effect over time with the shock laying down and canister facing downwards that was made to mount vertical , will the shock canister get too hot and fade with it sitting in the engine area ?

Last edited:

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Got my rear shock on order now, will be picking it up from Richard at Maxton on the 18th, now just saving for the fork conversion.

Mitch

Reaction score
Any update om the upgraded maxton suspension worth the money ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mikeyboy1966

Reaction score
Fork conversation and rear shock. The shock is noticeable firmer - I jumped between mine and Ian Bells demonstrator and the standard bike uses up about a third of the sag just sitting on it and feels dead spongy. Maxton shock much more damping and controlled springing.

Forks much smoother in action. Just bouncing up and down at standstill they are more controlled in damping.

Bike feels balanced

skooter65

Reaction score
Fork conversation and rear shock. The shock is noticeable firmer - I jumped between mine and Ian Bells demonstrator and the standard bike uses up about a third of the sag just sitting on it and feels dead spongy. Maxton shock much more damping and controlled springing.

Forks much smoother in action. Just bouncing up and down at standstill they are more controlled in damping.

Bike feels balanced
Thanks for the feedback. Any photos of the components?