Maxton prices

mikeyboy1966

Reaction score
sorry, meant to post this last week but too busy! finally got the bike on the road with Maxton fork and rear shock. Done about 300 miles and the difference between Maxton and standard is chalk and cheese. No fear of bumpy back roads now. Bike completely planted

Spot

Reaction score
PS : there are a few shock length pdfs around to check which shock length to choose , the MT shock is 330mm , and the racetech site to check what weight spring comes with which shock .
Hiya! Stupid question time.
When you refer to "shock lengths", is this measured between the centres of the mounting holes as opposed to total length of shock?

Spot

Reaction score
I should be getting the ZX-14 shock today to test it. 9.7 kg/mm spring with 330mm c/c (same as FZ09) The ZX-10 shock feel fine to me but I want to test a stiffer spring with less preload (ZX-10 has a 9.1kg/mm spring with 338mm c/c)
Marthy - Did you get the ZX-14 shock fitted and how did it compare? I believe the ZX-10 shock is 340mm, did this make a noticeable difference to the ride height?

My Toy

Reaction score
[QUOTE. As I am sure you know we have spring in both front legs, but damping only in the right leg. QUOTE]

So, is there any fork oil in the left fork leg. There must be a small amount for lubrication of the fork bushes???????????????????

M

MT account

[QUOTE. As I am sure you know we have spring in both front legs, but damping only in the right leg. QUOTE]

So, is there any fork oil in the left fork leg. There must be a small amount for lubrication of the fork bushes???????????????????
yeah theyre both wet. theyre the same deal as the ER6 and as you can see, theres plenty of oil in both legs........well, there was till these snapped off.:eek:
20140216_103518.jpg

M

MT account

i had a chat with Richard at maxton today and theyre building 4 sets of MT suspension next week, so 4 lucky people gonna be enjoying the ride soon. ill be doing mine after running it in....

M

MT account

Ouch.

Sent from outer space
he was a lucky bloke, they went 100 yards from the hotel, just snapped off for no reason! 1 km later and we would have been doing 120kph on the motorway. its not the 1st ER6 either, theres a lot that have done that after 60,000km.....hmmmmm.

RipGroove

Reaction score
he was a lucky bloke, they went 100 yards from the hotel, just snapped off for no reason! 1 km later and we would have been doing 120kph on the motorway. its not the 1st ER6 either, theres a lot that have done that after 60,000km.....hmmmmm.
Christ!

Sent from outer space

My Toy

Reaction score
Just need to find out how much is in each leg now cos I will definitely be swapping from the watery stuff that makers put in there these days. Suppose one way is to remove and invert the forks to measure what comes out but with no mainstand that could be dodgy. Or could use one of these Clarke CHT612 1.5L Oil Extractor - Machine Mart

M

MT account

Just need to find out how much is in each leg now cos I will definitely be swapping from the watery stuff that makers put in there these days. Suppose one way is to remove and invert the forks to measure what comes out but with no mainstand that could be dodgy. Or could use one of these Clarke CHT612 1.5L Oil Extractor - Machine Mart
i doubt that pipe will get down around the cartridge chap? give richard a call at maxton, hes a friendly chap and hes stripped a load of stock forks already. hes doing 4 sets next week so if anyone knows it will be maxton.

GCRYDER

Reaction score
Hiya! Stupid question time.
When you refer to "shock lengths", is this measured between the centres of the mounting holes as opposed to total length of shock?
Distance measured is Mounting hole centres

Spot

Reaction score
Marthy - Did you get the ZX-14 shock fitted and how did it compare? I believe the ZX-10 shock is 340mm, did this make a noticeable difference to the ride height?
Bump!

Has anyone got any more info on the ZX-10 or ZX-14 shock conversion?

jasonk

Reaction score
Bump!

Has anyone got any more info on the ZX-10 or ZX-14 shock conversion?
Hi Spot,

Marty started a thread on the US site (FZ-09)
He was the first (that I've seen online) to fit both the ZX-10 _and as a test_ the ZX-14 shock.

The ZX-10 is slightly longer 338 vs 330 (stock). I believe the ZX-14 is closer to 330.
He increased rider sag to compensate for the increased length. Others have kept sag to around 30mm, enjoying the quicker handling. *Always test these settings at low speed first.

The ZX-14 shock requires more trimming of the plastic underseat tray than the ZX-10 (Which can actually be fitted reservoir facing down - no trimming required) and as such the ZX-14 isn't recommended.
The ZX-14 has a stronger spring too. I believe it is closer to 9.7kg/cm vs 9.3kg/cm of the ZX-10. Stock MT/FZ is closer to 10kg/cm.

That said, the ideal is a 2006 ZX6RR shock. It offers full adjustability, a 10KG/cm spring and correct (330mm) length. These shocks are proving to be incredibly hard to find.

People have been very satisfied with the switch. This paired with a front end revalve have been reported to give great bang for buck.

Personally, I'm putting plans in place to get a Maxton shock (Which is a Piston type - vs Emulsion types offered by others.)
I feel that a shock that has been built for the MT with my weight and use in mind to be worth the cost.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Ride safe and enjoy,
jasonk

RipGroove

Reaction score
Thanks for the support Jay!

Agree, suspension is important, wouldn't help cosmetically, but functionality would make it worthwhile.

Yes, stock signals always suck. There are tons of options out there, and I have done a trick signal with an FZ8, which is what I would think would work well on the FZ-09. Oh you have no idea what I can do with a small headlight housing. The biggest trick that I have pulled off, was an FX-R projector in an FZ1-N housing, which is the smallest housing that I have ever seen. Anything is usually possible, just depends on how much you want something like that done. Looking at the pictures, it does look a little more restricted than say the FZ6R and FZ8 headlight. But I think that most will go with a D2S projector. The shroud is what usually is the issue, but there are ways to make big ones fit inside small housings. I see potential to do some flushing of LED accessories too.

I like the idea of the strut tail. Honestly some bikes with fender elims don't look right. The aluminum isn't as ugly as stock, but will function and balance out the back better.
Nice find.

Sent from outer space

Spot

Reaction score
Hi Spot,

Marty started a thread on the US site (FZ-09)
He was the first (that I've seen online) to fit both the ZX-10 _and as a test_ the ZX-14 shock.

The ZX-10 is slightly longer 338 vs 330 (stock). I believe the ZX-14 is closer to 330.
He increased rider sag to compensate for the increased length. Others have kept sag to around 30mm, enjoying the quicker handling. *Always test these settings at low speed first.

The ZX-14 shock requires more trimming of the plastic underseat tray than the ZX-10 (Which can actually be fitted reservoir facing down - no trimming required) and as such the ZX-14 isn't recommended.
The ZX-14 has a stronger spring too. I believe it is closer to 9.7kg/cm vs 9.3kg/cm of the ZX-10. Stock MT/FZ is closer to 10kg/cm.

That said, the ideal is a 2006 ZX6RR shock. It offers full adjustability, a 10KG/cm spring and correct (330mm) length. These shocks are proving to be incredibly hard to find.

People have been very satisfied with the switch. This paired with a front end revalve have been reported to give great bang for buck.

Personally, I'm putting plans in place to get a Maxton shock (Which is a Piston type - vs Emulsion types offered by others.)
I feel that a shock that has been built for the MT with my weight and use in mind to be worth the cost.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Ride safe and enjoy,
jasonk
Thanks for the info. Dunno why, but I just don't seem to be able to find Marthy's thread and his mailbox is full so I couldn't send him a PM.
Anyhow..... Another silly question, what's to stop you mounting the ZX-14 shock upside down so that you don't have to take chunks out of the underseat tray?
Just pursuing this as there seem to be plenty of ZX-14 shocks around going cheap.