2016 mt09

Craig w

Reaction score
Hi i had a testride on a 2016 mt09 the other day and it pretty mutch scared me as I'm not used to that sort of power ...I currently own a 2008 fz1 n found the mt09 was totally different in power .i was just wondering if the traction control will stop the bike from wheelying or help as on the test ride the front end came up on me ....scary stuff

stevecbr

Reaction score
Welcome, I have the 2013 MT09 so no traction or ABS for me. I did test ride the tracer and can confirm that it wont wheelie with the traction on full setting.
Its something you learn to live with, in A mode your always riding a fine line between wheelie/wheelspin or perfect fast drive.
The B mode soft setting calms things down no end, and is perfect for wet/winter riding

Craig w

Reaction score
Thanks m8 ..I had it in b mode that's the scary thing ....lol....I did also try the tracer but didn't like it ....

Last edited:

bobh

Reaction score
Funny - I've got a FZ8, which is a detuned FZ1, so you'd think maybe I'd find the difference between that and the MT too much. But in fact, although it is noticeably sharper, it suits me fine. Most of the time on the road I'm in standard (middle) mode - A is a bit too responsive if you hit traffic or a town, and B just feels flat.

What I did notice, when I took the FZ8 for its MoT the other day, is that the throttle on that is quite a bit heavier sprung. Maybe with the lighter throttle on the MT you're just grabbing a bigger handful than you think? Also on the MT there's zero free play in the throttle cable, so again it's easy to give it a bit too much until you've got used to that.

Mine's a 2015 model - ABS but no TC.

Luke O'Brien

Reaction score
My tracer will still lift the front with traction on. Only a Couple of inches mind, but I feel it go light and come back down with a bump at anything upto 100mph in some circumstances. I love it tho. Traction off is pretty scary tho lol

Luke O'Brien

Reaction score
Had a fair wheely just when over taking a car, was on the power in second off a roundabout approaching a bend and let off as there was a car I front, as I got to see round the bend it was clear so I cracker the throttle fully open in second and the front came up a fair few inches as I over took the car then slipped third in, off I went ... Must have looked cool as hell :p

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Hi i had a testride on a 2016 mt09 the other day and it pretty mutch scared me as I'm not used to that sort of power ...I currently own a 2008 fz1 n found the mt09 was totally different in power .i was just wondering if the traction control will stop the bike from wheelying or help as on the test ride the front end came up on me ....scary stuff
Must be something seriously wrong with your FZ1!!!!!!!!!! . Having had an 2009 FZ1 for two years and my MT09 for 6 months will concede the MT09 is fast of the mark but the FZ1 will spit the 09 out in bits, come on FZ1 is an R1 in all but name.
Having said that the MT-09 is really fun to ride.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I agree with Lew, I had an FZ1 Fazer with I traded for a Tracer last year, and also have a non ABS MT09. Both the MT's are quick off the line but the FZ1 has much more power at the top end, there is the odd occaison I miss the out and out top end of the FZ, but most of the time I am really enjoying the MT's

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There online 4 will always beat the triple in the higher revs...! It's always been the way