A few more mods

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a few more pics of the most recent mods on my MT-09 :D

Yamaha LED Blinkers with relay installed,
Akrapovic exhaust,
Yamaha Tail tidy.
2014-04-18 15.21.58.jpg2014-04-18 15.22.16.jpg2014-04-18 15.21.35.jpg2014-04-18 15.24.27.jpg

Cypher

Reaction score
You have to get rid of those stock levers, mate! They look fugly. You can get nice replacements for $20-30 from China.

Here are mine:
chinese_levers.jpg

Birdy

Reaction score
You have to get rid of those stock levers, mate! They look fugly. You can get nice replacements for $20-30 from China.

Here are mine:
View attachment 1243
Word of warning Cypher mate, there were a few posts about cheap chinese levers snapping at the pivot during hard use a while back..... of course i would not want to alarm you in any way :rolleyes: make my day ... spread dismay ....lol

Cypher

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard those warnings before. I've also heard people regularly doing trackdays say that they use them with no problems so go figure. I've had 3 sets of them now for different reasons (dropping the bike, having them broken by thieves, etc.) and they've all been good so far. In any case, I'll take my chances :)

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
did you do anything with fueling, since youv installed akrapovic?
I just changed the CO settings for the 3 cylinders from 0 to 14. I think it might be a little on the rich side as the header pipes have started blueing. Maybe I'll take it down to 13 or 12. But other than that the bike runs great and the sound awesome :)

FreakyFreak

FreakyFreak

Reaction score

Here are mine:
View attachment 1243
Cypher got myself a pair of Evotech shorties to install. Just haven't got around to it. The break lever is a bit tight and doesn't fully return. So have to wet and dry the lever a tad to get ride of the paint coating.

FreakyFreak

MadGelo

Reaction score
I just changed the CO settings for the 3 cylinders from 0 to 14. I think it might be a little on the rich side as the header pipes have started blueing. Maybe I'll take it down to 13 or 12. But other than that the bike runs great and the sound awesome :)

FreakyFreak
sorry for a stupid question (just trying to learn)
What does CO settings have to do with pipes blueing and why is it bad?:)
what about pipes yellowing?
thanks

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
Well if you enrich the CO settings you burn more fuel, more heat is created. The blueing of the pipes is a sign that it might just be a bit too enriched, that's my point of view. Anyone is free to comment on this point :) The blueing is occurring where the connectors pipes are. I will take a picture and post it here so you can see. The yellowing is normal.

FreakyFreak

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you enrich the CO settings you burn more fuel, more heat is created. The blueing of the pipes is a sign that it might just be a bit too enriched, that's my point of view. Anyone is free to comment on this point :) The blueing is occurring where the connectors pipes are. I will take a picture and post it here so you can see. The yellowing is normal.

FreakyFreak
I was under the the impression that the titanium headers and the Akra will go blue due to the constant heat cycles. Obviously I cud be really wrong lol

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
I was under the the impression that the titanium headers and the Akra will go blue due to the constant heat cycles. Obviously I cud be really wrong lol

The Akropovic header pipes are not titanium only the can itself. The headers are stainless steel.

Here is a pic of where the blueing is occuring.

2014-04-22 13.02.36.jpg

stevecbr

Reaction score

FreakyFreak
I think your wrong about more fuel creates more heat, i thought it was the other way round, engines seize when they run lean, ie to much air.
Thats why if you fit a free flow filter and/or race pipe to most engines, you fit bigger jets to add more fuel to the air mixture
As for the co mixture, isnt that just for idle mix, similar to screw on carbs, which just adjusts the mix ar idle?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I think your wrong about more fuel creates more heat, i thought it was the other way round, engines seize when they run lean, ie to much air.
Thats why if you fit a free flow filter and/or race pipe to most engines, you fit bigger jets to add more fuel to the air mixture
As for the co mixture, isnt that just for idle mix, similar to screw on carbs, which just adjusts the mix ar idle?
I think this is correct.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Akropovic header pipes are not titanium only the can itself. The headers are stainless steel.

Here is a pic of where the blueing is occuring.

View attachment 1252
Well I will consider myself well and truly told...!

Although in the whole 1900 miles I had the Akra on it never once turned blue with the CO settings on 14

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well I will consider myself well and truly told...!

Although in the whole 1900 miles I had the Akra on it never once turned blue with the CO settings on 14

Mine also has no bluing and also set on 14. I put this down to it being stainless steel, which starts changing colour at higher temps than titanium.

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
Why the F@ck are mine going blue then? Am I riding it to hard? ;)
Maybe you've done more mileage or longer single rides? I've done 800 miles total on mine, and 600 of them were break in (low revs) miles.

Sent from outer space