A smoother than STD?

Cypher

Reaction score
This morning I was a bit bored and decided to switch to the A mode just for a change. I usually ride in STD as A just feels a tad too snatchy for my liking and seeing how both these modes have the same amount of power there's just no point in using A in the city.

How surprised I was to realise that for some reason A actually feels so more refined and predictable than STD! Not quite sure how to explain it but with STD it feels like something's interfering with the responsiveness. Yes, the power is the same but there's almost like a little bit of lag when using it. With A it felt like it went when and how I told it to. You twist the throttle and you know what to expect.

I know they're quite similar but I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed getting to work through the usual traffic.

Not sure if it's related to the new camchain tensioner that I had installed, me reducing throttle freeplay I had or just me having gotten used to STD mode lately...

Anyone else feels the same way?

flydnb

Reaction score
I think its in the mind , I had it on A mode the other day and it felt like there was a bit of a flat spot in the revs then used it yesterday it seemed the flat spot had gone and its fantastic so I have no idea myself really apart from really enjoyed being in A mode on some nice fastish A roads.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A mode is the mode to be in if u ask me. B just doesn't cut it. STD doesn't make me smile but A gives me a hard on lol. I just love the fact that u can power wheelie off the throttle in 2nd and keep it there, drop it down, change into 3rd and bring it back up so effortlessly.....

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Saving up some cash to get the snatch sorted (oooh er )

Im starting to involuntarily put a finger on my brake lever, to help me rotate the throttle as gently as possible. Not good really.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We dyno'd the "snatch" out of mine mate. Very happy with the results...!

Cypher

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the slack, [MENTION=274]crotchrocket[/MENTION]? It seems to have helped me. I know others have also suggested to set the CO to 14 but I've not been brave enough to tinker with the electronics just yet.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the slack, [MENTION=274]crotchrocket[/MENTION]? It seems to have helped me. I know others have also suggested to set the CO to 14 but I've not been brave enough to tinker with the electronics just yet.
Yes throttle adjusted correctly now, including lateral movement and i have the C0 on 14. Rode it in B mode this morning all the way to work. Much better to ride, but much less power :( I want A mode with a smooth pick up !!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes throttle adjusted correctly now, including lateral movement and i have the C0 on 14. Rode it in B mode this morning all the way to work. Much better to ride, but much less power :( I want A mode with a smooth pick up !!
Dyno it dude..! U won't believe the difference. Worth the 50 odd quid

Twozup

Reaction score
How do you dial it in on the dyno trips? I thought you'd need to either flash the ecu or programme via power commander? Did you just tinker with the AFR (CO2) settings on the clock?

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. We hooked the bike (ECU) up as per the norm on a dyno run and Dominic worked his magic as always with the dyno computer...! We changed fuel/air, tick over, and then did 2 full runs. 1st one was to iron out the lean bit at 4000rpm an the 2nd run was to sort out the snatchy throttle. Was gonna put an aftermarket filter in and put one of our custom maps on but Dom says there is no point till we whack the PC5 on, so gonna wait till we've fitted that and have another crack at it...!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Does adding the PC5 give you more tuning options then? Is what dominic did classed as 're-flashing' ?? Im so out of touch with tuning, its un-true!! p.s. Does he work saturdays?? :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It gives u endless possibilities. U can do custom maps for track, fast road, city riding etc etc. U just tell him wot u want to achieve and he sorts it. no it's not re-flashing as that means u wipe the ECU and start again. We basically "helped" the ECU behave better lol. We tuned my Gixxer-750 to unbelievable lengths and that saw 187 on the clock and still pulling (on a closed circuit of course lol). We did the same with my GSR-750 and that was completely mental to ride after. Yes he works Saturdays as the workshop runs Tuesday-Saturday. I spoke with him the other day and he said if anyone wants to set up their bike he is more that happy to do it but u have to give him plenty of notice (week is minimum)! I sorted a price of £50 +vat which is a decent price for a few runs on the dyno and shed loads of fettling. If there are 2 or more of u I can get 10% of the price for u as well. I mentioned a dyno half day and he said not a prob as long as everyone turns up as he will have to sacrifice "other work" to do the dyno

Cypher

Reaction score
We discussed this on another thread and someone suggested we all ride together for one big rideout to Dom :)
I'm still up for it. I want the new Akra but if it's not road legal then my exhaust purchase is up in the air so might as well tune the stock one for now...

Spot

Reaction score
Yup, i'm still up for a group dyno-ing. Just tell me when and where to turn up.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Getting back to Cyphers original question, I rode back in A mode tonight, and agree that it does now seem smoother.
Bike has now done 1300 miles (and tensioner still fine)
Obviously power comes in stronger in A mode, but the engine responds exactly to what the throttle asks.
Now going back to standard and b mode, it seems a sloppy response, with diluted power delivery

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Getting back to Cyphers original question, I rode back in A mode tonight, and agree that it does now seem smoother.
Bike has now done 1300 miles (and tensioner still fine)
Obviously power comes in stronger in A mode, but the engine responds exactly to what the throttle asks.
Now going back to standard and b mode, it seems a sloppy response, with diluted power delivery
That is exactly the reason why i've been using A mode since the beginning...a lot more responsive and definitely smoother...