A tad less responsive after first 1000km oil change..

sprint

Reaction score
Interesting, I found that after my first oil change was done from new at 1000km it was a tad less responsive.., but only a tad ..
I guess the break in oil is thinner..?
I have serviced the with Liqui Moly (street) 10w40 semi synthetic.. (the bike is not over filled upright just under the upper mark)
Looks like a good German product..
Anyone had the same experience..?

lee1980

Reaction score
I found my MT 09 to be more smoother and less vibey overall after first service. I put this down to the throttle bodies being synced as well as new oil.
If you changed oil yourself then might be best to take to a dealer for sync.

lee1980

Reaction score
Pretty sure service schedule says so, and any bike even ride by wires still need the TB's synching as far as i understand it whether you have 2,3 or 4 etc

Locksmith

Reaction score
Can't see the tb's being syncd as part of any routine service let alone the 600mile1000k first service.

Phlewc

Reaction score
I feel that most of the bikes I have had have felt a little sluggish after being serviced - not sure if it psychosomatic or the fact that the oil is new (maybe a viscosity thing - any oil techs in the house?)

misscrabstick

Reaction score
The throttle bodies can be synched, the difference though is that it's done using a bypass screw rather than screws in the linkage, each body has it's own screw, you use vac gauges as before onto little stubs, I plan to synch mine myself soon after i have my ecu flashed while the tank is lifted.

sprint

Reaction score
Interesting, I found that after my first oil change was done from new at 1000km it was a tad less responsive.., but only a tad ..
I guess the break in oil is thinner..?
I have serviced the with Liqui Moly (street) 10w40 semi synthetic.. (the bike is not over filled upright just under the upper mark)
Looks like a good German product..
Anyone had the same experience..?
Ok I found the problem.. my bike was overfilled slightly at the 1000km service.. I drained the oil to under the full level marking but the damage was done.. opened up the reed valves, and there was the problem, 2 reed valves badly brown with burnt sludgy oil.. it robs the bike of power & throttle response..
So that is something you could look at if you have lost performance.. Take my advice rather under fill the oil a bit.. Reason I found this problem is because I found my vfr1200 also lost some performance also caused by overfill., replaced the reeds & WOW throttle response back to like new bike..

chump

Reaction score
There are reed valves in the air injection system, mounted on top of the cylinder head. But you'd need to overfill the oil more than some to reach them.

sprint

Reaction score
Yes it is the secondary air system that draws air from the air filter. . It should only draw air to the exhaust valves.. , but if they become peluted, they allow exhaust gasses to flow into the air filter housing disrupting fresh air flow to the intake throttle body.. it actually has a profound effect on performance & response i have first hand experience on this now.. ps. Especially with roll on power when the solonoid in the induction path is open..
Spoke to a couple of mechanics now, they are all amazed about The results I have discovered..
The response Is much more immediate & forthcoming again as it was when I purchased the bike new..
Fixed exactly the same issue with my vfr1200. Some bikes are more prone to pelute the reed valves than others, RATHER UNDERFILL THAN OVERFILL!!
Lot's of work to replace them, but WELL worth it..

Last edited:

Tracer Dave

Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't get it, how can you over-fill with oil, when you know, by the service book how much oil the engine takes, not forgetting the visual glass. :confused:

sprint

Reaction score
Guess he just was not carefull. . Not his bike, so what if the glass is totally oiled over.. :mad:
Now I am dealing with the aftermath.. since they are the only Yamaha dealership in my vicinity to service for my warranty, I have instructed my next service to supervised by myself.. I have mailed the pic's of my reed valves to them.. their answer is don't know how it happened. . SO WARNING TO YOU ALL, CHECK THE BLOODY OIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT..!!! My new way of filling is going to be 75% between low & full mark..

sprint

Reaction score
Precautionary measure you don't want any oil pollution in the system .. does not have to be so full..

chump

Reaction score
More likely that the oil contamination has come down from the airbox. Very unlikely that minor overfilling of the oil has caused this.

Toppie

Reaction score
I feel that most of the bikes I have had have felt a little sluggish after being serviced - not sure if it psychosomatic or the fact that the oil is new (maybe a viscosity thing - any oil techs in the house?)
Jeez,...that's new one on me.
I've been riding for over half a century and have never, ever, had a bike run worse after an oil service than it did previously.