Aaaaaand... I dropped my new bike today...

Cypher

Reaction score
Yup, I did. Believe it or not but I didn't really expect it to happen. I supposeI can be proud of (probably) being the first one to drop a MT-09 in UK or even in the whole world :D

Anyhow, I went to Epping Forest with a friend of mine today to check out bikes. There's a small area where they usually conglomerate which is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51...TE4s1V6iFkxw&cbll=51.657188,0.037026&t=m&z=11

We arrived, had coffee, walked around checking bikes and eventually decided to head home. The area was quite muddy and wet as it's been raining non stop for what feels like years in London now so tires got a bit dirty. I started the bike up, approached the end of the road that can be seen on the right side of Street View and prepared to turn right onto the road that you can see on the left side of Street View. Waited for my friend, waited for a gap in the traffic and rolled out slowly still holding the clutch halfway and not even revving much. As I was about to straighten out the bike the back wheel suddenly just slipped and weeeeee, off I went!

All I remember is me sliding along my bike, watching sparks from handlebars rubbing against the asphalt and thinking "F***! I've finally done it...". I probably skidded some 3-4 metres so not too much.
Luckily there were lots of bikers who saw that. They instantly rushed towards me, picked up the bike, asked if I was fine and rolled it back onto the end of the road which I exited before the crash, which I was very thankful of! Helped me check the bike too.

So, my outcome is:
* right end of the handlebars scratched
* engine cover scratched in 2 places
* rear break pedal scratched tiny bit, almost can't see
* back of the right mirror scratched, also insignificantly
* bruised knee
* Contour+2 scratched a bit but luckily still working
* hole in my jacket and another one in my trousers
* and most annoyingly, broken off front brake lever (see attached picture)

Otherwise, thank god nothing else. Most importantly fuel tank is intact and oil still inside my bike.

I attached a picture with arrows pointing at where I scratched it. Haven't got one after the crash, will post it later if anyone is interested.

Everyone at the lot were surprised that I didn't do any more damage and said that I was rather happy to get away with so few scratches.
Someone said that it's a rather dangerous junction as there are oil spills and pebbles plus I had muddy tires and that I'm far from being the first one who dropped their bike there. Apparently someone smashed his brand new Street Triple to bits there a couple weeks ago. :/

So, yeah... Already ordered these CNC levers so will have blacks ones now. Will probably leave the engine covers till summer. It's only cosmetic anyway.

Two questions though:
1) Are engine covers replacable? I wouldn't mind replacing my scratched one with a new one.
2) What are the crash protectors at the ends of handlebars called? Maybe someone can even suggest me a replacement I could buy?
3) I hope the levers are ordered are correct? :D I bought them after reading this thread: http://www.mt-09.net/forum/mt-09-modifications/152-adjustable-levers.html

All replies are much appreciated!

Ride safe and be very careful! The roads are very tricky at this time of year and unfortunately I learned it the hard way.
On the positive side though, I'm "glad" it happened at 3mph and not at 53mph and all I have is just cosmetic damage.

P.S.
Broken brake lever:
DSC_0269.jpg

Overall damage locations:
DSC_0266.jpg

Attachments

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Easy done this time of year. Looks like you got off very lightly, a few replacement parts and everything will look like new. How about the genuine engine case sliders, would they hide the damage ?
New bars ends, easy sorted.
Rear brake pedal, hero scar !
Paint the pair of mirrors and get the new levers, job done.

Muddy tyres don't grip.

Cypher

Reaction score
How about the genuine engine case sliders, would they hide the damage ?
They might. I ordered them 2 weeks ago and was supposed to pick them up on Saturday. Called the dealer and he said Yamaha moved delivery to February! Would've had them on if not these ridiculous waiting times.

dapsmt09

Reaction score
My heart goes out to you mate, least you got away with it realitively lightly+ it gives you a good reason to trick up your MT.

What mode were you in? If you are an experienced rider and it came as as big shock to crash there I bet the very sensitive throttle didn't help much. Only reason I say that is I was round at my mates the other day who as a long pebbled drive and it was a nightmare to get up and down it smoothly.

Cheers daps.

Stripy

Reaction score
Cypher,

Sorry to hear, best part is yourself is relatively unhurt (maybe except the pride;) )
Shit happens - despite my 17 years experience, I've tried similar experience. You have no idea if a truck had been there minutes before, dropping a bit of oil, grease or something that would make it bad condition for a biker during turn. The time of year taken into concideration can also lead to many other factors.
We live and learn. Newborns fall and bang their heads. Same can happen to newborn bikers :)

I've seen that R&G also make an engine cover. They are pricey though, but maybe worth it?
I think i'd go for the cheaper crash bungs instead. (They are all severely overpriced anyway)
A brake lever and blinker is always deemed to go, when things gets too tough and music plays :)

The brake lever is compatible with those from some of the newer R6, FZ1's etc, have a look for part number 5VS-83922-00 on google

DNFDOUG

Reaction score
You may have to switch the copper sleeve on the clutch lever to get it to fit. Just press it out with a small socket.

Cypher

Reaction score
What mode were you in?
B mode. Don't really want to make it any harder for myself in these conditions with A :)

(maybe except the pride;) )
Oh, that for sure! :D

I've seen that R&G also make an engine cover. They are pricey though, but maybe worth it?
I saw them yesterday. The idea is good but the execution leaves to desire for more. In my view they look ugly comparing to the stock look.
I'll visit some dealers later on, ask if it's possible to replace them. Hopefully should be, it's just a part after all.

One of the bikers that helped me yesterday said "Just leave them till summer, the bolts will fill up with dirt and it will get scratched by other debris anyway", which might actually be a good idea.

Regarding stuff being overpriced, being new to motorcycle world I'm rather surprised how manufacturers inflate prices with no reason. Things like crash bungs, for example, which are essentially just plastic with bolts - £50, £60, £165! They're just doing it because they can. I suppose the market is rather "niche" and riders don't have many alternatives apart from not buying at all.

The brake lever is compatible with those from some of the newer R6, FZ1's etc, have a look for part number 5VS-83922-00 on google
The ones I ordered are compatible with FZ1 '06-'13. I'll let you know how they fit, they should arrive tomorrow.

I'm sure more will follow you
Let's hope not!

Thanks for the condolences everyone! :) Just please don't think I'm bragging or crying, just felt like sharing my first "proper" fall.
May this act as a reminder that things can go wrong when you least expect it! :)

Chris West

Reaction score
My heart goes out to you mate.
Not had the pleasure with the MT09 (yet, fingers crossed I won't!) but have lost that battle with gravity enough times in the past to know how it feels lol

SlanGlad

Reaction score
I did nearly the same with my previous bike that I kept one year to finally swap it with the MT-09.
That's so frustrating! I hope you can get everything fixed for a reasonable price. Keep us informed.

Cypher

Reaction score
The demo bike I rode at Wigan Yamaha had bent handlebars. One of their staff slid off on a roundabout the day after it arrived.
Oh, no! That means I'm not the first one even in UK! :D

I did nearly the same with my previous bike that I kept one year to finally swap it with the MT-09.
That's so frustrating! I hope you can get everything fixed for a reasonable price. Keep us informed.
Received the new levers today. The good news - they look good and the brake lever fit perfectly. The bad news - the hole through which the bolt goes in the clutch lever is wider than the stock one's meaning the lever wobbles big time if I fit it as it is.

Here's the clutch lever:
DSC_0275.jpg

The hole I'm talking about is the one with the silver bushing(?) in the bottom left. I reckon if I could get the silver bushing out, I could use the one from the stock lever as that one is thicker (with a smaller diameter hole), if that makes sense. Here's my poor attempt at a diagram if it doesn't:
diagram.png

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do in this situation?
Is it possible to get the ring out so that I can use the one from the stock lever or would it be more sensible to sell this one and buy a clutch lever that fits MT-09?
I tried knocking the ring out but it seems to be stuck for good and won't even nudge. Getting a bigger bolt isn't an option as the whole in the casing that holds the clutch lever is only big enough for the one that's there.

P.S.
Here are a couple pics with the damage as promised:
DSC_0273.jpg DSC_0270.jpg

EDIT:
Found a guy with the same problem as me. He pushed the bushing out with sockets and a vise: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215097.
I guess I'll need to find someone who can do it for me as I don't have a vise in my flat :)

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
had my MT serviced today at my local dealers, and their MT demo has taken a knock. Apparently someone fell off pulling away on their demo ride outside the shop, dented tank, snapped clutch lever, footpegs snapped and scuffs on engine lowers. The rider suffered a broken shoulder

Stosh

Reaction score
Hi Cypher,
Sorry to read about your crash (done it myself!)
Have you got that lever sorted out yet? If not and you don't have
access to tools or a contact who can help you locally I can sort it
for you, you'd have to post the lever to me though with a measurement
of the pivot bolt, I'd press out the original bush and make you a new bush
to fit.
Cheers Stosh

Cypher

Reaction score
Hey Stosh!

Thanks! That's very kind of you to offer your help!

Actually a friend of mine was planning on seeing some good mechanic, a friend of his, tomorrow as he dropped his bike on wet leaves a couple weeks ago, bent his handlebars and now needs them straightened.
Offered me to come with him, which I will do as the mechanic will certainly have the required tools. Even if he's not going this Saturday he will definitely be doing it next weekend, so I guess I'm sorted with the lever. Hopefully...

Also thanks for condolences! I guess we've all done it. There must be a reason why bikers kept telling me that it's not a question of "if you drop it", it's a question of "when you drop it".
I foolishly thought I'd be careful and it wouldn't happen to me but, oh boy, was I wrong :)

Stosh

Reaction score
No problem,
Glad you're getting it fixed.
As for dropping your bike, most of us have done it!
My worst was taking a new FZR600 for its first service
at the dealers one Saturday afternoon with plenty of
people around. I casually pulled up and put the side stand
down, lent the bike over and got off the bike not realising
The stand had flicked back up and crash!!! Talk about embarrassing,
Bloody expensive service that was!! haha

Cypher

Reaction score
Got it fixed, mate! Decided to roam around East London looking for services, found a Kwik Fit, whose vice was broken :D They directed me to another street supposedly full of services and they were right! Stopped at one of them, asked if they could help me and they did. Took the guy 2 minutes to push the bushing out nice and clean.

Went home and changed the lever. Luckily the original bushing fits perfectly so didn't have anything else to do.
Here are some pics I took afterwards (sorry for the quality, was getting dark already at 4pm).

The bastard I needed to get out:
DSC_0280.jpg

And both levers fitted:
DSC_0276.jpg DSC_0277.jpg DSC_0278.jpg DSC_0279.jpg

Last edited: