Advice please

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at buying a 2013 MT09 ABS
Have heard reports that they had issues with the fuel mapping. How bad is it and can it be remapped ?
Lew

Locksmith

Reaction score
Hi Lew
The MT is a different beast to ride after the FZ1. The torque from the triple is very much an on/off feeling to the throttle compared to the "gentle" FZ1 throttle.
Whilst I loved the FZ, I REALLY love my MT.
I fitted a throttle tamer to make it a bit less jerky but the main addition was Kevs o2 mod (a long thread in the mods forum). Definitely the best £60 you'll spend on an MT.
Triple Trouble can organise a flash for the ECU (again a long thread in mods) but you'll have to post it from Spain but you may not feel the need anyway. B mode on the throttle is similar to what you are used to.
Like any bike you can totally mod it and spend loads of dough though most isn't really needed, whatever floats your boat.
The main difference you will find after the FZ is how frikkinn light the MT is and have an absolute hoot everytime you ride it.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Hi Lew
The MT is a different beast to ride after the FZ1. The torque from the triple is very much an on/off feeling to the throttle compared to the "gentle" FZ1 throttle.
Whilst I loved the FZ, I REALLY love my MT.
I fitted a throttle tamer to make it a bit less jerky but the main addition was Kevs o2 mod (a long thread in the mods forum). Definitely the best £60 you'll spend on an MT.
Triple Trouble can organise a flash for the ECU (again a long thread in mods) but you'll have to post it from Spain but you may not feel the need anyway. B mode on the throttle is similar to what you are used to.
Like any bike you can totally mod it and spend loads of dough though most isn't really needed, whatever floats your boat.
The main difference you will find after the FZ is how frikkinn light the MT is and have an absolute hoot everytime you ride it.
Thanks for that locksmith I have been trawling fixes here and elsewhere and as someone said sometimes issues become forumised so to speak. I am hopefully going to buy an MT-09 tomorrow 2013 bike with only 875kms on the clock ABS model and at €7595 / £5500 worth a punt, bikes in Spain tend to be pricey. Just to do a change of owner is about €200.00.
Thankfully the beer is cheap lol.

MTrider

Reaction score
I haven't ridden a FZ1, so can't compare. But I changed from a SV1000s to the MT, a Race Blu ABS registered 2/2014, so it's most likely produced late '13.
I loved my SV, used it for weekend blasts, trackdays and hollidays. Did 66.000km on it and enjoyed them all. But got tired (to old!) for the cramped sitting-position.
The MT is a completely different ballgame! You sit sporty but comfortable. Some have issues with the seat, I don't. For my weight at 75 kg, the suspension is ok, after setting rear preload to max and tightening rebound a bit both front and rear. (Rear also raised about 20 mm with other dogbones). So unless you are a big guy, I think the suspension is better than many people wants to make it.
Throttle-wise I found the stock bike to be bad! As in wery bad! It spoiled some of the vacation in the Italian Dolomites, as the on/off throttle-respons made the hairpins and tight corners a nightmare. I now have a Powercommander with O2 controller and the G2 throttle-Tamer mounted, and it's very good. Not perfect, but good enough. The Kev-O2 kit should do the job cheaper than a PC and perhaps even better.
Not all MT's can have the new Yamaha-map. Mine could not. But the fun-factor this bike delivers is insane! Only problem is, it wants you to go Way too fast. Riding your favorit road is an adrenalin-kick, as sitting on a mountainbike on steroids. It weighs......well nothing.....lifts the front when you do not expect it to, shakes the bar gently when front wheel gets light, and accellerates like many 1000 cc nakeds. I've done 1 trackday as well, and it did fine.
To sum it up, I think the MT has some issues, but they are easy fixed for small coins. It won't be perfect, but I can't see any other bike in that Price-range and type get even near as a competitor. Just my opinion.

By the way, don't sat bikes are pricey in Spain (or any other country, for that sake). In Denmark a new MT09 ABS is priced aprox. 17600Euro on the street!!!!!
Sorry, I just needed to cry a little. :-D

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi Lew and welcome aboard
Like Locksmith said, the MT is a different beast next to an FZ1.
I bought my MT after my FZ1 was written off and fell in love.
The FZ1 was fantastic but the MT...

The remap will smooth out the power delivery no end, it's well worth it.
The best thing would be to post your ECU to the uk. Simon will take care of the rest. Let me know if you want his details.
Put a lighter, (and fruitier) can/system on too, to complete the package.
You'll probably want to sort the suspension out too as it's a bit soft. Trawl through the forum for various options.
Finally, enjoy! You've the best roads and the best weather, you lucky fucker

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice lads , as you may have seen in another post I done the deal and collect her on Wednesday so we will see how she performs