Advice-tyre pressures

rob5006

Reaction score
Bike just back from its 6000 service and yet again I have found that the tyres have been given different air pressure to that stated in the handbook (36psi front and 42 psi rear) Am I missing something here when everytime I take a bike to the garage they comeback with different prees
ures....is it just a mechanic thing? Advice please (Bridgestone s20-at the moment-getting fitted with Michelin Pilor Road tomorrow. Thanks!

Locksmith

Reaction score
Ask the dealer for an explanation, is it possible they were down when you took it in and they haven't checked them (highly likely :) )

edit: Any reason for not sticking with the Bridgestones, I think they are very good.

Last edited:

rob5006

Reaction score
My tyres were 36 f and 42 rear on the dot. Always check them religiously. This isn't just with the MT09...every bike i have had when the need has arisen for it to be taken to a garage the tyre pressures have been altered. I now check tyre everytime the bike returns from a garage. I am just trying out the michelin pilor road tyres due to good feedback and good price. Seem to be very popular. Raceways at Fleetwood are selling them £185 fitted. Will assess them and see how we get along.

Last edited:

rob5006

Reaction score
Mine are also set to 36-42 front and rear respectively. Never have it any other way
Just checked the US site and 36-42 seems to be the norm. Never had any problems going with the tyre sidewall and handbook...getting tired of paying mechanics money for a service to discover time after time they are giving me a bike back with incorrect pressures..actually 30 front and 36 rear yesterday...starting to become very frustrated and just wish to establish any rights and wrongs before taking issue.

Last edited:

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Just checked the US site and 36-42 seems to be the norm. Never had any problems going with the tyre sidewall and handbook...getting tired of paying so-called mechanics money for a service to discover time after time they are giving me a bike back with incorrect pressures..actually 30 front and 36 rear yesterday...starting to become very angry and just wish to establish any rights and wrongs before taking issue with people putting me at risk on a long journey home.
IMO there is the "difference" of the air-pump clocks.
It is neccesary to check your tires pressure always with the same clock and of course when they are cold.
I've realized that many times.
And for your case the 30/36 has 6 psi difference than the suggested stantard pressure 36/42. So, one clock of 2 arrises more or less (i can't say whose is the correct) 6 psi.
A few weeks ago i'd checked my tyres pressure in a tyre-shop on way back home.. the clock showed 32/38, so the techician fill them with the "correct" 36/42.
But a couple of days then, i checked again their pressure on my mechanics counter and.... they were pumped up at 40/46.
So its obvious that the 2 counters have 4 psi "distance" & i have to check right air pressure ONLY at my mechanics.... or to buy a brand new air-pressure-clock just to find-out the differences everytime i need it.

marthy

Reaction score
Using 30/30 cold temps here with Angle GT. +10% front & +20% rear from cold to hot if the guide line.

Once the suspension us set up right, this is about how a tire should look like.

rob5006

Reaction score
Using 30/30 cold temps here with Angle GT. +10% front & +20% rear from cold to hot if the guide line.

Once the suspension us set up right, this is about how a tire should look like.

Thanks Marthy...it looks like you have a nail in your tyre from the foto. I have checked the tyres at the local service station and the readings are identical with my hand held device....so if its all a matter of calibration then it would appear that the garage is the odd one out. I have always stuck to 36-42 and had great performance from the bike...even in scotland with all kinds of road surface and conditions. No reason to deviate from said settings...confidence in them. Will be taking readings again tomorrow when PRs are fitted....taking my pressure gauge with me and will have it out with mechanics should readings be different again.(Different garage Raceways of Fleetwood this time and not Spring court in Rochdale)..watch this space!

rob5006

Reaction score
Have now re-caliberated my tyre gauge using the readings from 4 seperate sources...3 of them quite bang on, this leads me to believe my correct assumption that Spring court Garage of Rochdale are gave me back my bike after its 6000 service with 7psi in each tyre under the handbook recommendations of 36 f-42r. Goodbye Spring court garage !

Locksmith

Reaction score
Maybe (wrongly) they have no idea their gauge is wrong. Perhaps a call would be in order to enlighten them to maybe prevent a future accident for an unsuspecting client!

rob5006

Reaction score
I think the chap who did my service has put 650 cc generic air pressure in the tyres 30-36psi. I Wasn't happy with the customer service anyway in all honesty. Said that he would ring me back when the service was done...but i was left wandering around town trying to pass the time until i could take no more and returned to the garage to see my bike all done and dusted. I was then ignored for about 20 minutes whilst the mechanic had an ice cream and chatted to a group of people about a good bike....had to interupt his social circle to get his attention and request to pay the bill...it was like i was invisible! Went to Raceways in Fleetwood on sat for two new tyres and they couldn't have been more helpful. Made me a brew, did the tyres whilst i waited, gave me a discount,correct tyre pressures, great inter-personal skills....that's how it should be done! They now have my customer loyalty!

Locksmith

Reaction score
Sound like a bunch of tossers - sod em then.
Had a similar experience with Quick Fit around 30 years ago, haven't been back since!

Y

youngy

Sounds like you found a very good place in Raceways and a very poor one in Spring Court Garage. One to avoid in the future then eh?

rob5006

Reaction score
Sounds like you found a very good place in Raceways and a very poor one in Spring Court Garage. One to avoid in the future then eh?
Yes...some garages think we owe them a living. I am an easy going person and just expect a professional service with a bit of appreciation of my custom along with some manners. Robinsons of Rochdale need a customer service course as well. Raceways of Fleetwood and Sheffield motorcycle centre are honour graduates.