*****aftermarket ecu flash*****

Do we rename the two ECU threads for ease of reading?

• Total voters

RipGroove

Reaction score
Just wandering whether or not to keep the throttle tamer on...super smooth....might have to have a play...try both.!
Oh for sure, worth trying both for some super smooth action [emoji41]

rob5006

Reaction score
I was also wondering that. I suspect that it won't do any harm.
I will find out on Tues. when mine goes in ...logic would suggest a smoother initial roll-on. Reports are saying that the bike retains its 'beast' acceleration....playtime!

RipGroove

Reaction score
I will find out on Tues. when mine goes in ...logic would suggest a smoother initial roll-on. Reports are saying that the bike retains its 'beast' acceleration....playtime!
You must report back here at after a nice test through the rev/speed range.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Lee (a mechanic @ Raceways) has been riding the 09 since it came in and always liked it. He is a spirited rider and took it out last night. He was not overtaken!

He said he felt the real benefit mid-corner or on roundabout where he had to be more cautious about when and how much to roll-on. He says that the new mapping has eliminated any concerns.
Liking the sound of that [emoji106]

rob5006

Reaction score
Lee (a mechanic @ Raceways) has been riding the 09 since it came in and always liked it. He is a spirited rider and took it out last night. He was not overtaken!

He said he felt the real benefit mid-corner or on roundabout where he had to be more cautious about when and how much to roll-on. He says that the new mapping has eliminated any concerns.
Lee CAN ride...like my mate Gareth...he can fly-and loves it to bits....looking forward to this....bet this is the news that MCN Neaves does not want to be hearing....looks like one less thing he can make a song and dance about when trying to mark down the MT09 in favour of his other...'favourites'!

Last edited:

matt.b

Reaction score
It says in MCN that the re-map is "not reversible" surely this is garbage and the ECU could simply be re-flashed with the old settings if you wanted to?

RipGroove

Reaction score
It says in MCN that the re-map is "not reversible" surely this is garbage and the ECU could simply be re-flashed with the old settings if you wanted to?
I doubt it is technically irreversible, it'll be Yamaha not willing to do it.

sigtrm

Reaction score
I doubt it is technically irreversible, it'll be Yamaha not willing to do it.
It is irreversible, just think, if you overwrite old one with new one, how in the world do you want to get the old one overwritten back?

RipGroove

Reaction score
It is irreversible, just think, if you overwrite old one with new one, how in the world do you want to get the old one overwritten back?
By flashing it back on, just like when you flash the firmware on a phone. Flashing is never irreversible, all you need is the original file.

matt.b

Reaction score
I reckon it's just a line they put in there to discourage people plaguing dealers with calls that they have 'changed their mind' or 'want to try it again the way it was' etc etc.

rob5006

Reaction score
I reckon it's just a line they put in there to discourage people plaguing dealers with calls that they have 'changed their mind' or 'want to try it again the way it was' etc etc.
Think you've hit the nail on the head there....!

Last edited:

jens

Reaction score
he phone me today and told me that some other guy ask about it i live near his shop

relz

Reaction score
By flashing it back on, just like when you flash the firmware on a phone. Flashing is never irreversible, all you need is the original file.
Not necessarily accurate...

I work with various embedded devices, which generally use a some kind of flashing process to install software.
When you flash a device via USB, for example, you're not directly overwriting the flash chip. Rather your interacting with a bit of pre-installed software (often called a bootloader) which performs the actual flashing onto the chip.

Before commencing with the actual flash, that software could (and should) perform checks, e.g. the validity of the software being flashed, that its a newer version than what's already installed, or it could not allow anything to be flashed...

If the latter is the case, you might need to dismantle the flash chip from the board of the ecu and forcefully flash it using a high voltage on certain pins, or what ever other method the flash manufacturers describes, in order to overwrite the bootloader itself...