*****aftermarket ecu flash*****

Do we rename the two ECU threads for ease of reading?

• Total voters

RipGroove

Reaction score
Not necessarily accurate...

I work with various embedded devices, which generally use a some kind of flashing process to install software.
When you flash a device via USB, for example, you're not directly overwriting the flash chip. Rather your interacting with a bit of pre-installed software (often called a bootloader) which performs the actual flashing onto the chip.

Before commencing with the actual flash, that software could (and should) perform checks, e.g. the validity of the software being flashed, that its a newer version than what's already installed, or it could not allow anything to be flashed...

If the latter is the case, you might need to dismantle the flash chip from the board of the ecu and forcefully flash it using a high voltage on certain pins, or what ever other method the flash manufacturers describes, in order to overwrite the bootloader itself...
I understand that fully, but Yamaha could have allowed the current 'old' fuel maps to be flashed back on afterwards by creating an update that would overwrite the 'new' maps.

Anything is possible if you can bothered to actually do it.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Not necessarily accurate...

I work with various embedded devices, which generally use a some kind of flashing process to install software.
When you flash a device via USB, for example, you're not directly overwriting the flash chip. Rather your interacting with a bit of pre-installed software (often called a bootloader) which performs the actual flashing onto the chip.

Before commencing with the actual flash, that software could (and should) perform checks, e.g. the validity of the software being flashed, that its a newer version than what's already installed, or it could not allow anything to be flashed...

If the latter is the case, you might need to dismantle the flash chip from the board of the ecu and forcefully flash it using a high voltage on certain pins, or what ever other method the flash manufacturers describes, in order to overwrite the bootloader itself...
Well, that is true relz, but ecu flash in most cases is just updating the data section (lookup table) of flash not code section*.
While what you described is valid anti tampering measure I do not think this is the case here.

*Just the simplification for sake of clarity.

relz

Reaction score
Well, that is true relz, but ecu flash in most cases is just updating the data section (lookup table) of flash not code section*.
While what you described is valid anti tampering measure I do not think this is the case here.

*Just the simplification for sake of clarity.
I agree that most likely the Yamaha flash is only changing data, rather than code, which is fully reversible by rewriting the old data.
I was just commenting that if Yamaha want to perform a irreversible flash, as they say, it is possible.

The easiest way to find out, is to just try.
Perhaps someone with a dealer friend (hint hint TT), is willing to flash the Yamaha version, and then try to overwrite it with another version.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Triumph have recently upgraded their ECU done to prevent non approved maps being used on their latest bikes.

Whilst you can still use third party software for simple tasks like reading fault codes and balancing the injectors, any attempt at a remap results in a fried ECU.

Could work out a very expensive experiment.

robodene

Reaction score
In the UK, Yamaha are running 'Dark Side' roadshows. At one of these, a Yam guy apparently said that the 're-flash' is to introduce emulation of a snail cam of a cabled throttle. When Triumph did this to their Street Triple with a mechanical one they were surprised to find the bike ran significantly more economically. More tank range would be welcomed on an 09, you'd think (if that's how it works out).

RipGroove

Reaction score
In the UK, Yamaha are running 'Dark Side' roadshows. At one of these, a Yam guy apparently said that the 're-flash' is to introduce emulation of a snail cam of a cabled throttle. When Triumph did this to their Street Triple with a mechanical one they were surprised to find the bike ran significantly more economically. More tank range would be welcomed on an 09, you'd think (if that's how it works out).
This is what the G2 does, only it does it at the handle bar end of the cable.

Thunder Child

Reaction score
To suggest this is only a virtual G2 style update is silly. The engine braking is significantly reduced as well.

This is basically how the bike should have shipped originally.

I've seen some people suggest the snatchy and aggressive initial opening is fun and makes the bike feel fast. An aggressive initial throttle opening is not how you make a fast bike. It's how you make a scary/dangerous bike mid corner on anything except a flat race track - especially with the terrible MT09 suspension.

A smooth initial opening (and closing) of throttle makes a faster bike as you can more easily get on the gas in the corner. Since the update i've been wheelying out of corners whereas pre-update I'd have to slip clutch and really play it safe for fear of the thing doing something retarded.

RipGroove

Reaction score
To suggest this is only a virtual G2 style update is silly. The engine braking is significantly reduced as well.

This is basically how the bike should have shipped originally.

I've seen some people suggest the snatchy and aggressive initial opening is fun and makes the bike feel fast. An aggressive initial throttle opening is not how you make a fast bike. It's how you make a scary/dangerous bike mid corner on anything except a flat race track - especially with the terrible MT09 suspension.

A smooth initial opening (and closing) of throttle makes a faster bike as you can more easily get on the gas in the corner. Since the update i've been wheelying out of corners whereas pre-update I'd have to slip clutch and really play it safe for fear of the thing doing something retarded.
From what I've read the new map only alters the initial roll on so shouldn't have reduced engine breaking?

The more I hear about it though the more I think I'm going to get it done.

Also I agree 100% that a smoother bike and rider will equate to a faster rider. It may not "feel" faster, but from A to B it will be.

Thunder Child

Reaction score
From what I've read the new map only alters the initial roll on so shouldn't have reduced engine breaking?

The more I hear about it though the more I think I'm going to get it done.
It definitely feels improved on the engine braking front to my mind. There's still engine braking but not as much as before.

Kinjane

Reaction score
I've modified my throttle (a la Tox) and have duplicated the same low speed response on the 09 as I had on my last bike.
So am able to take advantage of muscle memory without having to relearn how the bike will respond for a given twist of the wrist at slower speeds - now this really helps.

I won't be going in for a remap, and if Yamaha have managed to close the door on 3rd party remapping, perhaps having a virginal ECU will improve resale ;)

Edit :- got bored and had it remapped - far easier to make progress due to the predictable nature of the power delivery and having more of it :) :) :)

Last edited:

sporti

Reaction score
I've modified my throttle (a la Tox) and have duplicated the same low speed response on the 09 as I had on my last bike.
So am able to take advantage of muscle memory without having to relearn how the bike will respond for a given twist of the wrist at slower speeds - now this really helps.

I won't be going in for a remap, and if Yamaha have managed to close the door on 3rd party remapping, perhaps having a virginal ECU will improve resale ;)
I haven't read the whole thread, but how could Yamaha close the door to aftermarket tuners?

Kinjane

Reaction score
Bottom line is that nobody knows for definite until someone tries, and if Yamaha have followed what Triumph have done with some of their 2014 models...

I personally hope not because somewhere down the line I might wish to pay someone back for their time & knowledge investment by way of a performance upgrade :)

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
This has been a very interesting topic, I find the throttle to be, on/off, snatchy etc, just as many of you have found, and was on the verge of a G2 and DNA, may still do the DNA anyway as better quality than stock..

This new ECU update as describes should eradicate that to a certain extent... Good news all round!

But, as the ECU cannot be reversed then this can cause an issue.. For years now any 'firmware' update has a coded 'version checker' on the boot loader... Apparent in any mobile and PC etc... Already mentioned by another member.

So my issue would be, if this flash is done discretely under service (or at riders request) and it behaves like a bag of nails afterwards then it is still Yamaha's responsibility to correct this (firmware v3).. So with any firmware update I reckon you can only go forward and not back, it still poses a risk, but as it's been tried and tested and is being released on new supply then it shouldn't be a problem, I will pop down my dealer in the next few days and have a chat...

boro

Reaction score
YES YES YES
Had mine done today and this is how it always should have been. STD mode is now your always go to mode with A for fun and B for the rain.
Can't detect any loss of power or get up and go, just a lot smoother from closed and small throttle openings.
If you have any issues with the current throttle then I can only say do it.
For me the fun is back and I can concentrate more about my all round ride and less on what the throttle might do.

RipGroove

Reaction score
YES YES YES
Had mine done today and this is how it always should have been. STD mode is now your always go to mode with A for fun and B for the rain.
Can't detect any loss of power or get up and go, just a lot smoother from closed and small throttle openings.
If you have any issues with the current throttle then I can only say do it.
For me the fun is back and I can concentrate more about my all round ride and less on what the throttle might do.
Another good review then!