anyone considering "upgrading" to MT-10?

dragonclaw

Reaction score
I test rid one last Saturday, great bike, handles a dream and is quick but i felt it was missing something. Sounds a bit daft but the 09 you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck to keep it in line when you really want to ride it. One of my older mates compared it to a modern take an a RD400 because of that trait. The MT10 is to easy to ride quick and i don't like it, it bored me. Also in 40 minutes of riding (could of had an hour but took it back) i used quart of a tank of fuel, the 09 is bad enough with it's 130 mile tank.

I went into the test ride thinking i shouldn't do it because i had built myself up to possibly getting one in the near future if i liked it. But came back off it not regretting having the 09. Still leaving the picture on my garage wall because i do like the look of the MT10 :p

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I test rid one last Saturday, great bike, handles a dream and is quick but i felt it was missing something. Sounds a bit daft but the 09 you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck to keep it in line when you really want to ride it. One of my older mates compared it to a modern take an a RD400 because of that trait. The MT10 is to easy to ride quick and i don't like it, it bored me. I went into the test ride thinking i shouldn't do it because i had built myself up to possibly getting one in the near future if i liked it. But came back off it not regretting having the 09
Couldn't agree more. Had a '10 demo this morning at the MT Tour at Boxhill. It's very planted, handles extremely well and is a doddle to ride. But that's just it - it's almost too easy. You do have to grab the '09 by the scruff of the neck, whereas the '10 is almost dull in comparison. I did like the ride position over the front more so, and it does sound sublime when 6k plus on the revs. The seat hardness is worse than the '09 and one's testiclay are squished on the tank worse than the '09, especially under heavy braking. Like Dragonclaw, I did think that the '10 could be my next bike, and I enjoyed the demo ride, but ultimately came away thinking that the '09 is, without doubt, the Daddy of the range and I made the right decision (not that I had a doubt, but you get my drift). I have no doubt the '10 will set the world on fire for many, but for me, the power delivery and torque set up of the '10 isn't right for me and my predominantly City riding (bar weekend hooning). I like full-on power delivery of the '09 which the '10 doesn't seem to deliver. Unless of course I wasn't riding it properly, which on a demo isn't difficult, but there were a fair few options to rag it and it just wasn't '09-like enough for me, personally. The over-complex looks are very subjective, too. There's a hell of a width of machine between your knees and I think it's fair to say, it 'aint as pretty, neat, sporty as the '09. Interesting though and glad I did the demo. But even more pleased there's a stunning '09 outside my place :D