Anyone know what this is?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. In the later models it's gonna be traction control/anti-wheelie compatible and that's where the switch gear is going to be located. There's a vid on YouTube somewhere of the Yamaha product manager telling u all about it lol

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

M

MT account

might be better used as a on off corrosion spray switch, just push the button every time it rains and the bike gets a quick spray of afc 50........

Partridge

Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up TT. Has been bugging me not knowing what that was

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Partridge, this is a switch for lights and has 3 positions when is installed: 1)lights off, 2)position lights (the two small at the edges of front light) and 3) lights on.
All the motorcycles that released in E.U. must have the lights on even on daytime for safety traffic reasons, after 2003.... The years before this wasn't obligated.
So, when our lights are on day & night, the being of this swtich is not necessary.... and in the place of switch now there is a black plastic cap.

flydnb

Reaction score
I have an actual on off switch there, a red sliding one like the start switch on the other side hmmmmmmmm

My Toy

Reaction score
Partridge, this is a switch for lights and has 3 positions when is installed: 1)lights off, 2)position lights (the two small at the edges of front light) and 3) lights on.
All the motorcycles that released in E.U. must have the lights on even on daytime for safety traffic reasons, after 2003.... The years before this wasn't obligated.
So, when our lights are on day & night, the being of this swtich is not necessary.... and in the place of switch now there is a black plastic cap.
If that's the case then Yamaha have used 10 year old switch gear, or at least the switch has been manufactured to a 10 year old design.
I'd also heard, I think in Bike mag's original feature. that it was for TC

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
If that's the case then Yamaha have used 10 year old switch gear, or at least the switch has been manufactured to a 10 year old design.
As i wrote in E.U. all the bikes have their lights on for safety reasons, when at the same time in other countries where there you can ride bikes in daytime with lights off, there are MT-09s that has the option to choose if you like to ride with the lights on whenever you like...
So IMO there is the switch that gives you this opportunity, instead of our (european) markets that we don't have it anymore..(since 1/2004 till today).

M

MT account

who wants a tenner on it being traction control for next years model? ill bet theyre just seeing how many owners throw these up the road before deciding to tame it for the next batch of owners......the ducati hyperstrada has TC, i can remember the life going out of it everytime i got a wheelspin on when testing it on the glassy roads outside town....

flydnb

Reaction score
mine has an on off next to it, im looking in the manual now, it looks similar to the start switch .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
U heard rite mate. It is definitely for TC on future models and that's from the horses mouth. I will try and find the YouTube clip and post it.

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

Chipfatbob

Reaction score
For those with a switch do you have the ABS model?
I have ABS, but no switch. Just the blanking plate. I'd like to have a button, there, which automatically opens and closes my garage door, but as I'm not an electronics/design genius I will continue to pretend it's some kind of Batman-esque cloaking device.....

M

MT account

TC would have to work with ABS so it will be for those models, same as the ducati set up. hopefully they will allow it to be tuned out in stages as well, the ducati system is very tuneable for all riding styles
.......but they didnt fit a fuel gague...durrrrrr.