Best sport touring tires for MT09 2017

marthass

Reaction score
hi, i need sport touring tires for my MT09, because sometime i ride in rain in alps. Now i have Pirelli Rosso 2 and on rain is like on ice.
I have in option Pirelli Angel GT. It is great tyre. (Michelin Pilot Road 4 is worst, Bridgestone T30 worst too). But for year 2016/2017 is interesting Metzeler Roadtec 01. Similar price. What is better for sport touring, for long mileage, wet wether, curve roads and mainly for specific light MT/FZ09 bike? Angel GT or Metzeler 01?
Thanks, Marthass

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've got roadtec 01 on mt09 tracer there a very good tyre whatever the weather,great on twistie roads,they have done just over 2000 miles and the rear tyre has 5mm left on rear I think it will be done at 5000 ish, fronts like new and kept its profile really well.ive had Angel GTs and wouldn't buy again as they soon lost there profile on rear and shoulders on front were done at under 3000 miles.

Laffli

Reaction score
Dunlop roadsmart 3 second best tyre in the rain, excellent in the dry. Put these on my Tracer, it's like riding a different bike compared to stock tyres.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Dunlop roadsmart 3 second best tyre in the rain, excellent in the dry. Put these on my Tracer, it's like riding a different bike compared to stock tyres.
What was the best tyre in the wet laffli?.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Martass, you are the first person I have ever heard being critical of the PR4's. I had Angel GT's on my FZ1 and they were good, not great but good. To be fair I lived in Spain at the time and my area the roads were fantastic, very grippy but also very abrasive and they lasted just over 2000 miles the front was shagged before the back. Profile gone in 1500 miles the tyre was just V shaped and you actually fell into a corner.
When I got my MT09 the stock Dunlops that came with the bike again decent in the dry but lethal in the damp never mind wet.
I replaced them with PR4's and now live in France so the weather is a mixed bag, I am 6000 miles in on them now. The rear has about 1500 miles to go and the front is still well within limits and has kept the profile.I will most likely replace with Pr4's again.

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
I've got Dunlop Sportsmart 2's on my Tracer, very good in the wet, super grippy in the dry.

Before I had PR4's which were also good but i changed to the dunlops on a friends recommendation, would happily put another pair on.

Both these are much better than the stock tracer tyres fitted in 2015 that didn't give a lot of confidence in the wet at all. Not even sure what they were now......Dunlop sportmax?

Shaun64

Reaction score
Depending on how my roadtec 01 profile ends up on the rear tyre I may go back to PR2s which are better than the PR3-4 in the dry and still very good in the wet,excellent tyre very even tyre wear £170 fitted to loose wheels.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Funny you should mention PR2's Shaun. I have had them on a couple of bikes and rated them highly. I was looking today and spotted a pair. Thing is are they still in production or are they old stock?

Shaun64

Reaction score
They are still in production lew and still a good seller,before I fitted my roadtec 01 I rang Cambrian tyres who are the main tyre distributor for there advice over tyre choice for my tracer because my local dealer cannot see past Michelin so it's hard to get good advice from him regards other manufacturers,Cambrian said if your happy with PR2S then stick with them as they are still a very good tyre the only difference between PR2S and the newest tyres is wet weather performance,well I only ride in the rain if I get caught in it but PR2S are good in the wet.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Hi Shaun, well they are well worth a thought as they are a lot cheaper than 3's or 4's. I never had a problem with them and my riding days at scratching the pegs are well behind me now, don't bounce as well as I used to lol.
I had PR3's on my FZ1 , they were already fitted when I bought the bike and I rode her down from the far North of Scotland to Moraira in Spain where I was living at the time. It was a very wet trip down through France and they seemed to be decent enough. On the dry Spanish roads in the very hot summer months they where bloody awful and I binned them and replaced them with Angel St's but they lasted no time at all. Next on were PR2's and they sorted the bike out okay, so I may have a look at the PR2's again for the 09.

marthass

Reaction score
Hi,
i had Pilot Road 2 on Kawasaki z750 and totally great tires.
But MT09 is more powerful, lighter, i dont know what PR4. Many poeople say that Angel GT is great tyre in my country. In MCN is PR4 on last place in last review. Is it not bad tyre, is it great tyre, but price is similar like Angel GT or Roadtec 01. I want the best.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I would take what mcn says about products bikes etc with a pinch of salt as I think they are bought men.

Roy downunder

Reaction score
Original Dunlop Spirtsmax D222

The original tyres I've had on for over 12 months and still commutable at 26,500km. I think I ride hard when touring (stable at 160kmh) and tough cornering but recent trip to Tasmania with wet roads I experienced some slippage in tight corners. And the back tyre is a bit squared.
I've been recommended to change to the Dunlop Roadsmart 3.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Roy 26,500km.on the original tyres?? certainly a different tyre they fit on European bikes by the sounds of it. My bike came with Dunlop something or other and they were gone within 2500 miles /4000kms

Bestbike

Reaction score
Bestbike

2016 MT 09 came with Dunlop tyres that lasted 2500 miles. New tyres Dunlop Roadsmart 3.
Great grip giving me confidence and good mileage.
Looks like a tyre to compete with other manufacturers.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Here is a a review of tyres tested by mcn. First Ride: Dunlop Roadsmart III tyres | MCN
After this review i decice to try Metz '01s shortly...
I have done 10K km on horrible stock D214, 15K km on first pair of PR4s and 15K km again on second.
I agree allthough they are all-terrain/all weather capable and stable... i use all of their crown in my every day commuting. For me that means that i need a more "agressive" crown shape.
According MCN on 01 i can enjoy cornering more than PR4 and that is the critical point.

Just_me

Reaction score
Had my Metzeler Roadtec 01 fitted on my bike yesterday. Only the rear tyre, the front tyre still use sportmaxx that came with the bike.