Bike before the MT09.....?

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Must admit, i did notice abit of a power difference when i switched from my DT125 RE to the MT09,,, only abit though !!!
Nice one CT, r u comparing DT top gear with MT 1st gear.... My last bike was tzr250, in 1994..... First bike back MT09.... Yeah Baby... Wot a rush...

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Always been Yamee fan, started with R125 than XJ6 diversion for first big bike but this was boring as hell and could not keep up with my wifes Fz6 so moved on to FZ8 fazer. It was a great bike. After spending koads of money to.make it my way I sat on my friends R6 and next day I bought a........ R1 BIG BANG :-D. And now after test ride on MT09 there was no other option. No other bike gave me so much fun at reasonable speed ;-)

guidow

Reaction score
I swapped my KTM SMT for the MT 09. The SMT starting leaking oil and the KTM was costing me too much on maintenance already.. Miss the height of the KTM and suspension but the mt 09 is surprisingly comfy.

Wigglerider

Reaction score
Had a Ducati Hypermotard, as well as a Triumph Tiger XC. Both great bikes, but I love the torque on this triple.

Deep Armour Swede

Reaction score
Have you ridden MT09 yet?? Can you give any comparison against KTM 990SM??
I have ridden Mt-09 but not a longer run. The 990 is a nice bike to ride long distance, and fun to, but i did not get along with the engine in low rpm under 3000rpm its not willing to work, it goes very rough down there!

Frugaltail

Reaction score
How do they compare ?
The street is the tarted up sister that slaps on a load of make up before enjoying afternoon tea...

The MT is the furiously wild child that will end up pregnant at 16.

In fairness I would of considered the street again because it does have: better bite on the breaks, better standard suspension. I will miss my quickshifter and tyre pressure monitors but I wont miss the fact that the little tart needed to be washed EVERY day to prevent massive amounts of rust especially on the exhaust system. It was very fussy about oil as it would eat certain brands (100ml per 200 miles) and it was EXCEPTIONALLY expensive to keep and service. Triumph wanted £220 for annual (6k) service and then £680 for bi annual (12k) service in order to keep that much needed warrantee in order. It was always in for some kind of replacement, all be it usually very minor. Such as, mist in headlights or indicators, water in the clocks, paint flaking off the radiator or alternator etc.

The street was and still is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, but its a bit of a faff and I wasn't happy to pay triumph money for servicing anymore. The MT offers a completely different attitude. Playing with the torque is great fun similar to the speed triple, but it feels so well refined and trust worthy. Fantastic build quality and eye for details from yamaha. Its cheaper to run and service and it is the only bike I have test ridden in the last 3 months that made me laugh as I rode it.

rob5006

Reaction score
The street is the tarted up sister that slaps on a load of make up before enjoying afternoon tea...

The MT is the furiously wild child that will end up pregnant at 16.

In fairness I would of considered the street again because it does have: better bite on the breaks, better standard suspension. I will miss my quickshifter and tyre pressure monitors but I wont miss the fact that the little tart needed to be washed EVERY day to prevent massive amounts of rust especially on the exhaust system. It was very fussy about oil as it would eat certain brands (100ml per 200 miles) and it was EXCEPTIONALLY expensive to keep and service. Triumph wanted £220 for annual (6k) service and then £680 for bi annual (12k) service in order to keep that much needed warrantee in order. It was always in for some kind of replacement, all be it usually very minor. Such as, mist in headlights or indicators, water in the clocks, paint flaking off the radiator or alternator etc.

The street was and still is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, but its a bit of a faff and I wasn't happy to pay triumph money for servicing anymore. The MT offers a completely different attitude. Playing with the torque is great fun similar to the speed triple, but it feels so well refined and trust worthy. Fantastic build quality and eye for details from yamaha. Its cheaper to run and service and it is the only bike I have test ridden in the last 3 months that made me laugh as I rode it.
A very good review...'Wild child'...lol Thanks.

Frugaltail

Reaction score
only way I could describe it! The MT09 is just filthy and excited compared to the all be it rather delicate STR.

I never felt intimidated or overwhelmed with the STR, but in A mode and an open throttle on the MT09 I have.

rob5006

Reaction score
only way I could describe it! The MT09 is just filthy and excited compared to the all be it rather delicate STR.

I never felt intimidated or overwhelmed with the STR, but in A mode and an open throttle on the MT09 I have.
Had my MT09 11 months, Done 8, 480 miles, and still grinning. It's a beaut!

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Previously a 2014 Street Triple R, had it 7 months and did nearly 16k miles.
Frugal described the difference perfectly, one thing I got complacent about was the handling, it just went where you pointed it, finding the MT to be a bit more "involved" but great fun... Not too impressed with the Dunlops though, especially in the wet.

flydnb

Reaction score
the dunlops were not wonderful in the dry either after 1500 miles , mine were skidding out of corners which is fun in some ways but not confidence inspiring.

steve byrne

Reaction score
Yam 1000 exup, fireblade (early) cbr 600's x 3 R6, 400 MX bike now the MT iam really pleased with it i use it for commuting to work and scratching at the weekends

steve byrne

Reaction score
mine has Bridgestone S20's they are good, but tend to flatten in the middle at 2500 miles i have hard that Metzeler M7 sportec RR's area better all round tyre so i think i shall try them next.

shinyharley

Reaction score
Harley 1200 Sportster, Honda CRF250M, 1992 Suzuki GS500E cafe racer project....chopped Hog in for MT09, still have the others...love the MT :)

marksim

Reaction score
Some past bikes

Yam Fizzy,Suz X7,Yam LC 350 x2 Proddy raced them,Kawa ZXR400.ZXR 750L1,Fireblade,Ducati 996,Yam R1,Kawa ZX10R x2
KTM SDR and then the MT-09

Current Bikes

Suzi RGV 250,Kawa KR1s 250,Yam RD400F,Yam R6 Trackbike and MT-09