Booked in at dealer

pipski99

Reaction score
I called the dealer at 09.00 this morning to get it in and checked for the cam chain tensioner. Can't speak to service as lines are busy so left a message to call me back.

Called the dealer again at 11.30 as hadn't had a call back - lines are busy so was asked if I want to leave a message to call me back. Told her I already did 2 hours ago - said she had emailed them and will email them again.

Went to bed at 13.00 as I'm working nights and got to be up at 17.00 to go to work for 12 hours.

Dealer called me back at 15.00 and booked it in for 09.00 tomorrow morning so they can have a listen to it and confirm the fault. They will then decide if it's safe to continue riding it and let me take it home or will keep it and send me on a loaner while they submit a claim to Yamaha, wait for them to send the parts and get it repaired.

If it takes 6 hours to get to speak to the service department and the part is on back order with Yamaha with a wait time of 3 weeks (info from this site yet to be confirmed with the dealer) then I could be waiting a while.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Popped to my dealer last week for a chat about the MT09 (and look at the MT07)
He said he had now sold 13 MT09's, and wasnt aware of any cam chain problems. Certainly none of the ones he has sold have gone yet.
Mine has now done 1250 miles, no problems yet!

pipski99

Reaction score
While I don't doubt the honesty of the contact at your dealer, I work for a motor manufacturer who shall remain nameless, and we will never acknowledge there is a common fault with a product.

There is a standing instruction to all staff never to disclose known issues so you won't get an honest answer from me if you were to ask "So, have a lot of starter motors failed on this model?" or "So do you get many clutch release bearings failing then?". You would always be told no, not especially, no more than any other faults, not that I know of, or some other flannel / BS.

Cypher

Reaction score
While I don't doubt the honesty of the contact at your dealer, I work for a motor manufacturer who shall remain nameless, and we will never acknowledge there is a common fault with a product.

There is a standing instruction to all staff never to disclose known issues so you won't get an honest answer from me if you were to ask "So, have a lot of starter motors failed on this model?" or "So do you get many clutch release bearings failing then?". You would always be told no, not especially, no more than any other faults, not that I know of, or some other flannel / BS.
I guess it's a double-edged sword - it's unfortunate but to be expected.

I, personally, never trust anyone, doesn't matter how nice they are. I know that they're all in this business to sell stuff and make money, not to make me happy. At the same time, though, I still expect some fairness and honesty and, surprisingly, the dealership I bought my bike from - Lamba in Carshalton - are very good in this regard. The guy told me everything about camchains on Yamaha bikes when I got my first rattle without even asking, which I quite liked. Treat me like a human and I'll be coming back for more :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Popped to my dealer last week for a chat about the MT09 (and look at the MT07)
He said he had now sold 13 MT09's, and wasnt aware of any cam chain problems. Certainly none of the ones he has sold have gone yet.
Mine has now done 1250 miles, no problems yet!
Mine got the dreaded "rattle" around 1300 miles I think

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm REALLY lucky as my dealership is across the road from my house and it's my friend who is the sole owner of it. As well as a Yamaha dealership it's also a Suzuki dealership so very busy indeed. He has told me that Yamaha are not concerned (at the moment) regarding the cam chain tensioner as they have released the revised part to be fitted as and when. Also...because "most" people hear the rattle and think...."um that's not right, I think I'll get it looked at"! That (for the time being)! will alleviate the need for a recall.

pipski99

Reaction score
I took it in as arranged, got mechanic and service manager listening to it and confirmed the fault then the lies began:

1. Well we haven't heard anything about this and haven't had any others in with this problem. (I can expect this as I said manufacturers won't admit a "common" problem)

2. But we didn't sell many of these, in fact I think yours was the only one. (Bullshit called on this one. I know the sales team and they sold at least 4 before mine. There was just no need for this lie)

Anyway, it was agreed the part had failed and they would submit a warranty claim to Yamaha and have the new part sent out - ETA for part 3 days.

Later today I got a call from the dealer saying Yamaha were not going to send out a new part as their rule is that the dealer must manually adjust the cam chaine tensioner first and this could cure the problem. So now have had to book the bike in again for Thursday morning.

Disappointed.

pipski99

Reaction score
Sadly to hear, pipski.
Was it Colin Appleyard, you bought it from?
It was Colin Appleyard Keighley yes. I had been to Padgetts in Batley before Appleyard just to see what p/x I could get for my old bike. Would things have been any better at Padgetts I wonder?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Later today I got a call from the dealer saying Yamaha were not going to send out a new part as their rule is that the dealer must manually adjust the cam chaine tensioner first and this could cure the problem. So now have had to book the bike in again for Thursday morning.

Disappointed.
Absolute bollox mate. I can tell u now that is NOT their policy. When we rang Yamaha and told them about this problem on my bike the first thing they said was....
Throw us an email with the usual info on it....vin no....etc etc and we will send a NEW part under warranty....
No more questions were asked and I was there for the whole of the phone conversation.....!
I feel that ur dealership r just stalling for time or just don't wanna do the 45 mins work changing it over FOR FREE....!

Birdy

Reaction score
My bike playing head games with me! started slight rattle at about 1000 miles ,booked it in after reading comments on here, then ... stopped ! You know THAT look the mechanic shot his mate....:eek:

pipski99

Reaction score
Update to the saga:

I went in on Thursday with the bike, the dealer adjusted the cam chain tensioner up as far as Yamaha technical support said they were allowed to and then took my bike out for a test ride - it's no better and the mechanic said it sounds like a bag of bolts, which I'm not happy about but I am happy he admits this and it's not just me :)

So he told the service manager it was no better and then I listened in on the phone call that the service manager made to Yamaha. He called and spoke to Yamaha technical support, quoted my bike chassis number and a warranty claim number that he had already put in to Yamaha a couple of days previously and also said he had been dealing with James at Yamaha. Told them the bike had been in, had the adjustments and been out on test ride and was no better so he now needed them to send out the new cam chain tensioner, which they said they would.

I got a confirmation phone call from the dealer later that afternoon confirming the part would arrive on Saturday this weekend - no long wait which I had expected. Due to my shifts at work I can't take the bike in until Tuesday and they can't repair it until late Tuesday which means I'm taking a demo bike home overnight and picking my bike up on Wednesday, hopefully all repaired and rattle free.

So, just goes to show it wasn't just the dealer being funny about replacing the part under warranty but was actually Yamaha trying to get away with having to send the part out and just trying to get a way with an adjustment.