Booked in with MCT

Tedsshed

Reaction score
After only completing 200 miles on the new MT09 I'd had enough and phoned MCT this morning and booked a slot for them to resolve the suspension issues, unless there's not a major improvement after parting with my hard earned there will be one extremely low mileage MT09 in the classifieds, shame as the rest of the bike has exceeded expectations, just a seven week wait for MCT now, busy boys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tedsshed

Reaction score
Hi Luke, thanks for asking, not sure what happened to your post its disappeared but here's my reply.
The honest reply to your question is I don't know, which is why its booked in with MCT, what I can tell you is why I'm taking it there, I've been riding from a very early age and been fortunate enough to never have been without a bike, I cover on average around 15,000 miles a year and have owned a variety of bikes all shapes and sizes, I sold a KTM950SM in 2013 and bought a Tiger 800XC as my new partner found the SM a tad uncomfortable (fair play), however I missed the fun factor of the KTM and decided the MT09 would fill the gap so bought one new a few weeks back, in two weeks of new bike ownership I would expect to have covered many hundreds of miles but alas just 200. The best way of explaining the problem, and please I'm no suspension expert is the incredible firm fork action when riding over uneven road surfaces while cornering, the front wheel feels like it wants to leave the road probably the best way of describing it is that the front wheel patters often resulting in me running wide out of corners, I find myself looking at the road for imperfection instead at looking at the exit point, on a smooth road surface no problems I should imagine on a race track it would be just fine but on real time road surfaces far from it, I'd go as far to say it's the least confidence inspiring front end of any bike I've owned. pushed hard it will pogo through a corner and it would be unfair to expect more from basic suspension units but that's not my concern here.
It's early days and I'm hoping to find a resolve as I mentioned in my post earlier overall it's a great package, love the looks, its well finished, superb motor and a great price and I also appreciate that tight manufacturing budgets will affect the quality of components like suspension but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad, that'll teach me to buy without a test ride.

stevecbr

Reaction score
There are a few on here who have used MCT in Stowmarket. Always heard good results with their work. My suspension is still standard, just adjusted as per various threads on here, fairly happy with it to be honest

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are a few on here who have used MCT in Stowmarket. Always heard good results with their work. My suspension is still standard, just adjusted as per various threads on here, fairly happy with it to be honest
God I remember doing that suspension thread years ago lol. It worked for so many people though didn't it..!

Tedsshed

Reaction score
Hi Steve, yes I've heard good things about them, I did call Steve Jordan Motorcycles but their resolve involved new fork cartridges at a cost of £680.00 sort of defeats my objective of an affordable fun bike more so if I end up changing the rear shock.

Last edited:

Unfazed

Reaction score
I set my suspension 5 clicks from fully soft on the front and it really took the harshness out.

1 full turn from fully soft on the rear (might increase this to 1 1/4 as still a tiny bit of bounce over harsher bumps) I'm 14,5 stone BTW

Not set the sag yet.

Happy :)

Tedsshed

Reaction score
Hello Mr Trouble
I did read your threads on fork set up with interest, I did try them and more, if honest I think my weather weight figure of 16 stone 220lb might be working against me here..:)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Mr Trouble
I did read your threads on fork set up with interest, I did try them and more, if honest I think my weather weight figure of 16 stone 220lb might be working against me here..:)
U would be surprised. Some of our members who tried it were definitely (by own admission)! not in the salad munching crew and they found it pretty good as well. Have a try and see. Just write down your current settings so you know where to go back to if its poo.

bobh

Reaction score
I just wonder if there's any difference between the standard suspension on the basic MT-09 and that on the Street Tracker. Spring rates, damping adjustment, fork oil, that sort of thing?

Tedsshed

Reaction score
Hi Bob, I think it's unlikely as far as I'm aware the differences are purely cosmetic, I chose the Street Tracker only because the seat height on the Tracker and the Street Rally is 2" higher than that of the standard 09