Bought Sidi B2 Gore-Tex Boots today (plus some more stuff)

Cypher

Reaction score
Took a trip down to my local J&S Accessories today and treated myself to a new Alpinestars GP Plus leather jacket, some RedRoute kevlar jeans with hip protectors and Sidi B2 Gore-Tex boots.

Went there with an intention to buy the RST CPX-C jacket but they didn't have in stock so I decided to try something similar on, which was RST Pro Series. It didn't feel too bad but I could tell that it was heavy-ish and a bit restricting. While standing it I turned to my right and noticed the Alpinestars jacket. It felt so much softer than the RST one that I had to try it on! :D
Put it on and it instantly felt like a second skin. Light, comfortable and going into my basket...

Jeans fit perfectly and feels like I've worn them for a long time already. Not much to say. Hip protectors give extra boost of confidence if something happens.

The biggest surprise for me were the boots though. They're my first proper boots (currently have Alpinestars Fastbacks) so I didn't really know what to expect. Was torn between SM-X 5 waterproof and Sidi B2's. Took literally ages to decide what to buy. So long in fact that the shop managers thought I had left already :D I kept switching between them both trying to determine which ones feel better. My conclusion was that SM-X 5 were a bit comfier to walk in and were a bit more padded inside and hence closer to the foot however they are not gore-tex whereas Sidi's are a bit slimmer, don't have so much padding inside meaning they feel a bit more harder (almost wooden in a way) but at the same time more breathing. Shame they're not gore-tex as it would have made the choice so much easier.

After long deliberations I made the decision to get Sidi's. Mostly because of their slimmer profile and thinner padding assuming that the feet won't sweat that much in the summer. Paid, put them on and jumped on the bike to ride home. Imagine my shock when I realised that I couldn't even change gears in them! :D With my current boots, just because they're so short, I can bend the foot and move the toes up and down. The new boots on the other hand I almost can't even bend. Unfortunately it was a bit too late to go back and ask for a refund so decided to stick with them hoping that they would wear in.

After riding home some 10 miles I must say I'm getting used to them. It's not as easy to switch gears yet as it was with my (now) old boots but I'm getting there. I have to slide the foot a bit further under the gear lever, which is different to how I ride now (I flick gears with tips of my toes oftentimes). Have to be a bit more careful with the rear brake too which I tend to use a lot as due to the sole being thicker I slammed it and almost locked the rear wheel a couple times :D

Overall I must say I'm satisfied with my purchase apart from the hefty amount of money that I've spent but it's all for good cause - safety :)

What about you, did you have the same experience with your first boots? Is it normal that they're so stiff? Will they wear in and start bending easier with the time? Did I make a mistake of buying them and they're not meant for upright bikes like ours?

Thanks for all the answers and advice in advance!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so I can offer only one piece of advice for you...

I bought a pair of the B2 Gore boots last month after wearing out my TCX's...

The first time I wore them on the bike I had a massive problem changing gear as the combination of the superb protection and the thickness of the gore-tex made it near on impossible to bend the boot at the ankle to change gear. This wudnt of been a problem if I was on a sports bike but I wasn't....

I ended up swapping them back for another pair of the old faithful TCX s-sportour's...

My advice to anyone who is in the market for new boots u haven't had before is to sit on ur bike with them on and see how they feel then.

Last edited:
M

MT account

biggest problem i get with my riding gear is that my laces sometimes get caught in the gearlever........bummer!
bikes 044.jpg

Cypher

Reaction score
Ok so I can offer only one piece of advice for you...

I bought a pair of the B2 Gore boots last month after wearing out my XTC's...

The first time I wore them on the bike I had a massive problem changing gear as the combination of the superb protection and the thickness of the gore-tex made it near on impossible to bend the boot at the ankle to change gear. This wudnt of been a problem if I was on a sports bike but I wasn't....

I ended up swapping them back for another pair of the old faithful XTC s-sportour's...

My advice to anyone who is in the market for new boots u haven't had before is to sit on ur bike with them on and see how they feel then.
You think they won't wear in? Any point in even trying to use them or should I rather exchange them while it's not too late? (Hopefully they won't mind refunding/exchanging them if I've worn them for 10 miles?)

What do you reckon - would these be suitable to ride MT?: TCX Infinity Gore-Tex Boots - Black - FREE UK DELIVERY

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@TT - you think they won't wear in? Any point in even trying to use them or should I rather exchange them while it's not too late? (Hopefully they won't mind refunding/exchanging them if I've worn them for 10 miles?)
I tried the "wear in theory" it didn't work, I kept getting cramp in my calves from trying to bend my foot under the selector....I lasted a week of that until I gave up and went back to the old faithful boots lol

An excellent boot for ur style of riding (flicking the selector with ur toes) is this. Spirit XCR Boots Black

I have a pair of these for the winter when I live in my C-CHANGE textiles....Lol

They are like slippers from the moment you first put them on...and they come with a free annual refurbish/check over...

Cypher

Reaction score
Interesting. The reviews seem to be good. Even though a bit pricier than I was planning on spending might be actually worth it if they're comfy. I'm leaning towards the same conclusions that Sidi's won't wear in. They're just too stiff and rigid. After all, their primary function is to limit the movement of the ankle in case of an accident so no point in sticking with them. Will got to J&S in Eltham tomorrow and get the Spirit ones :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. The reviews seem to be good. Even though a bit pricier than I was planning on spending might be actually worth it if they're comfy. I'm leaning towards the same conclusions that Sidi's won't wear in. They're just too stiff and rigid. After all, their primary function is to limit the movement of the ankle in case of an accident so no point in sticking with them. Will got to J&S in Eltham tomorrow and get the Spirit ones :)
I know wot u mean...Sidi design mostly boots for track so they are always gonna be a nightmare for upright/naked bikes...

The Daytona boots are some of, if not, thee best boots on the market. Some of their boots retail @ over a grand...u can see y they offer a free refurbishment service, they literally will change the sole and heal, New zips etc etc...u end up with almost a new boot again...lol

M

MT account

and i stopped wearing my sidis for years as i found them uncomfortable to ride in and impossible to feel the pedal/lever. then 1 time (musta been cold or summut) i tried them again and left the calf adjusters slack.....totally different boot! theyre tons better to ride in with the calfs loose as the whole boot pivots with my leg now and not just the ankle............but i still prefer to ride in shorties.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
and i stopped wearing my sidis for years as i found them uncomfortable to ride in and impossible to feel the pedal/lever. then 1 time (musta been cold or summut) i tried them again and left the calf adjusters slack.....totally different boot! theyre tons better to ride in with the calfs loose as the whole boot pivots with my leg now and not just the ankle............but i still prefer to ride in shorties.
I tried that. Where as it was ok ish in textiles, if I was wearing my leathers I gat a massive draft going down inside the boot ?

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

marcusfordus

Reaction score
I know wot u mean...Sidi design mostly boots for track so they are always gonna be a nightmare for upright/naked bikes...

The Daytona boots are some of, if not, thee best boots on the market. Some of their boots retail @ over a grand...u can see y they offer a free refurbishment service, they literally will change the sole and heal, New zips etc etc...u end up with almost a new boot again...lol
I've worn Daytona's for years, just the best out there. Ask yourself this question about your gear, if it went missing (for whatever reason) would you buy exactly the same again ? If without even thinking about the pros and cons your brain says yes, then you've been right all along with your choice :eek:

Roadstar goretex are just so comfortable and 100% waterproof, I've stood in Scottish lochs to wash them down and never had a drip come through them. Expensive, YES but totally worth it.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've worn Daytona's for years, just the best out there. Ask yourself this question about your gear, if it went missing (for whatever reason) would you buy exactly the same again ? If without even thinking about the pros and cons your brain says yes, then you've been right all along with your choice :eek:

Roadstar goretex are just so comfortable and 100% waterproof, I've stood in Scottish lochs to wash them down and never had a drip come through them. Expensive, YES but totally worth it.
Richa C-Change was almost a grand (when it first came out)! I have never been cold in the winter, warm in the summer or wet when it has chucked it down.

www.facebook.com/spudrees

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
What is the sizing on Sidi boots like in general? I'm usually a 9 but have been offered some that are 9.5.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Defiantly get the 9.5 if ur a 9.... The 9's will squeeze like a bugger. I'm a 9 and I HAVE TO buy the 9.5's or else I'm not comfortable when I'm riding as they squeeze too much.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Defiantly get the 9.5 if ur a 9.... The 9's will squeeze like a bugger. I'm a 9 and I HAVE TO buy the 9.5's or else I'm not comfortable when I'm riding as they squeeze too much.

Awesome thanks. Any info on whether the Sidi Vertebra 2 will be too stiff?

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. Any info on whether the Sidi Vertebra 2 will be too stiff?

Sent from outer space
Yes. Tried them...! Way too stuff...! I sacked the idea of sidi as all their boots r too stiff for the MT. TCX Sport-tour are winning hands down so far...! Can't fault them and I'm on my 2pair now ;)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Yes. Tried them...! Way too stuff...! I sacked the idea of sidi as all their boots r too stiff for the MT. TCX Sport-tour are winning hands down so far...! Can't fault them and I'm on my 2pair now ;)

Are you thinking the Sidi's are too stiff for the riding position of the MT or just too stiff in general for any bike?

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you thinking the Sidi's are too stiff for the riding position of the MT or just too stiff in general for any bike?

Sent from outer space
They're really stiff full stop...but really not good for the MT-09 riding style...

RipGroove

Reaction score
They're really stiff full stop...but really not good for the MT-09 riding style...
Cool thanks, might go back to TCX's then, the Richa Drift looks good for the price too.

Sent from outer space