Cam Chain Poll - Who has or hasn't had issues

Has Your MT-09 Suffered Cam Chain Issues

• YES, I've had more than one replacement tensioner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Mine started rattling today at 2100 miles on the clock. They can't sort it until next Tuesday but i have to go through the motions of allowing them to adjust it first then if it plays up again they'll change it. They said they hadn't had to replace a tensioner yet but made 'minor adjustments' to a couple of bikes.

Was interested to know a percentage of people with cam chain issues, so please tick the box if you have not had issues, so that it gives an idea of the bikes affected. I was also interested to see who's held ok after adjustment

Spot

Reaction score
I'm a "NO" but I only have 800 miles on the clock so far.

Schultzy

Reaction score
3000kms and no cam issues.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

marthy

Reaction score
+ 4K miles now and all good. It was starting to make some noise a bit at start up so I added 1/4 turn on the adjuster and did the Travis mod. (LOL)

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Im guessing they'll just turn it as you said, but whats the Travis Mod ??

Cypher

Reaction score
Had it tensioned twice and the noise came back both times. Was eventually replaced with the revised component but I have a new noise now coming from the left side of the engine o.o

P.S.
Finally we have polls!

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
yes, adjusted at first service, noise now back parts as been on order for over a week know

marthy

Reaction score
Im guessing they'll just turn it as you said, but whats the Travis Mod ??
Travis is a member in the other house. He had issue that the dealer fix and the noise came back. Long story short the problem is the adjuster is partially mechanical and can be adjusted with a allen key. Give 1/4 turn at the time and see if the noise go away... for a maximum of 3/4 turn. Part of his experiment was to make reference mark on the adjuster and he find out the screw was backing off... so the need to get it readjust. He replace the 6mm bolt (10mm wrench) for a longer one (25mm set screw with a jam nut) Once the adjuster adjusted to where the noise is gone, install the 25mm set screw "finger tight" and lock it up with a jam nut. That will keep the adjuster in place. Many did it and it seems to fix the problem once and for all.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I can not vote, nothing is applicable, Mine rattles until warm, going in tomorrow for new tensioner. they have not adjusted it, nor do they seem to want to try that.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mines a no at present (nearly 1400 miles), but have noticed it occasionally when cold and the revs are dropping. Am planning to see if it gets worse before I go to dealers

Slappyhead

Reaction score
Mines a yes. Had it replaced on Thursday at 3200 miles. Park Road in Southampton did it with no questions or problems. No rattles since, but it's early days!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! This should give a good idea to the dealer just how many are going wrong and it would appear that its at least 50%. I just WISH i didn't have to get them to tighten it first... Its really a 10 minute job but i have to leave it in Clapham on Tuesday morning then tube to work.......then the reverse later in the day. The likely hood is i'll do it all over again when i end up needing a replacement.

PaulG

Reaction score
I can not vote, nothing is applicable, Mine rattles until warm, going in tomorrow for new tensioner. they have not adjusted it, nor do they seem to want to try that.
Me too,though it's more a cyclical sound than a rattle and it seems to have stopped doing it at all now.3500km

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Me too,though it's more a cyclical sound than a rattle and it seems to have stopped doing it at all now.3500km

mine has what i'd describe as a 'knock' when started up cold. Lasts about 20 seconds (ish) from the left hand side.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I pointed out to my dealer at the first service that the cam chain tensioner had been superseded by Yamaha, they had a listen and ordered the new part there and then.

Took about a month for the part to arrive, during which it go so bad that the bike sounded like a black hack.

Replaced a few hundred miles ago and everything's been fine since.