cam chain rattle

Fish1216

Reaction score
Read a few people have had problems with cam chain rattle in the past few months but thought nothing of it, but the last 80 miles ive heard a slight rattle on the front right side od the bike, first noticeable when 2 up, last couple of weeks its gradually got louder and at about 3000-3500 rpm its quite noticable, took it to the dealers today and they agreed that it was what I suspected and adjusted the tensioner as specified by yamaha and it went away, got a mile down the road and it came back again, im only 330 miles in so far but it seems it has got to be replaced under Warranty, thought I would share this with you all as it could be an apparent problem with the mt-09 and yamaha are aware, so keep your ears open and visit your dealer if you have any worries, I will get a video to try and capture the sound tomorrow, as the bike is so quiet with the stock exhaust any strange noises do stand out

crotchrocket

Reaction score
thats frigging crazy !! 330 miles!! Do you know what type of tensioner they are, i think some are sprung and some are hydraulic, running of the oil pressure of the engine.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
These are the things where you don't want your warranty in question because you've fitted an exhaust thats not the Akra !

wayne01

Reaction score
All tensioners on mt09 are non hydraulic type its a new tensioner called a "half nut "cam chain tensioner the reason they start to rattle slightly is because its between teeth on the ratchet. If your worried take it to your local yam dealer they should be able to tweak it for you

W8ENN

Reaction score
All tensioners on mt09 are non hydraulic type its a new tensioner called a "half nut "cam chain tensioner the reason they start to rattle slightly is because its between teeth on the ratchet. If your worried take it to your local yam dealer they should be able to tweak it for you
Does this mean it will re-tension itself on the ratchet and stop rattling, or do they need to go back to the dealer?

wayne01

Reaction score
Its automatic so it will re-tension and stop rattling. Once initial break-in done shouldn't need touching

Bonsor

Reaction score
Hello mate my bike has an annoying rattle kind of sound but not all the time . its only when riding in lower revs but not when idle, bugs the hell out me maybe i will get yamaha to have a look

tox

Reaction score
Had my cam chain done today. Cam chain is manual adjust in Australia, you think it would be same all over. They gave it 1/4 turn. Job done

W8ENN

Reaction score
I would've thought it was the same engine worldwide so they must be manual adjust

Bonsor

Reaction score
yeah it is when you decelerate , do you know what it is? does yours do the same?

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I had heard something but with the akra exhaust on, its impossible to really tell. I need to put the baffle in and have a go. The sound from a loose cam chain is more pronounced on deceleration and idle and normally goes away under acceleration (it did with my Aprilia anyway.)

Cypher

Reaction score
Its automatic so it will re-tension and stop rattling. Once initial break-in done shouldn't need touching
Unfortunately it won't. My bike developed the same issue (I posted about it here before knowing what it was). Mine started at around 300 miles and never went away. I had it serviced at 600 miles and dealer said exactly the same thing - that it's the cam chain tensioner and that's it's because it's not hooking onto the teeth properly. Said they tightened it and it should be fine.

A week passed and I had the noise again! I've ridden 300 miles since the service and it's not gone away so I'll be calling them again. Couldn't do it earlier as I had the appointment booked but had to cancel it as some fockers tried to nick my bike from the parking lot next to my house a couple weeks ago. Long story but if anyone's interested there's a thread here).

The guy in the garage said that apparently it's a normal thing for Yamaha as "they are a bit afraid to overtighten bolts with new bikes", which is a bit disappoing. I paid a lot of money for it and undertightened bolts is the last thing I'd expect from a £7000 purchase.
At least it's not a terminal issue.

P.S.
In my case it's most pronounced at 2000-4500 revs. Annoys the hell out of me while standing at red lights :)

Last edited:

tox

Reaction score
My cam chain noise came back this morning after having it tightened. Have organized with the bike shop to have it replaced. Hopefully will sort the issue. Not overly bothered, it's warranty.

Fish1216

Reaction score
Got my first service out of the way now and they also replaced the cam chain tensioner under warranty, yamaha have released a different part number as a replacement and its been fine since, the shop adjusted mine twice and the rattle came back within a few miles, but the new one seems to have done the trick :)

Cypher

Reaction score
Got my first service out of the way now and they also replaced the cam chain tensioner under warranty, yamaha have released a different part number as a replacement and its been fine since, the shop adjusted mine twice and the rattle came back within a few miles, but the new one seems to have done the trick :)
That's good to know for when I call my dealer.
I suppose you don't happen to have the part number I could mention?

Fish1216

Reaction score
No sorry I didnt order the part they ordered it for me but told me the part number had changed

Spot

Reaction score
Interesting.... I contacted my dealer today as I thought that if there's a revised part they might as well fit it before I take delivery of the bike and their response was

"Yamaha tell us that there is no issue with this part. There is no revised part that has been produced. If you feel there is an issue after you have taken delivery & ridden your new bike then we can discuss it with Yamaha for you."

Hmmmmm.

This is also the dealer who initially told me Datatagging was not included as part of the deal too.

Cypher

Reaction score
Interesting.... I contacted my dealer today as I thought that if there's a revised part they might as well fit it before I take delivery of the bike and their response was

"Yamaha tell us that there is no issue with this part. There is no revised part that has been produced. If you feel there is an issue after you have taken delivery & ridden your new bike then we can discuss it with Yamaha for you."

Hmmmmm.

This is also the dealer who initially told me Datatagging was not included as part of the deal too.
Sounds like someone you shouldn't be using. Mind you, you also have to have your first service in the dealership you bought the bike from and if they're this dodgy before even selling it I personally wouldn't want to take it to them for a service either.