chain adjustment

rob5006

Reaction score
Can I just confirm that when tightening the chain and turning the chain pulling nut UPWARDS, the chain pulling nut on the opposite side of the bike must be turned DOWNWARDS.
Its not made very clear In the instruction book and I am used to tightening the chain on previous bikes by quarter turning clockwise.
I have also been advised to get someone to sit on the bike to properly assess the chain tightness.
The handbook says not to have any weight on the bike and to allow slack of 0.5-15 mm.
If weight is then placed on the bike-will it then be too tight?
Your comments and suggestions please.

Stripy

Reaction score
Rob, you're turning your nuts correctly.... :D

With regards to the tightening, I'd suggest that you first try to follow the book, then you sit up on the bike and test if the chain is like a guitarstring. If it is, you adjust again, and forget all about what the book says in that paragraph.

rob5006

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. When I checked my chain after its first service at smc, I thought it was too slack. I took it to a regular garage that I use, and was told that it was 'bang on'.I thought the chain was really slack !
Basically, it means that I have been tightening my chain on my other bikes too much. The dimensions in the manual on slackness, - 0-5 -15mm without weight, will mean that given those dimensions, when I sit on the bike, the chain will be too tight!
If I get my friend who weighs about the same as me-12stone-ish, with the handbook dimensions, the chain will be tighter than a guitar string!
At the moment, going off smc and my local garage, the chain with weight on it does feel spot-on.
Iam just confused on why the handbook would state those dimensions which appear unrealistic.
I will run it into another garage tomorrow and see what they say.
Hate these little niggly things!
Thank Morten

marthy

Reaction score
I notice the same thing... running 25mm now and work just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rob5006

Reaction score
Yes I would say my chain is at 25mm without weight. When weight is put on the bike, the chain is at a good taut. Was definitely tightening my previous bikes too tight. Never took into consideration the slack being taken up once I sat on it.